• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Ever get attached to silly things?

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yesterday I forgot my "boating hat" in the truck, so I just wore my most favorite hat of all that I happened to have on. Yep, about 3 minutes into the ride across the bay my son said something and when I turned to talk to him it blew off, I immediately thought of the guy that got his hat flying off on video, I turned around but never found it:(

Of course my wife doesn't understand why I was so attached to that hat, it was about 11 years old (maybe older) so it fit perfect, I have photos of both boys with it on when they were babies...She says "just get another one", I say it's not that easy, it's like losing a dog, another one isn't going to replace the emptyness in your life for a long time.

When I was about 22 or so I lost my hat to a brush hog, I still have the sound of it getting chopped up in my nightmares.

I sure have gotten attached to silly things......can't remember her name now though.....

Sucks about the hat....I had a light grey C9 running hat I set PR's in the 1/2 marathon and a triathlon.....left it at the silly thing's house and never saw it again......

Lost but not forgotten...sorry that Davey wanted it more.

That was me with the hat. And yup, I totally understand. The hat I had come off was one that I got for $5 after going skydiving last fall. It was my 4th tandem jump and nothing too special about the jump other than I went with my little sister who had just graduated high school. But it is a cool hat and it fits great. Good fitting original hats are hard to come by. My wife thinks I get too attached to all of my hats, but each one has fun memories attached. I was fortunate to watch my hat go in the water and I stayed focused on exactly where it went the whole time I was driving. If it had been a normal crowded day on the river where I had to watch for other boats, it would have been gone for sure. Would it have been the end of the world if I didn't get it back? No, hell it wouldn't even have put a damper on the great day. But am I glad I got it back? Absolutely! And it made for a funny video.

Too bad you didn't find your hat :(

This thing is 20 years old. It was there for some fun adventures in my late teens and 20s and was retrieved more than once from a nice lady looking for a shacker trophy. It got chewed on by my weimaraners while they were alive and has been fished out of the garbage can countless times over the years. Wife hates it so I keep it pretty well hidden these days.

WP_20140505_001.jpg

Pretty much attached to anything frayed and filthy. you are right... no one ever understands the attachment ... baby blankets come to mind LOL

Bummer about the hat. A nice fitting hat is hard to find.

Hats especially. I have "lost" several favorite hats to my wife's delight.

Funny thing is they all find there way home to a box up on the shelf in my closet. Came across one the other day from Whidbey Island Race Week when we won the Yachting Cup. That's a keeper!

Bummer. But all of my hats have floated so I've been able to fetch them out of the water if they blow off.

I won't buy a ball cap these days unless it has a Velcro closure. I find I can make them fit tighter so they will stay on in the wind. Those with a belt buckle are too hard to adjust. Those with holes on one strap and plastic pins on the other don't allow me fine enough adjustment. My hats will stretch during a few hours of wearing them so I find I have to adjust them every so often during the day. I never wore a helmet on my jet ski, but always a hat.

Bummer. But all of my hats have floated so I've been able to fetch them out of the water if they blow off.

I won't buy a ball cap these days unless it has a Velcro closure. I find I can make them fit tighter so they will stay on in the wind. Those with a belt buckle are too hard to adjust. Those with holes on one strap and plastic pins on the other don't allow me fine enough adjustment. My hats will stretch during a few hours of wearing them so I find I have to adjust them every so often during the day. I never wore a helmet on my jet ski, but always a hat.
Yeah my head gets a lot bigger after driving the boat for a while too.....:cool:

This one was a flex fit, bill was perfect and fit was perfect all the time. I was looking through my Facebook photos most important events I had it on! Son's birthdays, son's first fish, all kinds of memorable stuff, even went on a Qatar fishing trip with me!
Only fish I caught...dang catfish! I didn't say it was my Lucky hat!
image.jpg
Doha, Qatar in the background.image.jpg
One of our First camping trips with our camper.
image.jpg

Ahhh. I had to look up the FlexFit hads. I see they have elastic all around. In that case I wouldn't be able to tighten the hat up so it would stay on my head in a strong gust of wind.

Ahhh. I had to look up the FlexFit hads. I see they have elastic all around. In that case I wouldn't be able to tighten the hat up so it would stay on my head in a strong gust of wind.
Yeah, very comfy but not gust resistant!

Yup. My "thing" is my coffee cup. It's a plastic 32 oz insulated cup with a handle and lid. It used to be red but in 20+ years since I got it, it has turned pink-ish. No matter. Most of the lettering and design has faded but it used to say "Michigan Technological University Memorial Union Building" and had a line-art picture of the outside of the Memorial Union Building (called "The Mub" for short).

It was a cup purchased at the Mub cafeteria sometime around 1992 while I was working on my engineering degree. It gave you a discount on your pop refills. I - like many - had a big clip to hold it on the strap of my bag. A lot of coffee and soda was consumed in that thing as I fought my way through "Differential Equations" and "Fission, Fusion, and Quantum Mechanics" to name a few of the more "fun" classes.

It spent several years after college confined to the back of a cupboard, but for some reason I began using it as a coffee cup one day about 17 years ago and - until I gave up coffee in 2011 - I used it every day. I'd fill it to the brim in the morning and that was my jump-start for the day.

You can see where my hand has actually worn down the outside surface of the cup slightly. (I always hold it the same way.)

One of the maintenance guys gave me some grief one day about my "pink cup" but I just stood there staring at him (sipping my coffee as I did so) until he turned and walked away. I always considered that quite a feat since 1) Our maintenance guys are not easily intimidated, and 2) I'm about as intimidating as a bowl of kittens and yarn.

The outside of it cracked at one point and my wife - who had been pestering me to get rid of the old thing - tossed it out. I promptly retrieved it from the trash and (after several thorough washings and a good douching with boiling water) put it back where it belonged - next to the coffee pot. I continued using it for several more years.

Since I gave up the "bean" it is once again in the back of the cupboard waiting for me to become re-addicted.

Chris knows better than to try to throw it out.

Mine was a pair of Sebago Dock Siders. Had them through most of my teens into my 20's. Took my now ex-wife canoeing back home in Fl. She wouldn't wear her life jacket even though she could barely swim. Canoe tips we both go in. I lost my shoes and sunglasses while retrieving her. After all these years I still miss those shoes. Actually had the shoes longer than I had her. And would much rather have the shoes back.

I have a ceramic cup that has JOHN on the side. The handle broke off years ago. There are chips around the edge so I have to turn it a particular way so I don't cut my lip on it. Although I only use it at the sink in the morning to rinse after brushing my teeth the cup has a brown stain at the bottom. The inside is a web of spider cracks. But I'll keep it until I break it sufficiently that I can't use it any longer. My mother gave me that cup 40 years ago. She passed away 25 years ago. It is the only object, outside of photos and a few documents, that I have relative to her. It's my daily reminder of her, even though I don't need one. She was a saint. Everybody loved her.

Back