• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

GM I hate you!...yet I am also appreciative!

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ok, so we have a 2010 Yukon Denali with a 6.2L V8 that we have used to tow the boat for the past couple seasons. We havent owned it long but have had a couple small issues with it. We went about 2 hours away with the boat and fifth wheel and she performed nicely...BUT when we got home the next day the motor broke! Lots of clicking from lifters. We took it in and sure enough needs new lifters and a crank. 6500 dollars worth of work. My powertrain warranty ran out a week before this happened. Luckily GM has agreed to pay all but 1600 dollars. Whew! Its a good thing because 6500 dollars would have hurt bad! I have almost always been a ford guy and actually drive a F350 Superduty as my vehicle but we bought the Denali because it was a good boat puller and nice road trip vehicle. Not anymore! Goodbye GM! I am going to get it fixed and drive right next door and trade it in...will likely lose my @ss on because we have only had it about a year.

Moral of the story if you have the 6.2L be VERY careful because they have a history of having problems with the lifters. Putting the load from the boat probably didn't help too much. Too bad I didn't know that before I bought it!

I can't tell you how much I hate GM! Ever notice that all GM products almost always have 1 running headlight out? Their buttons chip on the radio. Just not good products. I bought a used Hummer H3 (GM product) with 52k miles on it. 2 months later the trans went out on it. Brother had a 2011 Tahoe, dashboard started to split on it. Never had any luck with them and will never touch another one!!

I'll take it!!!! j/k BTW Those LS based motors are bad mothers but need some aftermarket corrections. I know the pushrods were weak in some years also, maybe early on...5.7 wise

@CDENsomnia, how many miles are on it? My 2007 Sierra Denali (6.2 & 6L80) has 140K on it. I had to replace the transmission due to a clutch housing issue that they fixed sometime in 2010. But the engine seems solid. I tow the boat perhaps 2,000 miles a year and have towed 13,000 pound loads three times.

I've got 147K miles on 2008 suburban and no problems, so one anecdote about how bad a product is can always be covered up by a good.

If you were a week out of warranty I would have pushed to pay nothing. I had a Tahoe that needed the intake manifold replaced and it was 2K miles out of warranty. I took it to GM district manager and then regional and paid nothing. I sold it at 156K miles and the folks we sold it to drove it over 200K before they sold it.

Ok, so we have a 2010 Yukon Denali with a 6.2L V8 that we have used to tow the boat for the past couple seasons. We havent owned it long but have had a couple small issues with it. We went about 2 hours away with the boat and fifth wheel and she performed nicely...

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but you've got me puzzled. How does one manage to pull a boat AND fifth wheel with a Denali. Boat? sure Fifth Wheel? um, that I'd have to see.

so far my 2011 Denali is still running strong. My wife even drove it over a fire hydrant once.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but you've got me puzzled. How does one manage to pull a boat AND fifth wheel with a Denali. Boat? sure Fifth Wheel? um, that I'd have to see.
Well, that's the problem right there! :0 These GM SUV's just don't do well with fifth wheels.

90968.jpg

But seriously, it hurts to take a bath on a relatively new purchase, but you are probably doing the right thing. The new Expeditions are supposed to have Ecoboost in them. I'd try one of them.

Isn't a fifth wheel a bed mounted hitch....is there a Denali Pickup truck?

Isn't a fifth wheel a bed mounted hitch....is there a Denali Pickup truck?

I believe they were towing the fifth wheel with a larger pickup so they towed the boat with the Yukon Denali SUV.

The Sierra Denali is a pickup truck. It comes in 1500, 2500 and I believe 3500 sizes. I have a 1500. Up to last year the 1500 was all wheel drive and always had a 6.2. Now it is just a trim level. It is available in 2 or 4 wheel drive with a variety of engines.

I believe they were towing the fifth wheel with a larger pickup so they towed the boat with the Yukon Denali SUV.....
I kinda sorta thought so too. I do know a guy who routinely tows a small trailer behind a fifth wheel here in CA. But I think it's now legal to tow two trailers as long as you are under 65'.

I think in addition to what @Glassman said, the first trailer has to be attached to the tow vehicle by a fifth wheel to make towing two trailers legal.

In Missouri 2 trailer towing is legal as long as the vehicle is rated to pull the load, the center trailer has brakes, and you are under the 65'.

Has anyone had an issue with the auto level on the Tahoe's? I have not started my research on what happened and how to fix, but either I have a bad sensor or a bad compressor. Something is keeping the air ride from engaging.

The new Expeditions are supposed to have Ecoboost in them. I'd try one of them.

Yes it has the Ecoboost engine. I have had a new Expedition for about a month now. Pulls awesome, but only done a short tow to the lake so far. Just took a long Memorial Day roadtrip and got 20 mpg for the weekend. Not bad !!! Rides like a dream and a good quiet ride too.

Expedition.jpg

In Florida it is called Triple Towing and it is illegal.

Has anyone had an issue with the auto level on the Tahoe's? I have not started my research on what happened and how to fix, but either I have a bad sensor or a bad compressor. Something is keeping the air ride from engaging.
I don't have it in my Tahoe but seems like checking fuse on the air compressor is first test. Hopefully the air compressor isn't shot.

Yes it has the Ecoboost engine. I have had a new Expedition for about a month now. Pulls awesome, but only done a short tow to the lake so far. Just took a long Memorial Day roadtrip and got 20 mpg for the weekend. Not bad !!! Rides like a dream and a good quiet ride too.

View attachment 22595

You may have opened a can o' worms .....that is one good looking Expedition. My wife will be needing a new ride soon. Our oldest daughter has an older model with the 7.3 and now that they've figured out the oil pressure sender problem that was haunting them, it's been a great vehicle for them. :cool:

@Glassman
There is no such thing as a 7.3 Expedition.....Maybe you have an Excursion??
or just a touch of....whats it called?? lol

@Glassman
There is no such thing as a 7.3 Expedition.....Maybe you have an Excursion??
or just a touch of....whats it called?? lol
haha! You're right...I have CRS and they have an Excursion....dang, I was wondering why that Expedition looked smaller.

For what it's worth, I just poured a second cup of coffee...gimmie an hour, I'll be fine....:confused:

Back