• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Has anyone plotted this curve yet?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
As to your boat test charts. A 255sd and a 255 fsh use sc engines the last number 5 instead of a 2 designates that.

Edit,,,, saw the chart said 252 your test said 255 sorry
No worries ! As I said in the other thread, I wish there were charts available to make the comparison apples to apples... especially testing the boats at the place and same atmospheric conditions. Temperature and especially humidity place a huge role in power production as well as efficiency.

One thing I did not mention is that Yamaha’s snowmobiles use turbo chargers on the engines that are the basis for the TR-1 engines ... having turbos on the TR-1 engines would be sweet! But there is the space required for turbos and inter coolers and especially the heat in that engine bay...

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can say with 100% certainty that my 15 FZS svho and my wife's 18 EX deluxe will burn almost the same amount of fuel if i am just going at her pace. I always fill up every time i get out of the water and as long as i am not going off and ripping it up without her when i fill them both it is within 1/2 gallon in each.
So that is with a non ho TR1 and a svho

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
1.8L NA vs SC fuel consumption vs speed. I’m curious if there is a cruising speed where the NA and the SC are close in fuel burn.

28 mph was a good cruising speed for my AR240 as far as fuel burn, 10-12 gph. Wondering the fuel burn for the supercharged engines at ~28 mph.

Thanks!
Mark
@McMark ..... regarding boats with engine/outdrive technology more horsepower may result in less fuel consumption with a lightly loaded boat but as soon as you start adding gear, people and speed you lose the efficiency of a less powerful engine and very quickly its x/y lines cross and you start consuming increasing amounts of fuel. I did not notice any difference when on my Yamaha SVHO cruiser and a friend was on his non-supercharged as long as I wasn't pinning the throttle or running at very high RPM. On this forum I have seen owners complain that they have (I believe one example) a 195 non-supercharged vs a supercharged 195 and the N-SC was complaining about top end with a loaded boat. I would much rather have a supercharged engine for towing sports and being able to carry a load (gear/friends) than a non-supercharged ..... if I was making a long run I would just build a really nice mini platform of say Starboard with a marine mat cover to put a couple of fuel cans on. In my boating life I have always sought as much HP and acceleration as was possible for my marine vehicles and NEVER regretted doing that. BTW, isn't mentioning fuel efficiency and boats in the same sentence forbidden? :cool:

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I can say with 100% certainty that my 15 FZS svho and my wife's 18 EX deluxe will burn almost the same amount of fuel if i am just going at her pace. I always fill up every time i get out of the water and as long as i am not going off and ripping it up without her when i fill them both it is within 1/2 gallon in each.
I don't think that's a relative comparison to boats which are much heavier and have much more drag in the water. The light weight of the jetskis makes the SVHO much more efficient. I'd bet your rpm is much lower than the EX at the same cruising speeds.

For some number, the twin BRP ACE motors with 300hp gobble fuel like candy as the rpms climb - cruises at 11gph which is fine, but WOT at 46gph. Copied from the Scarab website for the 215 and reformatted to fit here:

FUEL FLOW DATA - Twin Rotax 1.6L
5000 rpm 30 mph 11 gph
7500 rpm 57 mph 39 gph
WOT 61 mph 46 gph

That's a lot of fun at 61mph though.
:D

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't think that's a relative comparison to boats which are much heavier and have much more drag in the water. The light weight of the jetskis makes the SVHO much more efficient. I'd bet your rpm is much lower than the EX at the same cruising speeds.

For some number, the twin BRP ACE motors with 300hp gobble fuel like candy as the rpms climb - cruises at 11gph which is fine, but WOT at 46gph. Copied from the Scarab website for the 215 and reformatted to fit here:

FUEL FLOW DATA - Twin Rotax 1.6L
5000 rpm 30 mph 11 gph
7500 rpm 57 mph 39 gph
WOT 61 mph 46 gph

That's a lot of fun at 61mph though.
:D
You are right the ex is always running slightly higher revs than my svho

Spg1582

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
If you're talking about the new 25' FSH, then the best we can do is extrapolate. But in virtually every scenario I have seen, the SC engines suck down way more gas than the normal engines. Just look at the fuel burn numbers for the 27' boats last year. 40.8 gph at wide open!

Just took out my 255 fsh e for the recommended engine break in. Drove boat 90 min under 5k rpm. According to connext screen got 1.5 mpg. Hopefully that improves. Not enthusiastic about premium gas. With 76 gallons, 4 persons, and most of the gear 52 mph top speed. Flat calm on the lake. This is the 2022 model.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Thats about right for mpg. Thats what my boat gets at cruise

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Just took out my 255 fsh e for the recommended engine break in. Drove boat 90 min under 5k rpm. According to connext screen got 1.5 mpg. Hopefully that improves. Not enthusiastic about premium gas. With 76 gallons, 4 persons, and most of the gear 52 mph top speed. Flat calm on the lake. This is the 2022 model.
Don't pay much attention to the mpg unless you reset it while cruising as it's an averaged speed including idle and no-wake speeds. I think you can expect to see about 2.5mpg. Our best is 3.0mpg at 27mph and 5100rpm. Reset the Trip stats while cruising and look for the highest gph while varying speed slightly...the sweet spot is probably around 5000rpm or so and the mpg will peak.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Here’s the two magazine tests done by boat test and boating magazine. There’s a pretty big difference in fuel consumption between the two at WOT but they’re relatively close at best cruise. Boating gives some test data, boat test surprisingly has none, in the real world you’re going to have more gear, fuel, and people weight not to mention temp, humid and wind. I’d expect best cruise to be right at 2 mpg.

These are the fuel consumption graphs.

Boat Test: no testing data given

3C5E1613-3363-4FBB-9575-D7AD6F2B8840.jpeg

Boating Magazine: 40% fuel 250# crew weight..no atmospheric data given.

03C39A2E-1E55-41BB-8B02-7A29023190B8.png

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
He has twin svho’s and a much heavier boat than yours. I dont think he is going to see much better than 1.5-1.6mpg. Mine is 1.6@5500 which is barely on plane and supposed to be cruise rpm. I usually run at 5900-6000 and the boat rides alot better, a few moh faster and only a .1 mpg hit bringing me to 1.5.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Actually that reply was meant for 212. The top chart seems more accurate to me. You can see he has the same thing goin on as i do. Cruise at 1.8mpg but with just a .1mpg hit he also gains 10mph. Doesnt make sense to me to run at 5000. If you truely want the best mpg i guess then yes run her at 5000 but i think the op will prob end up at the 6000 mark to gain the huge speed increase with next to no fuel hit.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Actually that reply was meant for 212. The top chart seems more accurate to me. You can see he has the same thing goin on as i do. Cruise at 1.8mpg but with just a .1mpg hit he also gains 10mph. Doesnt make sense to me to run at 5000. If you truely want the best mpg i guess then yes run her at 5000 but i think the op will prob end up at the 6000 mark to gain the huge speed increase with next to no fuel hit.
Your reply came in while I was writing mine…

Between the two tests on my boat I’ve found the boat test to be more accurate. I have more weight in my boat than in those tests and I’m at 5000’. Boat test lit’s my boat at 3.5 and boating lists my boat at 3.65. The best cruise I can get with stock impellers is right at 3.2 with three people on board, 70-80% fuel, trolling motor and batteries, gear etc… I think boat tests listed weight was 3703#, I’m realistically running around 4300#.