• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

For those with tinted windshield

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Wayloncle That looks really good. $120 is a heck of a deal!

@ToddW850 Those new pics look good too! Thanks for the update on how things are holding up. I am considering doing this. I used to own a sign and banner shop and the tint applies just like a vinyl sign does, so I am thinking my previous experience on making signs would help out with this project.
If tint applies just like the vinyl, then you would probably have no problem with it.

Also, with the size of the rolls of tint and the way the window curves, I had to lay the tint kinda diagnolly before I cut it. That way it covered the whole window. It was different than doing car windows. Good luck.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Are you all having the installers take out the windows to tint then putting back in? seems like this would give the best results and does not look to hard. I'm thinking about doing it myself, a few screws and the glass looks like it should come right out.

Also, knowing nothing about tinting - is the static type the best to use? or...?

Thoughts?
The reason I went with the static cling rolls was because the tint is a little thicker than the adhesive ones and I knew that would help me with the curve of the window. Plus, if I had any issues with the tint, it would be no issue to just reapply. But so far so good.

HidnNOS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought my boat from Ronnie who used 5% all around and left the center un tinted. Ive seen no benefit however I will have it redone. I will use 30% all around including the center. That work is in the future, a non issue for the time being

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
@Mike looks awesome.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Guys, I have a question on the tint install. It rains here in S.Florida every day, and my boat sleeps outside. Should I wait to install the tints in the fall or winter when its less likely to rain? I just dont want the tints to bubble, or come off because of the moisture.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The place I took mine has a big bay in his building so I backed it inside, had to take the top section of my tower off, I pulled it out about 30 minutes after he finished. He said it wouldn't be a problem if it was in the rain, I left the cover off so the sun could "cure" the tint, of course it rained that night it hasn't affected mine at all.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Guys, I have a question on the tint install. It rains here in S.Florida every day, and my boat sleeps outside. Should I wait to install the tints in the fall or winter when its less likely to rain? I just dont want the tints to bubble, or come off because of the moisture.
Like @Wayloncle said, it shouldn't be a problem. Only needs a day or two in the sun to dry real good (between the tint and the glass). Should be fine if it rains and I doubt it would affect anything. However, if it did rain right after you tinted and it started to come off for some reason, you just need to use a small squeegy to lay it back down on the window and squeegy the water out from under it. Post pics if you get them tinted.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
After this article, I ended up tinting my windows with the static cling tint film that was posted earlier from Wal-Mart. With the static cling, there is no adhesive to dry. So, I would worry about moisture with the static cling type tint film.

Vedner19

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
I'm considering tinting mine now but was wondering if anyone whose tinted theirs wished they hadn't? Also what percentage is most of you going with? I like the way the tinted windshield looks but I'm worried that I'll always be standing up to see. Can you still see enough to sit and drive?

JDSCHMOO

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No regrets at all. Looks great and really helps reduce glare on my Garmin, however, I never sat & drove looking thru the windshield anyway, before or after the tint. I went as dark as I could.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I went with medium, 30% I believe, it's plenty dark enough and I can still sit and see through it. I didn't want to go too dark because my wife is always sitting with our 2 year old looking through the windshield, if the window is folded open its hard to see through that part.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I tinted my first yjb with 5% from pepboys. Did all the windows initially for under $50 (including twice as much tint as a I needed, the first batch was the learning batch and a tinting kit, basically a spray bottle and small squeegee). It took me all day/8 hours. After a few years of enduring complaining from the crew/person riding in the passenger seat/wife I removed the tint from the center window and actually ended up leaning over to see through it when seated and driving often. It may have looked a little odd from the outside (but not when the center window was open) but removing the center window tint proved useful too me.

Given my experience with the first yjb I took the current one to a nearby shop to have it tinted. I paid around $400 which several shops quoted me. Used 20% or 35% (and as reflective as I could get) on all the windows, can't remember which and have no regrets other than allowing the shop to remove the windows to tint them. If it weren't for the curve in two of the five windows I could have gone with mirrored/silver tint but the curves would have caused it too look creased or crinkled. Since than the center window frame which was not realign properly on reinstallation has dug a small groove into the fiber glass. When I left that place the owner told me he would never tint another boat. It took him the better part of a day as well.

One other benefit of the tint is it helps to prevent people from seeing what the occupants are looking at. That is, you can people watch with more privacy.

image.jpg
beached 2.JPG

Last edited:

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I went with 5% and it's dark. That's what I wanted. I bought the cling on stuff and did it myself for around $30. I used the cling on stuff because it's thick and I knew it would handle the curve of the windows better. I can tell a huge difference of the temperature on the dash and inside. We can lay our phones on the dash and they don't get hot at all now.

I can see out fine during the day. As far as at night, I always stand up while driving at night. Definitely difficult to see out the windows at night.

Pic from Crab Island this past summer (2014).

Yamaha Jet boat Tint.jpg

Here is a pic of my son driving. Don't have many pics from the inside. But in this pic, you can see through the windshield and see the bow up front.

20140614_115452 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Vedner19

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Awesome! Thank you guys so much. This definitely helps me a lot. So did everyone taking it to a shop pay in the $400 range? Seems like a lot to me when it's no bigger than a full size car. I'm guessing it's because of the curves?

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Awesome! Thank you guys so much. This definitely helps me a lot. So did everyone taking it to a shop pay in the $400 range? Seems like a lot to me when it's no bigger than a full size car. I'm guessing it's because of the curves?
I paid $120 to have a tint shop do it, I've always heard and expected about $350-$400 though. This guy is really good and just has a small shop that he works alone in. Came with lifetime warranty and all.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
For you do-it-yourselfers out there.
.... Is there a trick or secret or any challenge to not haveing bubbles form?
Working the radius and close quarters from the angled glass an issue?

I have yet to see a hack job on any boat...but the cars all around town are aweful more times than not..

I got a quote of $250 from a local (trusted) shop....a $30 gamble to try it myself is certainly worthwhile.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I do a lot of night boating on Lewisville. I don't think I could tint my windows. Would make it tough to sit and drive. You would always be standing.