• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Dropped my gas cap into the lake.

Nightmare

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So a couple of weeks back, someone posted that the gas station attendant dropped their gas cap into the lake.
At the time I thought: "I'm glad mine has the chain, that would suck"
One the way up to the lake last week, I filled the boat at the on-road gas station. Everything was fine.
A couple of days later I go to fill up at the dock gas pump. It is unmanned, so I have the pump handle in one hand and I spin the cap off with the other.
Plop, the cap falls off and sinks out of sight. RIP And 0% chance the marina has the right cap.
I roll up a rag and finish the day on the lake.
The local Yamaha shop has no gas caps.
I stop by West Marine and the only caps are the small flat ones that sit flush.

BUT THEN, I find the perfect solution:
IMG_0804.jpg
The product says not to use it for fuel spills, but since it won't be in contact with the fuel, I assume it will last a long time.
I'll try to order the replacement cap and o-ring this week. But these guys are going into the emergency repair kit with the Flex Seal.
IMG_0803.jpgIMG_0802.jpgIMG_0801.jpg

Nice @Nightmare . I upgraded to a stainless gas cap with a the Yamaha symbol embossed in it once. Forgot to reinsert it after filling up on the water, the chain failed and I lost the $50 cap.

gas caps from late model (4 stroke) Waverunners are the same and can be found along with the seal on eBay.
9FC6B75B-0E3E-4E61-87D8-DC249D7340B7.png
FYI - I eventually upgraded to the new style gas cap which is attached to the boat on a hinge. It was a lot more expensive, involved more parts and took more effort to install but I don’t wonder if I still have it anymore and I think it looks better than the plastic models, not as good as the SS model I lost but I can’t find that online anymore.

I would ditch the one with a chain and replace it with the flip top style they are putting on most (all?) of the new boats:

1638286720239.png

I’ll check the screw pattern on my brothers 2022 AR190.
If the holes line up I’ll probably go that route. If not the $15-20 cap should work for now

There is very poor access to the nuts holding the bolts in that filler on my boat. Before replacing the whole thing, I would confirm your eagerness to undertake that job and confirm the fastener type and access, vs just getting the replacement cap.

I can’t speak to the new boats but the filler hose on my 2010 is thicker than the hose which connects to the flip top cap so I attached the flip top cap assembly to a thinner piece of hose before installing the other end of the thinner hose into the original filler hose and holding it altogether with hose clamps. The bolt pattern is different as well but I was able to cover the original holes with the new flip top cap assembly.

Yeah go with the newer attached cap if possible and try plan B the older PWC type with the chain if cant go with Plan A.

That Orange One-Size Fits All plug could come in handy with some people I know. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah go with the newer attached cap if possible and try plan B the older PWC type with the chain if cant go with Plan A.

That Orange One-Size Fits All plug could come in handy with some people I know. Thanks for sharing.
I plan to buy a set of the cones, one for my boat (to plug unexpected leaks not to close off the gas tank) and one for my Waverunners, because I never know when Murphy is going to show up. Thanks for sharing @Nightmare .

So a couple of weeks back, someone posted that the gas station attendant dropped their gas cap into the lake.
At the time I thought: "I'm glad mine has the chain, that would suck"
One the way up to the lake last week, I filled the boat at the on-road gas station. Everything was fine.
A couple of days later I go to fill up at the dock gas pump. It is unmanned, so I have the pump handle in one hand and I spin the cap off with the other.
Plop, the cap falls off and sinks out of sight. RIP And 0% chance the marina has the right cap.
I roll up a rag and finish the day on the lake.
The local Yamaha shop has no gas caps.
I stop by West Marine and the only caps are the small flat ones that sit flush.

BUT THEN, I find the perfect solution:
View attachment 167713
The product says not to use it for fuel spills, but since it won't be in contact with the fuel, I assume it will last a long time.
I'll try to order the replacement cap and o-ring this week. But these guys are going into the emergency repair kit with the Flex Seal.
View attachment 167717View attachment 167716View attachment 167718
Looks like a huge butt plug.........................

Naw, this one is small. AND ribbed for her/his/their pleasure :asshat:

THIS is the big boy:
61zcNGHjnDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Back