• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hmmmm... what happened here?

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Second run of the summer. Everything working well first run a few weeks ago. I have less than 80 hours on this 2008 SX230. New plugs, fresh oil. Was headed to my trailering spot this evening, at a very nice clip. Wife driving at about 8500 rpms, thought I heard something pop and then lost high end power in the starboard engine. We stopped. It revved to about 4500 with no problem, but then any higher revs it just revved high with no power - you know - gas it full throttle, watch the RPMs jump all the way up, but no power to move. In my LS this was a sign I sucked something up. Tried the reverse clean out move to no avail. Back it down to 4500 or so, and we were good to go at 4500 rpms (and a little higher on the port just to get in quick as it was dark). I got home, no problem. As it was dark, I just slowed down and covered the mile in at 4500 rpms starboard and a bit higher on port, no problem. Figured I sucked something up or perhaps popped a clean out plug. Doubted it was a clean out plug, however. Pulled in, got home, clean out plug intact. Nothing sucked up. This is a deep, debris free river. I suppose if I did suck something up it could have dropped out on the 20 mile trip home, but when I got home it was free of debris. Any ideas?

I don't think this is it but maybe you lost some sealant, when mine came loose I could get steady low power but higher revs caused more suction and the silicone to stretch allowing the air in creating cavitation,
any other noises, vibrations at higher rpms?

I would give it a good inspection in the daylight and another water trial just to be sure something didn't get stuck and then fall out,

I don't think this is it but maybe you lost some sealant, when mine came loose I could get steady low power but higher revs caused more suction and the silicone to stretch allowing the air in creating cavitation,
any other noises, vibrations at higher rpms?

I would give it a good inspection in the daylight and another water trial just to be sure something didn't get stuck and then fall out,

I felt some silicone leaking through our starboard intake earlier this year and now that engine seems to "spin out" above 7,000 rpm if I don't REALLY ease into the throttle. How did you fix your issue?

I will look tomorrow, but this boat is basically brand new and always stored indoors. It was purchased new in 2011 and is still under warranty until 2015. I will run it on the hose tomorrow but not sure how good that is as opposed to a water test. Thanks for the silcon tip but my guess is this is still intact considering the boat has had very little use.

Silicon dries up....so use is irrelevant. Check there first.
Running on the hose will not be a good way to diagnose a pump loading issue.....but you might notice a different noise if there is something stuck in the pump.
Then I'd try on the water again. If it is still acting up I'd look at compression check next (solely based on your comment about hearing a pop---that I've not heard)

I'm betting on you sucked something up and it fell out or it's so small you won't see it without daylight, good luck and let us know,

Crap. Out in the salt water then....half a mile away as opposed to twenty miles away.....guess I will hold off cleaning the boat until tomorrow. Thanks for the ideas....I'm hoping something was sucked up and dropped out on the way home. I will report back if I get out Thursday. Thanks all!

My guess is something wedged between the propeller. Before you head out, get a flashlight (even in daylight) and look way up in there from underneath and from clean outs.

Back