• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Has anybody gotten an MMSI number?

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
so after installing my GPS and VHF with DSC capabilities, I realized I need to get a MMSI number. Is the free one from boatus good enough to use in the Bahamas? Or do I need to register with the FCC and get a world wide one??

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
According to the BoatUS FAQ:

A: BoatUS MMSI numbers are coded for recreational vessels cruising in U.S. waters only not otherwise required to be licensed; the registrations are downloaded into the U.S. Coast Guard Search & Rescue Database (MISLE) only. FCC-assigned MMSI numbers are coded for International Waters and go into the International Search & Rescue Database (ITU). In order to be accepted into the ITU database, any FCC assigned MMSI must end in zero. This is why the BoatUS MMSI number cannot be re-used when later applying for an FCC License for international cruising.​

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So in order to use it in the Bahamas I need a FCC issued one...

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Not necessarily....

Since the Bahamas are so close to the US, and are heavily patrolled by the US Coastguard, I think you'd probably be just fine. You wouldn't be in the International Search and Rescue DB....but I doubt that makes a lot of difference in the bahamas.

@PedalPirate might be able to fill us in with more exacting details as, if I recall correctly, he is in the Coastguard....

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm probably going to just get an intl number, in case I get a wild hair and decide to take it further into the Caribbean one summer.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am using a BoatUS MMSI. If I make a DSC in the Bahamas they will not have info on the type of boat but they will receive my location and need for help. If I was planning to make a round the world trip I would want a FCC MMSI, a bigger boat, a bigger radio and an EPIRB.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the BoatUS one (see sig). Of course, on my freshwater craft, I don't have to worry about Bahama trips.

Yet.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the BoatUS one (see sig). Of course, on my freshwater craft, I don't have to worry about Bahama trips.

Yet.
You know you want to!

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
As everyone else, my MMSI is through BoatUS. But I live landlocked and don't think my boat will ever make it to a coastal water.

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I waded my way throught the FCC website to get a Intl MMSI number and got to the end, the cost was $215, I said screw it and got a BoatUS MMSI number.. 338186073

PedalPirate

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You'll be fine with the number from Boat US. The VHF towers will pick up your information in the Bahamas. Just a word of caution: follow the instructions to test the DSC, please don't hit the button to see if it works. A lot of effort goes into validating there is no distress when someone accidently hits the button (most common when cleaning the boat) or people testing to see if it works. I can't tell you how many times we've triangulated a DSC signal 20 miles inland because someone hit the button accidently. Furthermore, make sure you register the number: If the number isn't registered, all that shows up is a Lat/Long with no description or contact info to validate (imagine searching for a DSC signal in an area with 200+ boats and no description).

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@PedalPirate, how do you register the MMSI number? I thought that happened when they registered it for me.. you got anyway to check it??

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, I believe that is what he is talking about. Registering gets you the number. You shouldn't just make one up. Then keep the registration updated with your current info.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey, @Administrative ... I have a question, please:

If we wanted to collect a directory of MMSI numbers for the members, what would be the best way to do that? Yes, we could have everyone announce it on a thread like this, but that is difficult to print out and take to the boat. Excel sheet? Or is there some board function that could put that in the profile and then we could print a report of them? Or something else?

Optimally everyone who wants to be listed could then populate whatever it is with his/her own number.

Thoughts? And thanks.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We have looked at an enhanced user search before....not implemented it yet....but if we created a custom field for this and then allowed members to search/filter for non-blank...it should produce a list of those who have a number. That said....it is probably a very low # at this point.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Julian, what do you think about adding MMSI to the user profile? Then you could look at a users profile to find their MMSI. I could periodically extract the MMSI profile entries and export them to a spreadsheet.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Reviving an old thread but BoatUS charges for MMSI if not a member. (25 dollars) You can sign up through SeaTow also. I need my registration for the new boat to come in to finalize the process though. I am a SeaTow member but I think it is free at least for members. Once I finish I will edit to confirm if it is free or not.