• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Future self-restitution

No Fun Like More Fun

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
NA
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
This is partially a sob story, I suppose, so most of you would rather skip that part (jump to the second paragraph if that's the case). My wife and I have been talking about buying a boat for a couple years now. She grew up riding on her dad's, and I just like the feeling of freedom. We know NOTHING about them. A custom vehicles shop I'm familiar with had an old 1986 Four Winns Liberator with a 454 for the right price on consignment. It looked good and I (had) trusted the shop. We didn't know enough about boats, so we asked the shop to give us the walk-through to show us it's solid. What he showed me jived with much of what I had breifly read online about pre-owned boat inspections. He also had receipts from a complete rebuild by a highly reputable local engine shop. I bought it and took it out the next day along with the previous owner who offered to show me the ropes. Twenty minutes in it over-heats, the horn goes off, I look down, there's zero oil pressure, I shut down, and we get a tow back. Now the actual boat mechanic showed me that the motor needs a rebuild, the floor is rotten, and the trailer brake system is rusted. At this point, I'm just thinking that I'd like to get it useable and sell it (likely at a loss) to avoid more nightmares. I tend to buy new because I am typically meticulous with maintenance. We made an exception since this was our first boat.

If you read all that, I'm sure you see how frustrated we are (and left with boat-style blue-balls). I started looking for what I'd ideally like and discovered the Scarab 165 HO. Instant boat chubby. So now I'm on the forum just to learn as much about jet boats as I can until we can afford the beast. Thanks in advance

Eurocat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am a recent owner of a jet boat so I am not likely to be of much help except to say it's a great choice as starting boats since they are so easy to maneuver (outside of the dock). I did own another larger boat and I know how fast repair bills pile up.

I would talk to the place that did the rebuilt that you saw on the receipt, (assuming it was recent) and see if there is any type of guarantee on the rebuild. Other than that, you can try and go after the shop if you feel they lead you on but the chances of success are low, especially with a boat that age.
Even if you get something out of the engine, there is still the rotten floor to contend with.
Might be a better option to find the charity which will give you the largest tax write-off for a boat donation and go that route. They even pick it up for free. This way you are guaranteed a little bit of money at tax time.
The other way, even if you fix motor, floor and trailer, there is no guarantee you will see that money back and this is assuming you are already writing off the purchase price.
I hope it works out with the least amount of pain possible.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Ugh, that sucks. Huge lesson for a water test BEFORE you buy.

As for the charity tax write off, it's not going to net you much. even if you get it valued at 20K, that just means you won't pay taxes on 20 K of your income. Depends on your tax rate but it could only be a couple thousand bucks of money you make back. I would talk to the engine builder that did the rebuild, if they are stand up, they should stand behind their work.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Bummer.....what did the prior owner who was riding with you say when the boat he JUST sold you blew up? I'm sorry, but I wouldn't let the guy walk away from this situation and would ask for my money back or contact an attorney (find a friend who is one). If nothing else, the threat of an attorney often helps people do the right thing.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would talk to an attorney also, then go buy a new 2015 yamaha AR240

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@No Fun Like More Fun That's awful. So sorry to hear about all the troubles you're having with your recent boat purchase. That must've been one very "AKWARD" tow back to the dock. I'd be tempted to offer the previous owner two choices at that point. 1. Have a nice swim back to shore , 2. I'll pay for the tow back to the dock as soon as he agrees to cut a check for the purchase price.

Anyway, all kidding aside, welcome aboard, hopefully you'll resolve the situation soon and be in a nice new ride before you know it.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ouch, sorry to hear about that. It's an expensive lesson. Results: Always get a professional survey, especially with old boats. Or, skip old boats altogether. I had a wooden floor boat before my Yamaha, and it made me realize that I wanted fiberglass inside and out... I don't want to worry about floor rot. And, always get a sea trial BEFORE you pay for it. I concur with previous posts as to getting rid of the boat as cheaply as possible, with full disclosure of course.

Don't let this bad experience sour you on boats. And you don't need to go new, either. I'm only familiar with the Yamaha line, but using them as an example, they use R1 motorcycle engines that are meant to go well past 13k rpms, and our boats max out at 10.5k... so they're not even being pushed hard. I bought my boat from a fellow enthusiast for a great price 4 years or so ago, and haven't had any real problems, just maintenance. Besides oil/spark plug changes, I had to change the power lead from the battery to the port starter. My boat is a 2004, and 99.9% of my time with her is enjoying her on the water with the family.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oh and I hate seeing this happen to ANYONE. I am so sick of seeing people post about thinking about getting a boat, only to see scores of people post the same old, tired cliches such as "Break Out Another Thousand," "Hole in the water you throw money into," "Happiest two days in a boat owner's life," "If it flies, ****s or floats it's cheaper to rent..." it goes on and on. You got screwed because of a prior owner's lack of care and maintenance. My first boat was a 1994 Marada. It wasn't perfect, but it wasn't abused... I had it for two years and after I cleaned it up, I only replaced the starter on it.

Boats are pretty darn simple items. A motor, an electrical system you can actually work on if needed (usually), and a drive of some sort. Other than that it's about hull integrity. Was the boat covered in the lot? There was a boat for sale locally last year, a Sea Ray I believe. Without looking at it up close, only passing it on the road for a few weeks, I probably would have recommended it as a boat that someone should seriously consider, if not buy. It was very clean, and it sat uncovered while for sale in their front yard... until about an hour before dusk (so it wouldn't get dew), whenever it was overcast or we were expecting rain, etc. That showed me that the owner took care of the boat and cared about it getting rained in or damp... so it's a good bet that they took care of other things too. Be very picky when choosing your next one.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@MOA_Chaser is spot on with his advice. I bought my Yami new, but I've had a few used sailboats over the years and I've learned a few things:

1) First and foremost, learn about the type of boat you are buying and talk to other owners. There's nothing like being "orphaned" by a company that fold up shop and you're left hanging because it was a rare boat in the first place. (A problem you WON'T have if you hang around here and buy a jet.)
2) Do NOT buy a project boat. I'm busy enough as it is. As much as I enjoy working on my boat, I want to make UPGRADES to it, not try to fix it up to make it usable. Other than that, I want to spend my time on the water. Buy a boat you could drive from the seller's house (or business) and drop it in the lake and feel safe using it.
3) Look at the other things the seller has. If the rest of his life is ship-shape and well cared for, then the boat probably has been too.
4) Indoor / Covered storage is always best if you can find a seller that's been doing it. The Sun is a boat-killer. It damages EVERYTHING from the boat to the cover to the tires on the trailer. In 2003 I bought a 13-year old sailboat that had PERFECT gel-coat because it was stored indoors all of its life.
5) Is the boat clean, good looking, and obviously well cared for cosmetically? If so, the engine(s) and other mechanical systems likely is(are) as well. People rarely baby the gel-coat and abuse the engines. It happens, but it's not common.
6) Insist on an on-the-water test. This is a "Do as I say, not as I do" kind of thing because I've NEVER had an on-the-water test, but it's still best practice. (You're not the only person I know who's had an engine blow on the first day with a used boat.)

Others will have more suggestions, these are just the basics.

Since you're a new boater, be sure to take a boater-safety class. You don't want to be "that guy" out there who is doing foolish things and putting other people (and themselves) in danger.

Welcome to Jetboaters and welcome to a very fun outdoor activity. Done right, the only major expense you should have for a long time (other than the purchase of the boat itself) should be Gas and a little bit of maintenance (and we can help you do it yourself and save tons of $$).

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Sure sorry to see a new boating family get off to this kind of start. Old boats are a labor of love. The trouble is, you were buying a boat where the seller stated that the motor was totally rebuilt. To me, it isn't the previous owners fault, it is the shop that did the rebuild, and they have to make it right. The other stuff, well, you may or may not have caught it on a marine survey, but you would have if the surveyor did his job and represented you correctly. I am not sure on how I feel about hiring an attorney and trying to get out of it. You may be stuck with it even if you win, but with the added loss of expense for the attorney. I think if I did hire one, it would be with the expectation of them making the engine right, not the other deficiencies. I am not rubbing salt here, but it really is buyer beware, a seller states "as is", and it is up to you to find out. I am not an attorney, and I don't like the idea of being caught in a legal battle, but sometimes you have no choice. The great thing is that you haven't lost your desire to get a boat. I can't speak to the Scarabs, but the Yamahas are pretty much trouble free if you take the time to learn about the nuances and differences, and try to do most of your own maintenance. Then you know the boat and know that it is cared for correctly. And the great thing about them is that you CAN do most of the maintenance easily, and you have this forum to help you learn the boat, and help you learn to not only operate it, but how to care for it. We are looking forward to hearing more about your search, and hopefully to a better outcome with the current situation...and welcome to the forum!

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome to the site. I truly hope your next boat is your last boat.....and if you choose wisely it could be.

Maybe we need to start a thread entitled, " STOP, Before you buy a boat, READ THIS".
We could offer some basic inspection tips to help prevent this type of scenario in the future.

I don't want to cram Yamaha down anyone's throat, just provide info to generally help any boat shopper. I've had the pleasure of steering a few friends towards good boats - prop, sail, you name it. And there is nothing worse than to have a friend show up on the water with a "Surprise" only to watch him flounder around trying to get an unseaworthy vessel to operate correctly. Maybe I just get tired of towing them back to the dock? :oops:

Eurocat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Glassman maybe be right.
Maybe the best help that can be provided for new boaters is the basics of what to look for before buying a boat in a pinned thread.
Since there is ppl here with experience in multiple types of boats it could become a decent tool for anyone looking.

No Fun Like More Fun

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
NA
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I appreciate all the "shit, that sucks" comments and words of advise for the future. Two attorneys said it would be way more expensive than the boat is worth to go after him, much less win, so I'm just moving on with the lesson learned.

I've been told that jet boats can be troublesome, so it's nice to see a lot of enthusiasm for them. And to hear that if I take care them, they'll take care of me. That Scarab 165 HO is gonna be perfect for my wife and I. It's first impression (looks) started the drooling immediately. It also has the performance to keep me amused. She love the seats on the back for relaxing and the fact that there is enough room for our two dogs. The price also right. I just want to learn everything I can about properly handling and maintaining it so I can do it right, when we're able to put our name on one.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Modern jet boats are far from troublesome... Mine is probably more bulletproof than any other boat on my local river. Heck, I save about $300 in winterization costs alone each year... I don't need to worry about replacing rubber bellows, or the lower unit freezing and cracking before I can get antifreeze in it. I'm sure you'll enjoy the Scarab!