• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Found Black Strips of rubber/plastic in bilge - Know what they are?

prorider17

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was looking in the bilge of my '11 AR240 and seeing how all the water drained to the backside of the boat.. I then found an area that is on the front side of the bilge that looked like it was holding a little bit of water. I reached down and pulled these out... Anyone know what they are?

They look like the rubber bumpers the are stuck to the underside of our exhaust waterboxes.

Help cushion sound where they rest on the ribs back there under your cleanout tray. Boat been louder lately?

X2

They could be from your fuel tank also. And tank that is strapped to the hull has those pads between the strap and poly tank.

Thank you for the quick replies!
@Lspeedss - I am not sure if that's them, but I just bought the boat and wouldn't know if it were louder than before.. Are they necessary? How could I replace/repair them?

If they are indeed from your boat and not scrap from the factory or the previous owner then they should be reinstalled. You'll have to do some searching in the area under the clean out tray and under the fuel tank hatch. They should be reinstalled to prevent the hull or strap from rubbing holes in the tanks.

Does your boat have ballast tanks?

My model doesn't have ballast. Where would I find the clean out tray? I just thought it all drained to the back.

I'll have to give a call to my dealer and ask them how to go about fixing the issue as to whether it's fuel tank or water box related...

The clean out tray is on the swim platform where your clean out plugs are. That tray can be removed to gain access to below where the water boxes are. I have a feeling that your pads are from the fuel tank which is under the floor in the cabin. At any rate you or the dealer will need to do some investigating.

They might be pads that go under the muffler and protect it from rubbing through the fiberglass. You should investigate and I would not throw them out. I am not sure if the newer boats use those like my 2001 does

They might be pads that go under the muffler and protect it from rubbing through the fiberglass. You should investigate and I would not throw them out. I am not sure if the newer boats use those like my 2001 does
The "muffler" is the water boxes, water locks, whatever you want to call them. They are under the clean out tray and at the end of the engine exhaust manifold section that passes into the bilge from the back of the engine compartment. And they may be the protector pads that are on the mounts that the water boxes sit in...or, they may be the pads that protect the fuel tank. My guess is if the previous owner didn't do some modification and remove the boxes to do it, that they are simply leftovers from the factory. It is quite common that leftovers are in the boat.

One thing I can tell you, is that it is unlikely that the dealer will solve this issue. They can fix things that they can identify. This is one of those many things that isn't really broken...until a hole is rubbed in something. Your best bet overall, is to allow this forum to help YOU identify your issue, and move forward. You can find online, an array of parts diagrams that will tell you where everything in your boat is, and if a pad is there, you can find it. And probably without removing the clean out tray! My recommendation is to open the inspection port in the center of the tray, put a bright trouble light into the bilge, get a good mechanics mirror on an extension wand, and look for the pads under the racks that the boxes set in. My guess is that they are where they should be...if they are indeed a spec'ed part. If they are, then open the fuel tank compartment and inspect it. You will never get a dealer to do this type of work and you will benefit from knowing your boat this intimately...and that will lead you to a better understanding, and the ability to add to the knowledge base here! Here is a diagram out of the service manual. Like many things, there is no label or part number for the pad that is visible under the water box (water lock or muffler)...but it is there. It shows only one, but I would expect to see them under both of the support nests on each box. This may be hard to see on the port box without removing the clean out tray. But I would look around with a light and mirror before I tore into it myself...may save some time.
Screen Shot 2014-06-22 at 4.04.33 PM.png

Nice summary @txav8r. That is exactly what I was referring to and I know in my case when I took apart my bilge to learn what was under that cleanout tray, I found one of these in the compartment. I learned a lot by opening up that dark box we call the clean out tray and I think it is worthwhile for anyone given that the bilge pump is there, you can test for water leaks (i.e. speedo cables, depthfinders) and caulk, etc.

@prorider17 has a number of different pads so they might want to open up the tank area and the bilge area. I checked out my tank area as well and found that my fuel tank vent was not venting as well as it could.

Ripping these boats apart really helps see what is under the covers. I also think that for the most part, you always care more about doing a great job on your house or boat versus some 3rd party.

@4x15mph the bilge pumps are only under the clean out hatch on the old 2 cycle models, but that doesn't mean that looking around under there isn't a good idea!

Just remember that if you unscrew and remove the whole tray that you have to strip off all of the existing silicone and reseal it. You are probably going to have to mix up a little epoxy and put a couple of drops in some of the screw holes because there will be stripped screws. I try to do everything through the access panel because a little bit of pain is so much better than a lot.

The "muffler" is the water boxes, water locks, whatever you want to call them. They are under the clean out tray and at the end of the engine exhaust manifold section that passes into the bilge from the back of the engine compartment. And they may be the protector pads that are on the mounts that the water boxes sit in...or, they may be the pads that protect the fuel tank. My guess is if the previous owner didn't do some modification and remove the boxes to do it, that they are simply leftovers from the factory. It is quite common that leftovers are in the boat.

One thing I can tell you, is that it is unlikely that the dealer will solve this issue. They can fix things that they can identify. This is one of those many things that isn't really broken...until a hole is rubbed in something. Your best bet overall, is to allow this forum to help YOU identify your issue, and move forward. You can find online, an array of parts diagrams that will tell you where everything in your boat is, and if a pad is there, you can find it. And probably without removing the clean out tray! My recommendation is to open the inspection port in the center of the tray, put a bright trouble light into the bilge, get a good mechanics mirror on an extension wand, and look for the pads under the racks that the boxes set in. My guess is that they are where they should be...if they are indeed a spec'ed part. If they are, then open the fuel tank compartment and inspect it. You will never get a dealer to do this type of work and you will benefit from knowing your boat this intimately...and that will lead you to a better understanding, and the ability to add to the knowledge base here! Here is a diagram out of the service manual. Like many things, there is no label or part number for the pad that is visible under the water box (water lock or muffler)...but it is there. It shows only one, but I would expect to see them under both of the support nests on each box. This may be hard to see on the port box without removing the clean out tray. But I would look around with a light and mirror before I tore into it myself...may save some time.
View attachment 7485

These are the kind of replies that make this forum invaluable and you are absolutely correct that the dealer would not provide a fraction of the insight that you could get from this forum.

@txav8r & @SCSTWG - You guys are completely correct - This forum rocks. With that said, I took the boat out yesterday and everything appeared to run fine and dandy... I am going to wash it down tomorrow afternoon and further investigate the strips. A glance down shows adhesive remnants on the front side of the bilge where they could have possibly been. I'll make a video and post photos, just because. I'll have more on Wednesday.

@davel501 - I don't believe I have to do that? It just pops off and on no problem. Maybe it's the newer models that have this feature?

Thank you all again for your help!

@prorider17 , my clean out tray is screwed down as @davel501 mentions. It is also siliconed in. It is a PIA to remove and clean up, as you have to cut the bead of silicon and then clean all that off to reinstall. I bought weatherstripping to replace the tray with and forego the silicone, but didn't remove the tray a 4th time to do the mod before selling the boat. On the new boat, I will install the gasket instead of silicone when I take that tray off the first time. I think your seeing the inspection port that just comes open easily. You may be able to do the work through there, or you may have to remove the tray...the port side water box is a good distance from the center of the tray. I would inspect without removing the tray. It is doable, and if it is the pads under the box supports, just loosen the straps, raise, and replace. Here is the big issue...you can't get to the back side of the port box. So your going to have to be VERY CAREFUL to keep from letting the rubber straps drop off the hook on the backside of the port box...if they do, you will be removing the tray to get back there for just that small reason.

I've had my clean-out tray up half a dozen times. I never bothered to silicone it back in. Yeah, a little water leaks in around there if you take a wave over the stern, but it's nothing I'm concerned about.

I like the weatherstripping idea. I think I remember it being mentioned before. I might do that.

Back