• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hazard near Commodore Barry Bridge

Ruthie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Today we hit an under water concrete wall near "Chester Island" near the commador barry bridge. Luckily we were not going very fast and didn't get hurt. The wall looked like big square blocks formed perfectly in line under water. Maybe an old bridge or road?We did not see it and once we hit it came to a complete stop. There are no markers at this area - it is not visible. I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about this or what it is? Who can be contacted to mark this area so no one else hits it. We took a huge chunk out of the bottom. Luckily it didn't go all the way through and we were able to make it back to shore.

Attachments

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm guessing you hit where that straight line is on the map? From the aerial sat image is does look like a structure.

Sorry to hear your boat got hurt but thankfully nobody hurt on board!

Ruthie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yes it was the line. Found out it's called a "breakwater" man made, it is unmarked on the water. We were out during high tide and it is not visible above the water. We didn't stand a chance. :-(

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Also called a wing or weir dams....often not marked on the water, which is why charts/chartplotter are recommended when boating in areas you don't know well. It is surprising they don't mark them...but probably something to do with river debris.

Last edited:

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hit one on the IL river in 2013. Here they call them wing dams. They were built to redirect the river water. Really should mark them better.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome to L-dam/wing dam (dike)
I find Navionics + fairly spot on around here to show their locations on the big rivers (Mississippi/Missouri/Illinois River confluence), those dams can be constructed like walls but most of the time are just rock piles.

Occasionally, one will pop up unannounced, courtesy of USACE, lol.

Gotta watch for those, they can kill you.

--

Lpennington

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian ... what app is that? I boat on Falls Lake and will probably expand to Hyco and Gaston. That looks like something I'd be interested in. The pics of submerged trees in Jordan Lake have me not planning to try that lake anytime soon.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Julian ... what app is that? I boat on Falls Lake and will probably expand to Hyco and Gaston. That looks like something I'd be interested in. The pics of submerged trees in Jordan Lake have me not planning to try that lake anytime soon.
Navionics

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Correct @haknslash , it is Navionics - although when you search the Playstore for it, you can find it when searching for Navionics, but the app name is "Boating USA" (by Navionics)

I've never been to Jordan, but the ends of the bays in some of Falls Lake are full of stumps too....you need to know where to go...and an app like this will help!

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
OUCH!!!!

wing dams are everywhere on the mississippi, to control silt buildup, and current. Keeping channels open for island residents, and more importantly, barge traffic.

heres a link to part of our pool. black lines are wing dams. look to bottom left-most wingdam, that covers the whole channel, with a small break in the middle.

http://www.mvr.usace.army.mil/Portals/48/docs/Nav/NavigationCharts/UMR/CHART_89.pdf

I thought I knew where they all were.... but One day a few years ago, we were exploring, had NO idea it was there. Only noticed, because water was at low enough level, the top current was upset by it, and I could see the ripples of the break in the dam, from JUST the right angle of the sun. Got a bit lucky. Iv'e been re-studying all these charts ever since. Hit one of those just right, it could ruin a-LOT more than your just day.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This has been an informative thread. I don't typically boat on waters with structures like this but I can see the reasoning for having them to control silt buildup. I agree they should be clearly marked especially when you take into consideration water levels or tides. I guess this incident further pushes me to buy a chart plotter if I plan to boat in unfamiliar waters. Really like the compact size of the Raymarine 4 Pro.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That sucks man. Here's the view on navionics+. Not sure what it takes to get a hazard buoy put out.

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sorry to hear. Hopefully, you can get it fixed fairly quickly and be back on the water. I hit a concrete block on the Neshaminy Creek, not too far from where you hit, and insurance covered it. Luckily, there was a fiberglass guy working at our marina that weekend. He had us back on the water in a couple days.

Good to know where that obstruction is. We will be passing by that area on Saturday. I typically never leave the shipping channel, once I'm below the Philly airport, and I never boat at night in that area. Glad no one was hurt.