• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Gas Prices vs Boat Prices

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Isnt it funny that just 2 short years ago we were energy independent!
Are you implying that the US was not importing oil 2 years ago or that the US was domestically producing as much oil as we consumed two years ago?

I am not aware of any data to support either argument. If you do have data to support your claim please post it.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Are you implying that the US was not importing oil 2 years ago or that the US was domestically producing as much oil as we consumed two years ago?

I am not aware of any data to support either argument. If you do have data to support your claim please post it.
Apologies, as I don't mean to jump into the conversation, but we have been lowering our dependency on import oil since 2005. Here's a chart from EIA.

1646856816814.png

From the same link, "Historically, the United States has been a net importer of petroleum. During 2020, COVID-19 mitigation efforts caused a drop in oil demand within the United States and internationally. International petroleum prices decreased in response to less consumption, which diminished incentives for key petroleum-exporting countries to increase production. This shift allowed the United States to export more petroleum in 2020 than it had in the past."

Jim

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
We still are exporting. We were not independent in any recent time frame.

That’s interesting … I’ll investigate further. Looks like the exports remained the same, but demand and where that came from have changed, just need to see that info. I do know that a lot of domestic oil production dropped off during the corona virus thing, as well as refineries shutting down as they just could not throttle back that far when demand was so low.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That’s interesting … I’ll investigate further. Looks like the exports remained the same, but demand and where that came from have changed, just need to see that info. I do know that a lot of domestic oil production dropped off during the corona virus thing, as well as refineries shutting down as they just could not throttle back that far when demand was so low.
This has data on domestic production. We domestically consume over 18M barrels a day which is beyond production.

Production declined when crude prices fell in 2020 and has increased as crude prices have increased. Much of the Middle East production costs less than $10 a barrel while much domestic production is over $50 a barrel.

There is a real issue that production companies are enjoying the high prices and not jumping to produce more. They can produce the same profits while selling less of their supply if they keep the supply tight. That is exactly what OPEC is doing.

There is no actual shortage. Just a sellers market.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Personally, I think it'll only affect the guy at the bottom of the totem pole. The guys buying a brand new 25' or bigger, no effect on them. The guy with a used Exciter, probably gonna hurt him a bit more.

That said, assuming you burn 20 gallons in a weekend, that's $40 bucks. That's the difference between packing lunches and stopping at subway on the way to the boat. I think people who really want to boat will find a way to make it no change.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
This has data on domestic production. We domestically consume over 18M barrels a day which is beyond production.

Production declined when crude prices fell in 2020 and has increased as crude prices have increased. Much of the Middle East production costs less than $10 a barrel while much domestic production is over $50 a barrel.

There is a real issue that production companies are enjoying the high prices and not jumping to produce more. They can produce the same profits while selling less of their supply if they keep the supply tight. That is exactly what OPEC is doing.

There is no actual shortage. Just a sellers market.
Thanks for the leg work on that! I was just going through that web site trying to look that info up. I had found this table which I think shows domestic production for 2019 was 6.5M bbls, and that number now is around 500,000 bbls. I dont know if I am reading that correctly or not though.

Totally agree that there are no shortages, to take a line from a movie, we are standing on a sea of oil.

I had thought the $ per bbl for domestic production cut off was $55, and I think the tar sands production is $75.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Its was $3.78 in Otlando fl on Friday' saturday motning it was 3.98 i always go at best cruise 30mph and the only lake is 25 min. It will hurt once we atart going to the beach but small price for happyness.
That place by the outlets off i4 is probably $10 a gallon now lol

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
In CA we have a major catalytic converter stealing cartel. Now they will be going after our fuel as well. Time to bear arms.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I left the Orlando airport yesterday, and saw a station at $4.25. As for whether we were energy dependent a few years ago, it depends on your definition of independence. If we got rid of more than we took in? I suppose you could argue this is independence, but I believe it is simply semantics. And this is not just oil, but natural gas. U.S. natural gas exports 2020 | Statista The USA was a net total energy exporter in 2019 and 2020, meaning that we produced more energy than we consumed. In 2019, we produced more oil and more natural gas than either Russia or Saudi Arabia. Oil imports and exports - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) This oil and natural gas renaissance came about with the introduction of hydraulic fracturing, which the Obama administration tried several times to discredit, only to be unable to find any signs of water pollution from its use. Even under the Obama EPA, the science showed there was nothing to fear from properly conducted hydraulic fracturing. Thus, the Obama administration continued to lease federal lands for oil development. I'd argue we were more towards energy independence two years ago, certainly with gas at 1.79 in October, 2020.

The previous administration moved forward with these plans to lease land for oil development in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR)—the 1.6-million-acre coastal plain on Alaska’s North Slope—that was authorized in a 2017 budget bill and on federal lands in Kern County, California. Lawsuits failed and then the current administration in the first day of office put a stop to this with an executive order. This was unfortunate, as there is an estimated 7.7 billion barrels of oil available in this region, to be extracted over the 40 or so years. This would mean, yes, gas for less than 2 bucks a gallon. Of course, now there are new lawsuits pending, by the Alaska state agency that bought oil leases in the ANWR region, claiming the current administration enacted illegal measures to impede drilling in this area. Clearly, the current administration preaches green energy out of one side of its mouth, but one year after his executive order halting new oil and gas leases, Biden has outpaced Trump in issuing drilling permits on public lands. Of course, these are all tied up in lawsuits. After setting a record for the largest offshore lease sale last year in the Gulf of Mexico, the Interior Department plans to auction off oil and gas drilling rights on more than 200,000 acres across Western states by the end of March, followed by 1 million acres in the Cook Inlet, off the coast of Alaska. So maybe the current administration really wants the oil. Who knows what the current President is thinking? Certainly after observing him, one can't tell. The bottom line is in 2 years the current administration will be out of office and we will be back to square one with the drilling commencing, and a new slew of lawsuits to try and stop it. It is unfortunate the initial executive order was imposed, as a study out of the University of Wyoming estimated that about 300,000 jobs were lost because of the order. All, IMO, because of this green energy being pushed by the current administration out of one side of his mouth. What a conundrum.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I left the Orlando airport yesterday, and saw a station at $4.25. As for whether we were energy dependent a few years ago, it depends on your definition of independence. If we got rid of more than we took in? I suppose you could argue this is independence, but I believe it is simply semantics. And this is not just oil, but natural gas. U.S. natural gas exports 2020 | Statista The USA was a net total energy exporter in 2019 and 2020, meaning that we produced more energy than we consumed. In 2019, we produced more oil and more natural gas than either Russia or Saudi Arabia. Oil imports and exports - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) This oil and natural gas renaissance came about with the introduction of hydraulic fracturing, which the Obama administration tried several times to discredit, only to be unable to find any signs of water pollution from its use. Even under the Obama EPA, the science showed there was nothing to fear from properly conducted hydraulic fracturing. Thus, the Obama administration continued to lease federal lands for oil development. I'd argue we were more towards energy independence two years ago, certainly with gas at 1.79 in October, 2020.

The previous administration moved forward with these plans to lease land for oil development in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR)—the 1.6-million-acre coastal plain on Alaska’s North Slope—that was authorized in a 2017 budget bill and on federal lands in Kern County, California. Lawsuits failed and then the current administration in the first day of office put a stop to this with an executive order. This was unfortunate, as there is an estimated 7.7 billion barrels of oil available in this region, to be extracted over the 40 or so years. This would mean, yes, gas for less than 2 bucks a gallon. Of course, now there are new lawsuits pending, by the Alaska state agency that bought oil leases in the ANWR region, claiming the current administration enacted illegal measures to impede drilling in this area. Clearly, the current administration preaches green energy out of one side of its mouth, but one year after his executive order halting new oil and gas leases, Biden has outpaced Trump in issuing drilling permits on public lands. Of course, these are all tied up in lawsuits. After setting a record for the largest offshore lease sale last year in the Gulf of Mexico, the Interior Department plans to auction off oil and gas drilling rights on more than 200,000 acres across Western states by the end of March, followed by 1 million acres in the Cook Inlet, off the coast of Alaska. So maybe the current administration really wants the oil. Who knows what the current President is thinking? Certainly after observing him, one can't tell. The bottom line is in 2 years the current administration will be out of office and we will be back to square one with the drilling commencing, and a new slew of lawsuits to try and stop it. It is unfortunate the initial executive order was imposed, as a study out of the University of Wyoming estimated that about 300,000 jobs were lost because of the order. All, IMO, because of this green energy being pushed by the current administration out of one side of his mouth. What a conundrum.
Thats a very nice way to put it! Well done!

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
In CA we have a major catalytic converter stealing cartel. Now they will be going after our fuel as well. Time to bear arms.
To that point I ordered a locking gas cap for my 2004 Yukon. We have already had the gas theft (albeit rare) in our neighborhood in the past, expecting an uptick of that everywhere.

Skierdad

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I imagine that gas theft will become an issue in some places. This is when I am glad to live where I live. We shouldn't see too much of an issue with this. I am not saying it doesn't happen but it won't be at the level of the larger cities.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
To that point I ordered a locking gas cap for my 2004 Yukon. We have already had the gas theft (albeit rare) in our neighborhood in the past, expecting an uptick of that everywhere.
The locking gas cap for my 2022 Ram is backordered until May. Obviously made in China

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It goes against conventional wisdom, but I think I would forego the locking gas cap. I'm reading stories of thieves resorting to just drilling a hole in the bottom of the gas tank and taking the gas that way. On top of which it could cost up to $1000 to replace a gas tank. I'd rather them just steal the gas. I would think fake security cameras, or real security cameras combined with high illumination of your driveway would go further.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The locking gas cap for my 2022 Ram is backordered until May. Obviously made in China
Do you have a gas cap on your 2022 Ram? I have a 2020 1500, that does not have a gas cap.

Jim

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
It goes against conventional wisdom, but I think I would forego the locking gas cap. I'm reading stories of thieves resorting to just drilling a hole in the bottom of the gas tank and taking the gas that way. On top of which it could cost up to $1000 to replace a gas tank. I'd rather them just steal the gas. I would think fake security cameras, or real security cameras combined with high illumination of your driveway would go further.
That's a great point. I used to leave my Leer camper shell open so they wouldn't break the glass.