• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do you carry a firearm aboard your boat?

Do you carry a firearm aboard your boat?

• Are you kidding? I never leave home without one!

Votes: 88 38.3%
  • Sometimes, depending on where I am boating

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • I do occasionally but its not something I usually think about

Votes: 28 12.2%
  • I would but I do not have a concealed carry permit

Votes: 27 11.7%
  • NEVER! I would never own, much less carry, a gun

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • OTHER (explain below)

Votes: 38 16.5%

• Total voters

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Food for thought. . . .

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-ar-magothy-attempted-murder-20180702-story,amp.html

Just because YOU don't wanna fight and may think you boat in areas where people like this aren't found too often. . . . People like this guy exist everywhere.
I'm a huge supporter of the second amendment and carrying everyday...

However there were a few key points in that story that don't bode well for victims.
1 - They allowed the situation to escalate until it became physical and violent.
2 - They did not retain their situational awareness after the altercation, allowing the (loud) PWC to return and injure them.
3 - They then followed (possibly chased down) the PWC. This could have easily ended with gun fire and death.

IF one chooses to assume the responsibility of protecting himself/ family with a firearm that decision should NOT be taken lightly and one should know how to DE-escalate a situation just as well as he/she knows how to use their weapon.

Final thought --- DON'T GET DRUNK DUMBASS!!

This was NOT a story about sober people.
Imho

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm a huge supporter of the second amendment and carrying everyday...

However there were a few key points in that story that don't bode well for victims.
1 - They allowed the situation to escalate until it became physical and violent.
2 - They did not retain their situational awareness after the altercation, allowing the (loud) PWC to return and injure them.
3 - They then followed (possibly chased down) the PWC. This could have easily ended with gun fire and death.

IF one chooses to assume the responsibility of protecting himself/ family with a firearm that decision should NOT be taken lightly and one should know how to DE-escalate a situation just as well as he/she knows how to use their weapon.

Final thought --- DON'T GET DRUNK DUMBASS!!

Imho
I didn't see anywhere where it indicated the victims were drunk or drinking.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I didn't see anywhere where it indicated the victims were drunk or drinking.
You sir are absolutely correct.

I did not mark sobriety, or rather a lack of sobriety, against the victims (other than lack of situational awareness). My last comment was purely an assumption (and possibly an incorrect one) while reading between the lines of the story. I know, personally, any time in my earlier years that you found me out on an island, late on a Sunday, getting into a fight.... I was intoxicated.

The story was a great share and much appreciated. My intent was solely to build on the information that you provided and encourage all to do their due diligence to avoid conflicts in the first point.

As momma always said - "It takes two to tango."

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would have to agree. What a mess.
Glad no one pulled a gun, actually.

"It is almost always a crime to possess a firearm while under the influence of alcohol or any controlled substance. Many states also prohibit people from carrying a firearm into establishments that serve liquor (such as bars and nightclubs), even with a concealed carry permit, and even if you are not drinking."

--

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
While I absolutely agree that every effort should be made to de-escalate these types of situations. . . . . As a victim of violence, in a completely unprovoked attack, where ZERO drugs or alchohol were involved, that landed me in the hospital for a week (and could have easily been the end of me) I can tell you first hand. . . . . Some people just have ill intentions and there is no amount of de-escalation thats going to stop them from trying to do harm.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
While I absolutely agree that every effort should be made to de-escalate these types of situations. . . . . As a victim of violence, in a completely unprovoked attack, where ZERO drugs or alchohol were involved, that landed me in the hospital for a week (and could have easily been the end of me) I can tell you first hand. . . . . Some people just have ill intentions and there is no amount of de-escalation thats going to stop them from trying to do harm.
I wish there was a 100% agree button..

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
As a victim of violence, in a completely unprovoked attack
Sorry to hear about that bud. It's terrible when horrific actions like that are placed upon good people such as yourself.

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I only don't due to the fact that everyone else on my boat is always carrying. Just kinda a fact of life in the pnw.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We just carry beer. Pass a couple beers out and all is good. Cam.

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No I do not carry although I am a believer in the rights to bear arms. I believe if one has a gun permit there should be a requirement to go to the range monthly to practice. When we are in Florida I always go tot he range and shoot.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I believe if one has a gun permit there should be a requirement to go to the range monthly to practice.
Sir, I holistically concur with that statement!

While others believe it should be a blanket right, I would like to see a nationwide permit system that requires bi-annual renewal with a concomitant gun safety and marksman course to be able to legally conceal carry;
In addition to some documented range time.

Personally I know I would feel much safer knowing that anyone carrying around me has proven their competence with their firearm, rather than just passing a background check. Just because you're a good person doesn't mean you can safely handle and utilize your sidearm.
Imho

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sir, I holistically concur with that statement!

While others believe it should be a blanket right, I would like to see a nationwide permit system that requires bi-annual renewal with a concomitant gun safety and marksman course to be able to legally conceal carry;
In addition to some documented range time.

Personally I know I would feel much safer knowing that anyone carrying around me has proven their competence with their firearm, rather than just passing a background check. Just because you're a good person doesn't mean you can safely handle and utilize your sidearm.
Imho
I somewhat agree but don’t we do this with drivers? That works so well!

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I somewhat agree but don’t we do this with drivers? That works so well!
I wish we did this for drivers. I'd love that! Where I live... Alabama, we only pay and renew.
A driving class every few years would do America good. = increase tax revenue (paying for courses), and greatly decrease insurance premiums (as drivers are forced to drive safely or loose their driver's license)
#Bennie 2020... lol

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I carry, but not on the boat. I'm thinking bullet holes and boats don't mix.

Doncore3000

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Outside of fishing in Alaska, or Somali pirates, I couldn't imagine a scenario where I would need it. And I've seen some crazy shit in my 25 years in the Coast Guard.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I carry, but not on the boat. I'm thinking bullet holes and boats don't mix.
Outside of fishing in Alaska, or Somali pirates, I couldn't imagine a scenario where I would need it. And I've seen some crazy shit in my 25 years in the Coast Guard.
Very interesting points of view gentlemen.

I holistically agree that extra holes in boats are not a good idea. That would lead me to ask, if when you carry otherwise, do you end up with holes in your house or car? A responsible firearm owner, as I am sure you are, properly carries his side arm in a safe manner. Undesired holes only occur through unsafe firearm handling. The only other occurrence is during a life threatening event, in which case a hole in my boat is the least of my worries.

I am also intrigued by the experiences hinted at by @Doncore3000. My family and I live and boat in the Gulf Coast. We have the pleasure of the beautiful water and sandy beaches, which also attract a copious amount of spring breakers and vacationers. In the short time since we've owned our boat (2015), we have already experienced a handful of very unpleasant and sometimes unruly groups of intoxicated boaters.
We are family of three, in our personal boat. Not a team of uniform wearing LEOs, which automatically induce a level of compliance. Please understand that a boat full of drunk, rowdy individuals will not hesitate to harras another citizen, where they would act completely different with a team of USCG pulling up beside them.

Hence, imho, I carry....responsibly.

Doncore3000

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
At the end of the day if carrying a gun on your boat makes you feel safe, and you think there's a scenario where you might need it, that's your right to do so. I sleep with my gun next to my night stand and I feel safer. I just have never in my career responded to a situation where I thought to my self, "if that guy had a gun he might've survived". In my experience the most dangerous thing on the water are the actual boats, and jet skis in the hands of reckless people. I would always recommend reporting any dangerous or suspicious activity to the local LEO's.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In my experience the most dangerous thing on the water are the actual boats, and jet skis in the hands of reckless people. I would always recommend reporting any dangerous or suspicious activity to the local LEO's.
Brother I couldn't agree more!! Drunk idiots behind the helm is the entire reason I stay off the water on nice weekends like this. (Memorial Day weekend)
You're absolutely correct; The reckless people cause the most severe incidents. (This coming from my years as a medic on the ambulance.)
My personal concerns are more apt to occur at sand bars, when everyone is in tight quarters, or at the end of the day with drunk, sunburn obnoxious fools at the ramp. Where unless the officer is on site, he's too late.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Rock On Doncore3000! Oh...and Bennie, no I don't worry about holes in homes and cars.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Bennie...I didn't have enough time last night to thoroughly respond to your post. My original post "..bullet holes and boats don't mix" was meant to be something for folks to consider. I am a responsible firearm carrier, with training, advanced training, short range training, practice, etc., so no, I don't worry about holes in cars and homes. But none of my training involves short range shooting scenarios on a boat rocking around on waves causing balance issues with a gas tank right below my feet while my family is all around me. So to be a responsible firearm carrier, I choose not to carry on the boat. But that's just me and my comfort level. Here in Louisville an active shooter at a grocery store was confronted by a concealed carrier in the parking lot. In the space of a parking spot, the conceal carrier shot at the suspect eight times, and missed all eight and is now responsible for all the the things he hit, including a bunch of cars. Those kind of things make me think twice about carrying on my boat.