• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Dometic CFX3 75DZ Powered Cooler Refrigerator/freezer for the boat

So can you set it to freezer or fridge temperatures? I see a ton of dual voltage fridge/freezers on Amazon....the Dometics are the most expensive (more or less)....I might try a cheaper one and try it out in bimini.....but you probably get what you pay for. We fish quite a bit in there (not catching HUGE fish) and always need ice before we go out. If we had a freezer big eough that I could throw a liner in it and just drop the fish in it....that would save the whole $5 bag of ice morning hunting routine....

Yes, This one has dual compartments, others are bigger if you need. The CFX3 100 is the biggest single compartment. Ours can be set digitally for freeze in both, fridge both or any other combinations. Set the freezer at 5° last night, it froze ice well. She wanted to verify temp. with a kitchen thermometer and it read 0°. It did read 41° on the fridge set at 41°. You find the right sized one and it will freeze fish.

Last edited:
Would you need ice (for the fish) if this kept everything cold? Bags of ice is for us poor people, right?
Well, or we people who don't use the boat enough to justify it. I'm sure if I put my mind to it I could afford something like this. Made the same evaluation when Bruce posted about his magical fridge. If I get out 10 times in season, that is a lot. I have nice soft sided coolers. A bag of ice is $5 (tops--and half the time I can just fill from our freezer, where I keep the freeze packs). Works perfectly well for me.

Mentally I can't justify dropping $1k+ (or even $300) in order to save $50 a year and stop at the store on the way to the boat.

If I used it every weekend and some weeknights, took it camping, went on week long excursions... that would be entirely different. Not a ding on anyone or their purchase choices--just my particular view.

Well, or we people who don't use the boat enough to justify it. I'm sure if I put my mind to it I could afford something like this. Made the same evaluation when Bruce posted about his magical fridge. If I get out 10 times in season, that is a lot. I have nice soft sided coolers. A bag of ice is $5 (tops--and half the time I can just fill from our freezer, where I keep the freeze packs). Works perfectly well for me.

Mentally I can't justify dropping $1k+ (or even $300) in order to save $50 a year and stop at the store on the way to the boat.

If I used it every weekend and some weeknights, took it camping, went on week long excursions... that would be entirely different. Not a ding on anyone or their purchase choices--just my particular view.
LOL, my boat has storage meant for a 20 qt cooler. Finally picked one up before Christmas for $20. Can't wait to use it too.

But the Dometic 12v built in cooler...Almost bit the bullet on that. So close...

1611341893952.png

Last edited:
Oh boy...Check this out! Price ALERT!!! Thinking hard, what will the wife say? Permission or forgiveness???

View attachment 140598
I wouldn't have to worry about boating next season, I'd be 6' under if I bought that without consulting the DW.

I just did this math the other night. Talked myself out of a $800 used commercial ice machine for the garage.

Oh boy...Check this out! Price ALERT!!! Thinking hard, what will the wife say? Permission or forgiveness???

View attachment 140598

Now that is what should be in the 275 series instead of a cooler storage cabinet. At 9.8” high there is probably room in that cabinet to stack 2 of them. I might take some measurement when my boat gets back from the canvas shop

I just did this math the other night. Talked myself out of a $800 used commercial ice machine for the garage.

We (me, really) originally laughed at my BIL's small $100 ice maker that you can pick up anywhere these days. I now own 3 (upstairs, downstairs, and lake house). I'd have had a hard time turning down that commercial machine.

Sounds like your cocktail level is running dangerously low, perhaps change that to a better level and run your numbers again.

Now that is what should be in the 275 series instead of a cooler storage cabinet. At 9.8” high there is probably room in that cabinet to stack 2 of them. I might take some measurement when my boat gets back from the canvas shop

That was one of my first comments to myself when I saw that cooler storage area on the 275. For the price of two of those you could get a dual compartment fridge/freezer portable Dometic CFX3 that would most likely fit in that area and be used elsewhere. But I do like seeing others' custom installations as they cut into new FRP and install what should have been standard equipment from the beginning, if not an option. Keep us posted.

EDIT: The 75DZ measured outside dimensions. 35"L x 19.5"w x 18.5"h. The covers are reversible if needed.

Last edited:
Jealous.

I've been champing at the bit to get one for a while (I make the purchases, once something has shipped, I start dropping hints that it could be useful, it softens the blow when she picks up "my" packages at the post office).

I might need to plan a 3 day boat camping trip to justify the purchase and find a creative reason why a cooler and ice block won't do...

Last edited:
@zipper nice surprise! I would be interested in hearing how the power draw is on this unit.
As for who would buy boat accessories- we always discuss what’s being added and in general purchases over a few hundred dollars generally get some discussion- more of a “heads up” than a permission thing and after 35 years of marriage and still counting it works for us. My wife has bought a few things for the boat but I generally do most of the boat upgrades- With all the add-on addicts on this forum My wife views my spending as relatively mild so thanks to all you who constantly add on!

I was expecting to see R600a (iso-Butane) as the refrigerant, but it's using R134a. So the compressor and metering system must be where all the efficiency is.

@zipper nice surprise! I would be interested in hearing how the power draw is on this unit.
As for who would buy boat accessories- we always discuss what’s being added and in general purchases over a few hundred dollars generally get some discussion- more of a “heads up” than a permission thing and after 35 years of marriage and still counting it works for us. My wife has bought a few things for the boat but I generally do most of the boat upgrades- With all the add-on addicts on this forum My wife views my spending as relatively mild so thanks to all you who constantly add on!

Here are the current draw numbers per Dometic.

20210123_104117.jpg

From what I've heard, you can expect about 20-28 Ah draw every 24 hrs (12V system). That's very efficient for a portable system with minimal insulation. Dometic claims they will run for 48-56 hrs on their 40Ah portable lithium battery (at refrigerator temps .... freezer temps would draw more power).

Last edited:
Willow did a quick review on YouTube of the CFX3-75DZ cooler/freezer. We will put it to a real test when the weather warms up in a few months.

Yeah... saying it keeps things cold while outside right now is not having much of a review... :)

Bring it down here in July.

I ordered a Kalamera 37-Quart 12v Portable Refrigerator from Amazon to be delivered tomorrow. It should fit perfectly under the aft starboard seat where the "Yamaha " cooler goes on the 242s. Installing it this weekend picts to come.

Last edited:
I picked up this one for my new 25' Yamaha. It's dimensionally almost the same as the el-cheapo that came with the boat, albeit a little taller. It fits nicely where the provided one goes, behind the driver's seat. (It might have been too tall if I had that galley table thing on some of the 25's though)
Initial thoughts are that it's a pretty decent unit. Have only tested it for operation though, it won't get real use for another 2 months here.

Where are you guys putting this fridge/cooler/freezer that its not a PIA to be around?

We have an ice maker that we used on the camper. Was thinking of adding an inverter and plug and using that during the summer or, just spend $2 on a bag of ice and call it a day..lol

Where are you guys putting this fridge/cooler/freezer that its not a PIA to be around?

We have an ice maker that we used on the camper. Was thinking of adding an inverter and plug and using that during the summer or, just spend $2 on a bag of ice and call it a day..lol

In the "cooler drop" under the aft starboard seat. The ice is my biggest PIA so this should be perfect for us.

Back