• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Guide Post Damage

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well last weekend while I was picking up the boat at the launch, an asshat jet skier came whipping through the no wake launch area. I already had the trailer in next to the dock. Boat was being pulled up onto the trailer about half way. The nephews where doing it and just fine. The waves shifted the boat and one of the kids got nervous and appears to have wrapped the dock line around the dock and guide post. once the boat was pulled up he removed the rope from the cleat, so it cant hang in the water and get around an axle, which is my process. But apparently it was around the post still. Post got bent pretty bad and will need to be replaced. No damage to trailer or boat. Had to bend it back so I could trailer home. Don't think there is any way to straighten it out.

20220831_193656.jpg20220831_193702.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your misfortune… can you just buy a single replacement?

Maybe. It happens. Would rather the guide post go than damage to the boat or trailer. If not maybe I will try a different brand. Happy with what I had, but could change.

Maybe. It happens. Would rather the guide post go than damage to the boat or trailer. If not maybe I will try a different brand. Happy with what I had, but could change.

And no injuries!

Glad the boat is good. Maybe a come a long would work to straighten it.

I think its a gonner man, maybe a torch and hammer? It would break trying to bend it back cold. Time for an upgrade Honey!

I can't recall if you had aluminum, but if so, I don't think bending it back returns it to serviceable condition, just makes it pretty again

Is that a VeVe or C.E Smith?
Not VeVe's.
That's what I was about to say...my wife blasted mine once, and one of the bolts snapped on the bracket and the guide was floating in the water. Picked it back up and bought another bolt and put the bracket back on, still rocking to this day and perfectly straight ?

I've torched worse things and there's not much to lose by trying. Looks like galv steel. Mapp Gas, Big Vice, Ball Peen Hammer, Small Sledge and find something that can be inserted into the stubby end for added leverage. Don't forget to go slow and be patient. Good Luck.

I would try heating the bitch up cherry red, and then SLOWLY bending it back. It’s worth a try. What do you have you to lose? If it breaks - oh well.

I’m not sure a Veve would have fared any better with where that thing bent.
I can’t picture how that got bent forward like that from a rope while coming out of the water.

I can’t picture how that got bent forward like that from a rope while coming out of the water.

I have had both. VeVe's are made from a thicker walled tubing 14ga. vs ce smith 16ga. The guide poles are tough. The bracket would be the weak point.
VeVe's on the MFI for the Yamaha.

20220901_063718.jpg
Screenshot_20220901-063327_Photos.jpg

Older CE Smiths ? on the Venture for the Whaler

F2F72F31-2442-433C-B7AA-BF6311F4EA20.jpeg

I may replace them with VeVe’’s due to the non rolling pvc covers. They get really marked up by the rub rail.

5BD4E155-D51D-4395-B3CD-94AF87385B2E.jpeg

I turned the pvc around 180° for the picture.

Last edited:
We bent them back and had to overbend them cause the bracket was loose. To get home

They are ce smith. Never had any issues with them. If i cant get one piece for replacement i may tryout he veve's

@HangOutdoors , good luck trying to straighten that. If it doesn’t work out consider upgrading to a set of “economy” guided from Fulton. The name is misleading since they cost $127 a set on Amazon. I’ve had mine for over 10 years (when they were about half the current cost), have bent them close to 90 degrees back and forth several times and still don’t have any cracks in the pvc. Note the only metal is the mounting hardware, the guides themselves are single pieces of pvc.
90C06BFE-5438-4979-B471-51F1AF51DB54.png

I bought the same guide poles as you @HangOutdoors and they're ok but not quite sturdy enough. I've had to reinforce the brackets that hold the U-bolts & put gussets on mine due to the bending if I had to lean on them, which I do occasionally when loading if we're on the Mississippi. If I had to do it over again I'd probably just end up building my own.
1662034197069.png

I had to replace one of mine a few years back…

Here is the part number. Found it etrailer.com. I think the single bracket shipped was just over half of what I paid for the set originally.

DA23781D-D4ED-4ACF-85D8-31F00C7BEF61.jpeg

@HangOutdoors , good luck trying to straighten that. If it doesn’t work out consider upgrading to a set of “economy” guided from Fulton. The name is misleading since they cost $127 a set on Amazon. I’ve had mine for over 10 years (when they were about half the current cost), have bent them close to 90 degrees back and forth several times and still don’t have any cracks in the pvc. Note the only metal is the mounting hardware, the guides themselves are single pieces of pvc.

PVC is super easy to shape with a heat gun, I wonder if you made a form for it, if you could shape a few and test it out. I'm guessing that's 1 1/4", and possibly throw in a piece of 3/4" for added beef, shape 'em both at the same time.

@Ronnie, were the brackets just holding them in place, or were there bolts run through the PVC anywhere?

Back