• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

"ENGINE COMM FAILURE" ?

JTPain

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've been getting this message on the starboard gauge. However the engine runs fine, no issues at all. Except no wake mode won't work when its flashing.
I haven't touched any wiring, but checked connections under the dash at the gauge. All looks good.
It pops up every minute or so and then goes away.
The boat is garage kept and I always disconnect the battery when stored.
Maybe something simple, if not I have the 5 year warranty. I would like to wait till winter though because were finally able to use our loved Lake Texoma.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.

It flashes "ENGINE COMM FAILURE" on the starboard tachometer display.
I wish I took a picture of it.

Sounds like the plug to your guage is loose or has a bad connection. Open up the round access port on the starboard side of your engine compartment and locate the grey connectors (where you plug in #yds) and unplug, clean and reconnect both plugs (one will be marked starboard, one port)

Well…
I don't see an access port in the engine compartment. Are these the boxes the plugs are on?
IMG_3724.JPG

I also found these plugs behind the dashboard, they're not plugged into anything, just hanging there

IMG_3723.JPG

There must be someone on this forum that can help @JTPain out. My boat is too old to have this feature but I have seen this mentioned before so somebody has had this issue before.

@JTPain The two connectors you are holding are to plug in the Yamaha Diagnostic Software for diagnosing problems. You can buy the software & cable for under $100 on Ebay. That would most likely tell you what the problem is. You may still need some advice as to how to resolve the problem once you know what it is.

Seems they moved the connection for YDS! So I would check and clean, one at a time, each of the plugs on the ECUs (that you photographed above). I haven't looked at which plug is which, but the Tachs USED to have a light grey connector.

I saw the same... i will try and get a picture

Thanks for the info. I may have found the issue… sort of funny.

The starboard plug (STBD DIAGNOSTIC) was tucked up under the dash laying where the console and the hull meet.
The captains chair cup holder is the only one in the boat that has a drain hose attached to it.
Well, it wasn't attached anymore and there had been a big fruit juice spill in it recently.
So all that mess ran down and made a puddle where the plug was resting!
The mess and plug is all clean now. Cup holder drain is reattached. I ran the motor in the driveway with a garden hose and all is good so far.
Will be on the lake tomorrow, Ill keep my fingers crossed :happy:

Thanks again. Ill report the results.

Maybe the warning should have read Engine Juice Failure. Nice find.

Those plug ends should have caps teathered to the wire. Look around for them in case they are hanging on some other wire.

Im happy to report my starboard engine ran perfect with no warnings popping up.
However, the day wasn't without drama.
This goes on the "major brain fart" topic.
My port engine was overheating. I found some small string on the impeller shaft and cleaned that out but had no water coming out the "pee hole".
So I thought for sure some got in to the cooling system and clogged a line. We hung out at a beach all day then had a slow cruise home on one engine, which was fine on a beautiful evening.
Once we were in the garage I checked the intake grate. All clean. Then I follow the hose into the engine compartment to see where else I can check.
Only to find my clamp still on the hose from when I flushed the engines a couple of days ago! :banghead:

The moral to this story…..
Yamaha boats are awesome when you eliminate human error.

Back