• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Documenting the long term effect of wet-slipping in salt water

Damsroy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So it is time for this year update....
this year is the third season wet slipping in salt water.
Boat still looks like new and runs like a charm..however this year there was a little more work and money to bring the boat to top notch condition.
Besides the typical oil change, bearing greasing and new spark plugs i had to do the following:
- replace the jet pump reverse control cables. The thread at the end that connects to the spring clips was totally corroded. i also added the new wire that is connecting the anodes to the end of the control cables
- replace the rudder assembly. my steering was really stiff and reading all the threads here I purchased a new steering cable assembly. After further investingwtions the steering cables are totally fine. The rudder was totally seized. New rudder and $350 later and everything is back to being as smooth as butter. I have a brand new steering cable assembly seating in my garage for When it is time for replacement. End of this seaon? Who knows?
- removed the pumps, check the cones, sanded the pumps, etching primer and Trilux paint on the pumps. This is annual maintenance for me at this stage
- sanded bottom paint and added a new coat of bottomkote.
- treated entire hull with Rejects, all interior with 303 fabric guard And Bimini and mooring cover with 303.

This is it! Not looks and run great! 156h on each engine at beginning of the season And ready for some fun!!!

Bottom line:
- people telling you that wet slipping in salt water won't do anything to your boat are lying...There is additional care and cost associated with wet slipping in salt water.
- people telling you that those boats are not designed to be slipped in salt water have no idea what they are taking about.

There is clearly additional care and maintenance when you slip in salt water but it all worth it and boat still looks and runs great!

6F2BE61D-98B3-4BAB-A308-A23C20955313.jpeg95C02D49-F894-4CAB-AE93-1FDE7B74A532.jpeg35DC8B68-E27F-4601-A4AC-8AB0BE96D494.jpegD60F5017-0849-4E41-97D2-86EC3A6D8868.jpegC925FCE5-92AB-483C-B4A0-6A697E01076E.jpeg6F2BE61D-98B3-4BAB-A308-A23C20955313.jpeg

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So it is time for this year update....
this year is the third season wet slipping in salt water.
Boat still looks like new and runs like a charm..however this year there was a little more work and money to bring the boat to top notch condition.
Besides the typical oil change, bearing greasing and new spark plugs i had to do the following:
- replace the jet pump reverse control cables. The thread at the end that connects to the spring clips was totally corroded. i also added the new wire that is connecting the anodes to the end of the control cables
- replace the rudder assembly. my steering was really stiff and reading all the threads here I purchased a new steering cable assembly. After further investingwtions the steering cables are totally fine. The rudder was totally seized. New rudder and $350 later and everything is back to being as smooth as butter. I have a brand new steering cable assembly seating in my garage for When it is time for replacement. End of this seaon? Who knows?
- removed the pumps, check the cones, sanded the pumps, etching primer and Trilux paint on the pumps. This is annual maintenance for me at this stage
- sanded bottom paint and added a new coat of bottomkote.
- treated entire hull with Rejects, all interior with 303 fabric guard And Bimini and mooring cover with 303.

This is it! Not looks and run great! 156h on each engine at beginning of the season And ready for some fun!!!

Bottom line:
- people telling you that wet slipping in salt water won't do anything to your boat are lying...There is additional care and cost associated with wet slipping in salt water.
- people telling you that those boats are not designed to be slipped in salt water have no idea what they are taking about.

There is clearly additional care and maintenance when you slip in salt water but it all worth it and boat still looks and runs great!

View attachment 151993View attachment 151994View attachment 151995View attachment 151996View attachment 151997View attachment 151993
Where do you have your tow valves installed?

Damsroy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Under the clean out tray. Seemed to be the most convenient place to install them. Don’t want to be around hot engines after a long day on the water trying to flush the engines. Works for me. Got the valves from Island Racing.

Last edited:

bigsapper

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I need to catch up on this. Thanks for posting your experience.

Manny252

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So my 2016 AR240 has been wet splipping in Long Island Sound for the entire summer.
I will document year after year the effects of salt water on the boat and the maintenance needed (steering cables, pump housing, etc) along the way.
Boat was purchased before the start of the season in 2019 with 86 hours of fresh water use. Always trailered and stored inside during winter months. Boat has now 135 hours. No issue whatsoever to report this year.
Engines are flushed with Salt Away (I installed TOW valves) after each outing and boat is rinsed the same way. Boat is always covered with deluxe mooring cover.

You can look at the jet pumps below as well as the rudder. Not as pristine (....) as if used in fresh water but not too bad imo.
Boat hull, interior and hardware still look like new.
I don't like bottom paint and you can see the waterline but not having bottom paint was not an option.
Zinc anodes were pretty much 25/30% eaten and had to be replaced after a year.
Engine compartment is still pristine.
I know I might have to replace steering and reverse cables after two or three seasons but so far no issue.

All in all a great season and looking forward to next year!

View attachment 107046View attachment 107047

View attachment 107048View attachment 107049View attachment 107050
View attachment 107051
HI , WHERE ON LONG ISLAND ? IM IN SETAUKET HARBOR FOR THE SUMMERS ? MANNY

Manny252

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Under the clean out tray. Seemed to be the most convenient place to install them. Don’t want to be around hot engines after a long day on the water trying to flush the engines. Works for me. Got the valves from Island Racing.
CAN YOU SEND PIC'S AND INFO OF THE TOW VALVES, I NEED THEM , THX , MANNY EAST SETAUKET

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So the trade off is wear and tear on the boat or wear and tear on the trailer. Do your trailer brakes still work mine is a 2017 and the brakes are shot connectors for the lights needed to be replaced they dissolved, the leaf spring pivots are frozen and need to be replaced, boat buckles are on their last legs