• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Has anyone overnighted in the boat under the Yamaha mooring cover?

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We were thinking about taking along an inflatable mattress and staying out on the water overnight sometime this summer. I thought that if I took the Yamaha cover along with us and installed it at dusk, and left the back and front open for more ventilation, it should take care of most of the dew/etc problems I'd anticipate.

Anyone ever try this, if so how did it work for you? Other options to spend the night on the boat?

We were thinking about taking along an inflatable mattress and staying out on the water overnight sometime this summer. I thought that if I took the Yamaha cover along with us and installed it at dusk, and left the back and front open for more ventilation, it should take care of most of the dew/etc problems I'd anticipate.

Anyone ever try this, if so how did it work for you? Other options to spend the night on the boat?

In my "spare time" I'm working on a tower mount for this: http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/product/DOUBLE-INSECT.html :). I'll let you know how that goes once I get the mounts made. It's just a little too long for tying up between the tower as is.

Last year we missed getting through the gate at the lake we were headed to before the gate closed for the night. So I ended up parking the rig at a walmart parking lot, my son slept in the truck. I just loosened the rear of the mooring cover, folded it over at one corner and (tried to) sleep in the opposite corner on the floor. Unless you like a stiff sleep surface (I don't) it sucks. I tried sleeping on the lounger but the break between cushions made it tough for me. I've also slept on the filler cushions in the bow, that sucked as well. The cushions don't have enough padding for me to sleep comfortably.

If I had to do it again it would either blow up a flat towable or air mattress and put it on the cockpit floor or on the filler cushions in the bow. If in the bow I'd also install (or try to install) a tent or possibly an anti-pooling pole to raise the roof/cover a little. A third option to consider which is more expensive but not the most expensive (I.e., custom camper enclosure) would be to but a bow tent designed for the 230 series boats and modify it to suit your needs.

I hope this helps, good luck with whatever you end up doing but please post on it. I would sleep on my boat more often if I could do so comfortable.

I have never slept under the cover, but I did get caught in a heavy downpour last summer and used the cover as shelter. I don't think I could sleep under there the whole night it really doesn't breathe enough, we were only under it for about 30 mins and although it was obviously very humid, it was very similar to a sauna.

We slept on the boat last year by using a mosquito net thrown over the tower, the net kept the dew off of us along with the bugs. I couldn't say it was comfortable, but the Miller Lite helped in that department. Our ice chest is flush with the tops of the seats and we used an air mattress. We keep out boat on a lift in a slip at the lake, so if it ever rains we are out of there.

I would recommend a small 12v fan to move some air, at least here in Oklahoma it can be crazy windy during the day and be absolutely still at night, which is a bad combo with 90% humidity and summer temps. (again the miller lite helps)

My experience working under the mooring cover for brief periods in the past leads me to believe:
  • It would be too hot to sleep under unless very cool outside
  • I would have concerns about fuel fume buildup unless vented at both ends...mosquito netting would be required for any such vents in our neck of the woods

For what it's worth, Yamaha made a bow tent that fits your model year

MAR-230BT-NT-07-500.jpg

Yeah, that's a little small though. Would be OK for a kid or two, MAYBE one adult if they slept curled up.

I got one when they first came out. You can't judge solely by the photo. Surprisingly spacious up there with the filler cushion in place . The kids loved it when they were smaller.

Back