• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

How is the twin 3-cylinder set up?

Santa_sleigh

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
How are people liking their 210 or 220 series boats with the twin 3-cylinders? Would prefer the 1.8 or 1.9s in the 212 or 222 but not sure if they are worth the $15-20k premium.

Kids are small now so don’t need the premium acceleration yet but I don’t want to outgrow this boat due to the engine option. Would like to have a capable watersports/tow boat.

Thanks in advance!

New to the forum so if there’s a better place to post this please let me know.

Buy your second (or third) boat first, ?, that is all.

How are people liking their 210 or 220 series boats with the twin 3-cylinders? Would prefer the 1.8 or 1.9s in the 212 or 222 but not sure if they are worth the $15-20k premium.

Kids are small now so don’t need the premium acceleration yet but I don’t want to outgrow this boat due to the engine option. Would like to have a capable watersports/tow boat.

Thanks in advance!

New to the forum so if there’s a better place to post this please let me know.

Pretty sure @HangOutdoors likes his AR 210 with the twin TR-1’s ..don’t think he has any issues with acceleration and towing with his wife and teenage daughters and friends…

My boat has 2 of the 1.8 HO motors and the wave runner has one. I would do whatever you can to get them - much cheaper now than upgrading later. They make a MASSIVE difference

If you’re in the market for a new boat then you’ll get the 1.9’s in the 22’ boats above the AR, and in the larger boat sizes.

I agree with @Acard7 , get a boat you can grow into not out of! It’s an in investment in memories and good times. The 1.9 L engines and their four bladed impellers are a big improvement in power and quieter operation. and you’ll want that extra power if you have guests on board.

I have the TR-1’s in my 210 FSH and I boat at high altitude and the TR-1’s struggle with the 30% hp loss I have in summer temps at high altitude. I did an impeller re pitch which helped a lot but its still not that powerful, it works for me and I can tow folks on tubes and carry several people, but having the extra 180 hp of the 1.8’s or the 200 hp of the 1.9’s would be awesome! But! If I was at 1000’ or less the TR-1’s would be fine with the oem impellers.

That’s what I keep telling my wife! I think I have convinced her…

You will also want a boat with a dedicated head compartment for a porta potty….

When I first started looking, I was only thinking 19’ers. That was for a couple years, then I got to looking at the 21’ers cause I had a little lore money to spend (plus I was only thinking new at this time) but once I rode in my friends 24’er I ended up buying a one year old ar240 a week later. Lol. No regrets on the extra space!

When I first started looking, I was only thinking 19’ers. That was for a couple years, then I got to looking at the 21’ers cause I had a little lore money to spend (plus I was only thinking new at this time) but once I rode in my friends 24’er I ended up buying a one year old ar240 a week later. Lol. No regrets on the extra space!
That has definitely crossed my mind, since there are a lot of 24s available for really similar money to the 21s. I think 21 should be enough boat for me and the family...we had a 17.5' during Covid so I think the 21 will be enough upgrade.

If you’re in the market for a new boat then you’ll get the 1.9’s in the 22’ boats above the AR, and in the larger boat sizes.

I agree with @Acard7 , get a boat you can grow into not out of! It’s an in investment in memories and good times. The 1.9 L engines and their four bladed impellers are a big improvement in power and quieter operation. and you’ll want that extra power if you have guests on board.

I have the TR-1’s in my 210 FSH and I boat at high altitude and the TR-1’s struggle with the 30% hp loss I have in summer temps at high altitude. I did an impeller re pitch which helped a lot but its still not that powerful, it works for me and I can tow folks on tubes and carry several people, but having the extra 180 hp of the 1.8’s or the 200 hp of the 1.9’s would be awesome! But! If I was at 1000’ or less the TR-1’s would be fine with the oem impellers.
I doubt the 1.9s are in my future, don't have the budget for that. I am looking at boats with the 3-cylinders or used boats with the 4-cyl 1.8s.

I think a 5gal bucket should be able to handle that!

Is that what you think or your wife thinks LOL! Having the compartment is nice for the girls as gives them some privacy. And where are you going to put said 5 gallon bucket?

I doubt the 1.9s are in my future, don't have the budget for that. I am looking at boats with the 3-cylinders or used boats with the 4-cyl 1.8s.

@HangOutdoors must be busy, hopefully busily piloting his AR 210. One of the advantages of the three cylinder engines is that they use less fuel, so a bit less $$ to operate. My boat gets me around just fine really.

What altitude are you going to be boating at?

@HangOutdoors must be busy, hopefully busily piloting his AR 210. One of the advantages of the three cylinder engines is that they use less fuel, so a bit less $$ to operate. My boat gets me around just fine really.

What altitude are you going to be boating at?
Ok good point about the wife and the 5 gal bucket. We only really go boating when it's swimming weather so she can always go swimming with the fishies... it never became a problem on our smaller boat 17.5' SeaRay, so here's hoping. And she hasn't mentioned a bathroom yet.

I will only be boating at sea level mostly in fresh water.

@FSH 210 Sport looks like you're boating at altitude with the FSH, where at?

My boat has 2 of the 1.8 HO motors and the wave runner has one. I would do whatever you can to get them - much cheaper now than upgrading later. They make a MASSIVE difference
I think you're right. I test drove the 2010 212X with the MR-1s and the 2015 with the TR-1s. The 2010 felt like a civic and the 2015 felt more like my Tesla (acceleration wise). Loved the '15.

Ok good point about the wife and the 5 gal bucket. We only really go boating when it's swimming weather so she can always go swimming with the fishies... it never became a problem on our smaller boat 17.5' SeaRay, so here's hoping. And she hasn't mentioned a bathroom yet.

I will only be boating at sea level mostly in fresh water.

@FSH 210 Sport looks like you're boating at altitude with the FSH, where at?

I usually boat at 5000’ . Summertime density altitude can get up to 9000’ or higher, soI deal with 25-30% horsepower loss.

I can tell you the first time you have an “incident” ? you’ll be glad you have head / porta potty. Your guests will also appreciate it for regular use.

Back