• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Diveroid smart phone scuba diving housing

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone seen this smart phone dive housing with dive computer? Looks too good to be true....
Looks pretty cool, but I agree it also looks too good to be true. I also don't think it has a separate dive computer, I think that's just part of the app on the phone. I'm not sure how it's picking up depth, etc. I guess it would be ok for a shallow dive, like 20 or 30 ft, but I personally wouldn't use it on a serious dive. My feeling is this: It's my life on the line underwater, what value do I place on it? I think I'd rather purchase dedicated equipment for the purpose than use my phone and an app. Of course, I'm not fond of using my phone for navigation, either. I'd rather have dedicated navigational equipment.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The gps chip packages on handheld devices include a barometer to improve gps accuracy. My guess is using that plus the other sensors is where the data is coming from. So basically a fancy case and an app. To play this out lets say the case material is just a hair thicker than spec as a manufacturing defect or one of the seals gets worn. I think that would lead to inaccurate readings. Perhaps it will be need to be calibrated each dive. Perhaps there is a membrane through the case that helps improve the pressure readings which translate to depth. In any case this is one of those things where good old analog instruments would be better IMO. The old depth and air gauge sets work just fine. Just add a go pro to your dive mask and enjoy the dive with less gadget distraction IMO.