• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How do you use your post guide-ons?

Daren and Heather

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For those of you with post guide-ons on your trailer, do you use them ONLY for a visual aid to line yourself up correctly when loading? (In which case you installed them wider apart) Or do you use them to course correct the boat automatically as you're loading? (In which case you installed them closer together)

I'm wondering because originally I installed them thinking the former, and probably have them 5 to 6in out from the width of the boat on each side, but the last time I loaded my boat really went sideways on me on the trailer...

So I'm wondering if I have these post guide-ons sticking out too far, and should move them in closer to about 2" from the width of the boat on each side. And not be worried about bumping against the post guide on when I load it.

Attachments

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
We (by that I mean my wife, she loads the boat onto the trailer) uses them for both visual and for support in the event the wind/current are out of hand. She really only needs the support when its bad out at the time of loading. Our guide posts are a lot snugger than what yo have in the pics..maybe 2 inches either side.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have mine between 1 and 2 inches, probably like 1.5. Once I have the front 1/3rd of the boat in between it is gravy even in a high wind and the boat sits on the trailer perfect every time.

Daren and Heather

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have mine between 1 and 2 inches, probably like 1.5. Once I have the front 1/3rd of the boat in between it is gravy even in a high wind and the boat sits on the trailer perfect every time.
That's good to know, so you don't really worry about bumping them then, and just let them redirect the boat, right? How did you measure the 1.5 inches? I think our boat gets a little wider in the middle...

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am 1.5 inches from the back the whole boat fits right through. Yes I use them to guide on and bump them.

Daren and Heather

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks! I'm going to do the same thing! :)

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Yep, about two inches.

Olsonn20

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use mine to get the boat on straight, just last weekend I was loading up at a launch with a decent cross wind. If I didn't have them it would've been interesting loading up, I find that it just makes it less stressful loading also. Mine sit off the boat about 2"

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I have the curved Fulton guides with pads on mine. I set mine to touch the boat. That being said, when the trailer is in the water the boat floats up to the curved area and is no longer touching. I just got mine on and it was night and day for a first use this weekend. I had a strong side wind and serious chop and the guides saved my ass! I definately put some force on the one side but hopefully not going to be a pattern of use if mother nature will start being nice to me!

AncientCanoe

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't have them because I winch my boat on, but are you putting in your trailer too deep if the boat gets sideways inside the guides. I think your bunks should be engaged some by then.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I don't have them because I winch my boat on, but are you putting in your trailer too deep if the boat gets sideways inside the guides. I think your bunks should be engaged some by then.
Totally depends on how steep the ramp is. Some are really steep and the bunks don't engage until you are way up the trailer.

There are some that call them "rookie rods" - clearly these people are lake boaters on nicely built perfect angle ramps who've never dealt with a steep ramp and a nasty current!

I keep mine pretty close. On my usual ramp they are just used as guidance....on the ramp at Harbor Towne Marina in Ft. Lauderdale they help keep the boat centered as the ramp there is really steep.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
my daughters use them a ricochet points, she hit them so hard they bent the mounting plate,

as we review the trip on the way home I'll nicely suggest "you may consider coming in a little slower next time" :banghead:

mine are set as tight as possible at midship since the rear is slightly narrower, worth every penny,

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Love my 60" ve-ve's. I've had a big 22' tri-toon before without guides and I had to rock that boat back on center on the bunks every time we recovered. With this 21' v-hull, I'm centered within inches of perfect every landing. As stated, when recovering during current and/or wind, these are a life and marriage saver. No need to power load, just sink the trailer, center, and winch up.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree to move them in closer. You have nice covers on them so no worries about bumping. The “rookie rod” name makes me laugh; but I totally agree with the value in strong winds and current. I do without; but my pilot experience helps me maintain a strong crab angle with a final moment pivot to align. I say “helps” as In tough conditions, we are all just one second away from a bad landing, be it a plane or a boat.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just make sure your fenders are in for launching and retrieval so they don't get hung up on the guide-ons.