• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Engine mishap on new 210 FSH

Fsh’r92

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So I had my first mistake today, looking to gauge thoughts on how much damage I really did to my new boat.

Situation:
Had a great day on the water today until I had to clean out the boat. Started flushing my starboard engine to get the salt out as per norm. (But I only turned the start battery on and not the house so the connects screen didn’t turn on, kicking myself for this)

About 5 minutes Into the flush I started smelling a weird burning smell and then flipped my House battery on at which time the screen threw an overheating alarm and the check engine light. I ran to the back and saw there was a kink in the hose line and immediately straightened it out. So after, I jump on the boat and shut down the engine immediately but forgot in the moment about disconnecting the freshwater clean out port first. Ran back over to the back and ripped it out of the flush port but the engine got about probably 5-10 seconds of water via the port with the engine completely off.

Fast forward 20 minutes, I turn the starboard engine on again and there’s no overheating warning or check engine light.

Looking to gain some thoughts about this?

If you engine started up then shouldn't be an issue. Check the oil to make sure there is no water in it. It would also really depend on how high the water pressure is on the hose. If you ever do something like that again, pull the spark plugs on the engine and crank the engine over without plugs in first. See if the water is coming out of the plugs. If not, then check the oil for water. If nothing in the oil, then put plugs back in and you should be good to go.

Why is your connect wired to the house battery? Should be on the starting battery and be on all the time when the engines are running. Always! No reason not to do this. You want the sensors on everytime you have the engines running.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]
I’ll check the oil tomorrow, still worth it to check the plugs?

Also not sure on the connect. It’s weird, that’s how I bought the boat. It requires me to have both start and house switch on for the connects to turn on. Neither independently will turn the screen on alone. It doesn’t make sense to me either and I’ve been scratching my head on that as well.

I’ll check the oil tomorrow, still worth it to check the plugs?

Also not sure on the connect. It’s weird, that’s how I bought the boat. It requires me to have both start and house switch on for the connects to turn on. Neither independently will turn the screen on alone. It doesn’t make sense to me either and I’ve been scratching my head on that as well.
[/QUOTE]

Not if you had it running, no reason to check plugs. If the cylinders filled with water, it would start, you would of bent rods and need a full rebuild or a new engine. Pulling the plugs and checking before you crank the engine would prevent the damage. Just check the oil. You will probably be fine.

I would check on the wiring and change the wires so the connext is always one when you start the engines. I believe that your model of fish only came with one battery??? And the dealer or whomever sold you the boat added the house battery and changed where the wiring goes.

I doubt any damage done. But like @HangOutdoors said get the connext to come on with the start battery

When flushing, after you turn on water, wait for pee hole to drip... after 10 seconds still no water, turn water off then turn boat off.

Okay, sounds like you learned some lessons, everyone gets a turn, try not to beat yourself up too badly. I get it, it’s your baby but in the end it is just a “thing” and you are human. I know how you feel, I had an overheat thing happen to me on the water when my boat was new, but unlike yours, on mine the alarm stayed locked in, the engine went into limp mode then came out of it, and there was a message to take it to a dealer, thought I was going to have to make the 6 hour trip to the dealer. I tried turning the batteries off and on a few times (not five which would have cleared the alarm / message) and the message was still there…so I went back to the dock. When I started the engine at the dock to put it on the trailer the message / alarms were gone and everything has been okay since.

Get one of those ball valves that screw onto the end of the hose and then attach your flushing adapter to it, makes turning the water off and on very easy right at the boat, no running back to the hose bib or kinking the hose to shut off the water flow.

Captain Obvious here;
Always turn both batteries on.
Always watch for water flow out of the pilot water outlet and jet pump when you start the engines on the hose, should take no more than 10-20 seconds depending on the water pressure/ volume of your hose.

As @HangOutdoors and @Neutron said, there’s probably nothing wrong with the engine, 5-10 seconds of water isn’t very much and as @HangOutdoors said if there had been sufficient water in a cylinder the damage would be apparent. If there is no water in the oil you are good to go. Take the boat out and run it.

Also, get a service manual, there is lots of great info in that book including some good wiring diagrams so you’ll be able to see where your connext screen gets its feed from.

@FSH 210 Sport Yeah, striking this up to a new learning experience that I’ll never do again lol.

I’ll definitely be taking @HangOutdoors advice and rewiring the screen to just the start battery. Seems stupid why the dealership maybe wired the house to preform with the connect screen in this way. Heck, if it did destroy an engine maybe I could have just blamed that in a warranty claim.

@FSH 210 Sport Yeah, striking this up to a new learning experience that I’ll never do again lol.

I’ll definitely be taking @HangOutdoors advice and rewiring the screen to just the start battery. Seems stupid why the dealership maybe wired the house to preform with the connect screen in this way. Heck, if it did destroy an engine maybe I could have just blamed that in a warranty claim.

Im not sure how mine is wired, could be the same as yours,without looking at a single line diagram it’s hard to say whether or not you have a choice in how it’s wired, for that matter what difference does it really make? You should have both batteries on anyway.

The ECU’s operate independently…. There was a guy on here a while ago with a FSH, he overheated his engines repeatedly in a very short time frame due to weed / grass clogging the pumps. So much so Yamaha denied his warranty claims for two wrecked engines. Everything that happens alarm wise is stored in the ECU’s.

I would think these engines are designed robust enough that they would tolerate a mild overheat, the owners manual directs you to rev the engines to half throttle and back to idle for 15 seconds when out of the water to remove excess water from the water locks, every time you use it. What you smelled was something in the exhaust tract getting hotter than it ever had due to no cooling water. Again, hopefully nothing bad happened and this event will be in your rear view mirror.

Im not sure how mine is wired, could be the same as yours,without looking at a single line diagram it’s hard to say whether or not you have a choice in how it’s wired, for that matter what difference does it really make? You should have both batteries on anyway.

The ECU’s operate independently…. There was a guy on here a while ago with a FSH, he overheated his engines repeatedly in a very short time frame due to weed / grass clogging the pumps. So much so Yamaha denied his warranty claims for two wrecked engines. Everything that happens alarm wise is stored in the ECU’s.

I would think these engines are designed robust enough that they would tolerate a mild overheat, the owners manual directs you to rev the engines to half throttle and back to idle for 15 seconds when out of the water to remove excess water from the water locks, every time you use it. What you smelled was something in the exhaust tract getting hotter than it ever had due to no cooling water. Again, hopefully nothing bad happened and this event will be in your rear view mirror.

There shouldn't be any reason why you could run your engines without the Connext on. Even inadvertently.

My 2021 FSH 210 Connext also runs off the house battery.

If you engine started up then shouldn't be an issue. Check the oil to make sure there is no water in it. It would also really depend on how high the water pressure is on the hose. If you ever do something like that again, pull the spark plugs on the engine and crank the engine over without plugs in first. See if the water is coming out of the plugs. If not, then check the oil for water. If nothing in the oil, then put plugs back in and you should be good to go.

Why is your connect wired to the house battery? Should be on the starting battery and be on all the time when the engines are running. Always! No reason not to do this. You want the sensors on everytime you have the engines running.
On my 2022 my Connext is also wired to the house battery.

I don't understand that. Doesn't make sense. What happens if your switch or second d battery has issues?

I suppose the thinking is to move more load off of the start battery?

The OEM BEP switch has the emergency paralleling switch so all accessories could be powered through that.

I don't understand that. Doesn't make sense. What happens if your switch or second d battery has issues?
Yeah I guess that's what emergency parallel is for, my blower is also on the house battery. I did not realize this until I ran the house battery dead at the sand bar. Not sure the start battery powers anything except the starter...

If it was my boat I would rewire it. Make sure the blower, Connext and bilge are on the primary battery. Can't think of a reason why they wouldn't be, but would be interested to know if there is a solid reason. Why give someone the opportunity to run their engines with the Connect off and no sensor data?

Back