• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Forgot to remove drain plugs - how serious?

Osric

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just took delivery of our new 2017 242X E-series on Friday. Spent the weekend enjoying the boat and trying to get used to some low speed maneuvers and so on.

Most days, I ended the day by lifting the boat and removing the cleanout plugs. Today, I forgot to remove them and so they are still in -- most likely with a bit of water on top of each -- and the manual clearly states that if you don't want them to stick you should remove them every time.

So my question is: how serious is it if I leave the boat like that for 4 days? It's a 6h round-trip drive to fix the issue, but I will happily do it if leaving it will make the drain plugs a PITA to remove. Bearing in mind that at this point the plugs have already been left in with water sitting on top for > 36h, so even if I go ASAP it will have been about 2 days (vs 4 if I just wait until the weekend).

Thanks!
Osric

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
They are new, so you'll be perfectly fine. I wouldn't make a habit of it as they get older.

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The new plugs still swell? Seems like they would have fixed that.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I wet slip my boat each summer. Last year (old boat) I left the blow out plugs in the entire year. They got some gunk on them but they were perfectly fine, even at the end of the year.

Now I have a new 242-x, I might start removing them after each outing.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You should have no problem at all, just be sure to rinse them well next time you take them out. The new plugs are SUPPOSED to be less prone to sticking in place....but that is not yet proven.

Jay Petzold

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I leave my clean out plugs in, I'm in a wet slip, just take them out occasionally and grease them

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They stick after weeks or months of constant exposure.

It will be perfect.

Avoid it in the future, but do not make the trip. (Unless you need an excuse to go and use the boat mid week, if that's the case, you should go and check it out, you never know :) )

Osric

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for all the responses everyone, very reassuring.

Osric

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Youll be fine for a week or two...I've done that in the past with no ill effects.

bumpy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have left mine in wet slipped for months, checking 2-3 time a season and greasing. No problems yet!

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just took delivery of our new 2017 242X E-series on Friday. Spent the weekend enjoying the boat and trying to get used to some low speed maneuvers and so on.

Most days, I ended the day by lifting the boat and removing the cleanout plugs. Today, I forgot to remove them and so they are still in -- most likely with a bit of water on top of each -- and the manual clearly states that if you don't want them to stick you should remove them every time.

So my question is: how serious is it if I leave the boat like that for 4 days? It's a 6h round-trip drive to fix the issue, but I will happily do it if leaving it will make the drain plugs a PITA to remove. Bearing in mind that at this point the plugs have already been left in with water sitting on top for > 36h, so even if I go ASAP it will have been about 2 days (vs 4 if I just wait until the weekend).

Thanks!
Osric
you have to drive 3 hours to get to your boat each time you use it? WOW!

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I have left mine in wet slipped for months, checking 2-3 time a season and greasing. No problems yet!
Just curious... what do you guys grease yours with and where do you grease them?
I've just been spraying my with a silicone spray during winter storage and right at the beginning of the season. Ironically I left mine in as well last time I was out (2 weeks ago). Normally I pull them out and leave on the boat while I'm gone but got rushed and forgot. Yes, its wet slipped.

I'm not worried about them just more curious about the greasing..

Thanks

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would agree, what is the recommended maintenance? Also, are we talking blow out plugs or hull drain plugs? I'd love to hear recommended maintenance on both.

Osric

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
you have to drive 3 hours to get to your boat each time you use it? WOW!
I'm in Ontario - this would be considered pretty standard here, 2-3h to drive up north to your lake, and more on the long weekends. On the upside, it's just a few seconds of holding the remote control to lower the boat into the lake and I'll typically be up there for at least a few days at a time.

I would agree, what is the recommended maintenance? Also, are we talking blow out plugs or hull drain plugs? I'd love to hear recommended maintenance on both.
I'm talking the clean out plugs under the swim deck seats. As far as I know, the drain plugs do not require any maintenance or lubricant. It's a brand new boat to me and I'm not even removing the drain plugs at the moment (though perhaps I should be).

Osric

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I 'grease' mine with silicone lube that they sell at the pool store for lubing gaskets. Just takes a bit 1-2x per season. Never a problem with getting mine in or out (I remove them usually, but have lapsed a couple times for a week or two with no issue whatsoever).

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I forgot to take mine out when I winterized this year :facepalm: I put the boat in the water and realized they were still in with some rain water on top. Probably a good 8 months. They came out and went back in just fine. Don't worry.

eticket

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have been religious about removing mine after every use...but now I am dry racking my boat and I can't count on the staff to do it for me (and they need to be in for them to get the boat to the forklift). Knowing they will be in for maybe weeks at a time I want them to be in as good of shape as possible. I just used a brillo pad and cleaned out the fitting and plugs and they are smooth like a baby's a$$. I used some silicon spray lube on the mechanisms...how about the rubber seal? I anyone lubing that? If so, with what? I would think that would that lube on the rubber would attract debris and gunk and make things worse, but wanted to check in with the brains here to see what the consensus is.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Osric Don't listen to everyone else...... I think you totaled your boat and you should just go ahead and sell it to me for half cost. :D:D:D:D:D;);););)

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Someone on here suggested this... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KCCT17O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lubegard 75200 Zer0 Pool and Spa Lubricant - 8 oz.

• Keeps O-Rings hydrated and in original form without the over-extension and flexing left by traditional lubricants
  • Releases seized backwash valves
  • Ensures a more reliable and secure seal on pumps and motors, pool and spa lights
  • Dramatically improves performance on all moving parts without attracting dirt and debris
  • Can reach applications where traditional lubricants cannot
Been using it for the past year, putting it on a couple of times a year and before storage last year - not exactly a "long term" test but we'll see...

eticket

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length