• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hooking up a marine radio to my SX240

champton44256

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I need to fine the house hot and neutral in or near my engine compartment. I am hooking up a marine two way radio with remote AMP. Think Icom 440 BB. The radio has an inline fuse. I just need to know what wires to tap or splice two. I want to make this a clean install so pictures are a plus.

Thanks,

Chris Hampton

jcb1977

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
not sure of your battery switch configuration but you'll need to run positive from your house battery switch assuming you have a "house" and "start" switches. it's a common ground so negative wire will go to any ground connection (battery or bus bar depending on what you have).

can be a good time to clean up your connections if you're running out of room on the switch terminals or have a rat's nest of wires going on by consolidating devices/connections with bus bars or fuse blocks.

you'll want to add another fuse near the batteries and not just that inline fuse near the radio. the fuse that comes with the radio is more for protecting the radio than the wire run you'll be installing.

champton44256

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The radio has an inline fuse. This is still a very bone stock electrical System. I am looking for a photo for an example.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If you want a nice clean install, I would install a nice fuse box by the batteries. One with both positive and negative connections. Then connect your radio to that. Something like this:

6 Way 12V Fuse Box 12Volt Blade Fuse Block, 6 Circuit W/Negative Bus Waterproof Fuse Box with LED Indicator for 12V/24V Automotive Golf Cart Truck Car Boat Marine RV Van Vehicle Amazon.com

Then run one wire to the negative terminal on a battery, and the other wire to the back of your battery switch. You can also install a negative bus bar to clean up your battery wiring. Something like this (this is a set of two):

4 Post Power Distribution Block Bus Bar with Cover - Made in The USA - 250 Amp Rating - Marine, Automotive, and Solar Wiring - Set of 2 (5/16") https://a.co/d/06r7yJFz

With a bus bar, you can have just one wire to each battery terminal....make it nice and clean!

See links for photos of my wiring under the 242X link in my signature (if you don't see my signature, its because you are on your phone - turn it sideways and bingo...you'll see signature)

champton44256

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, I was hoping they would think that through and mount a bus bar but never the less. Do you have a picture of battery switch so that I know I am mounting to the correct one?