• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

For those with tinted windshield

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The guy that did mine said it took a lot of heat and patience especially on the passenger side curve since it was hard to get to the bottom edge, but he did a great job. I left the boat there inside his shop for 3 days, he worked on it on and off during that time.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
For you do-it-yourselfers out there.
.... Is there a trick or secret or any challenge to not haveing bubbles form?
Working the radius and close quarters from the angled glass an issue?

I have yet to see a hack job on any boat...but the cars all around town are aweful more times than not..

I got a quote of $250 from a local (trusted) shop....a $30 gamble to try it myself is certainly worthwhile.

Tinting cars and boats are pretty much the same. Just the windows on the boat are more curved than any car you would find. You usually use the outside of the glass to lay the tint on and trim the edges. I found that a little more difficult with the boat.

But once you cut the tint, you use soapy water (nothing with ammonia in it) and spray the windows. Lay the tint down and adjust as needed. The soapy water allows you to slide the tint around, until you get it in the right position. Once you have it in the right spot. you use a squeegee to squeegee all the water and air bubbles out. Depending on the window, I usually start in the middle and work my way out. Now heat can help with this, and also direct sunlight. You should not have any bubbles left once it's been in the sun for a couple days.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
After this article, I ended up tinting my windows with the static cling tint film that was posted earlier from Wal-Mart. With the static cling, there is no adhesive to dry. So, I would worry about moisture with the static cling type tint film.

Hey @farrelltravis do you have any pics of yours too?

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I do a lot of night boating on Lewisville. I don't think I could tint my windows. Would make it tough to sit and drive. You would always be standing.
A few years back a boat drove up and over a illuminated pontoon boat on our lake (at night). 1 dead 3 injured. Fish and game contributed it to the tinted windows..... Personally ...i use the bolster and look over the windshield in all situations. Rain.shine.night. I still plan to tint mine.....just throwing out a data point.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
trick for us night boaters that use the Bolster, keep a pair of clear safety glasses in your glove box, comes in handy on bugs and speed.

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
View attachment 5753 I would do all of them or non. I don't regret having mine done at all, I love it. I had mine done with 3M 5%.

The black frame makes a huge difference too.
Just got mine done in my 15' AR192. I just LOVE this model 212X, just looks freeakin SICK!
I will be getting mine darker. Closer to 2%boat tint.JPG

Helipilot11

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I want mine tinted! Everyone in the Nashville area is afraid of it. I guess it is a good thing I am going to be near @Wayloncle tint guy in about a month!!!!

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm stopping by the shop tomorrow to schedule!!!!

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
35% because I have the silver frame.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I want mine tinted! Everyone in the Nashville area is afraid of it. I guess it is a good thing I am going to be near @Wayloncle tint guy in about a month!!!!
Let me know when you come down.

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
@Williamsone46 Looks good! I expect nothing but perfection from you, anyways.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I will be down middle of May. Once we get settled in the house we will be down in PCB and Destin every weekend. Super excited
@Helipilot11 you gotta bring your boat to Crab Island in Destin, especially during high tide. Nothing like it. Let me know if you need any information about it. Also, Panama City has Shell Island where @Wayloncle is. Pretty cool too from what I hear.

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I got mine tinted as soon as I bought the boat, Not a big fan of it and wish I didn't. May get it removed for this summer. IMO it makes the water not as clear when it comes to seeing debris, people etc.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
20% is what I got. A good middle ground between looks, privacy, and visibility.