• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

How not to tow your boat

jasoraso

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This happened last week in a small town at Bear Lake in Utah.

Boat got rear ended, and ended up on top of the tow vehicle. The truck that did the rear ending ended up on the trailer.

Bad start to the boating season, I feel for the boat owner.

However, at least they didn't capsize like a Wakesetter at the same lake last week. After 3 hours in the 55* water during the storm, 4 people ended up dead. :(

IMG_20150605_220846.jpg
Modified by admin to make image full

Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes!

If that boat was properly secured it would have had to rip through both rear straps, the bow strap and the emergency cable/chain (if equipped).

That is scary to think about if you are driving something other than a pick-up, huh? :confused:

You don't see that everyday. Would love to know if the boat was properly secured and if so, how fast he had to hit him to make that happen. Wow.

Looks like the bow eye is hanging down....yikes....must have been a hell of a crunch.....

But think of the money he will save not needing a trailer to haul his boat now... just use the boat sized dent in the roof of the truck..

The other guy must not have even tried to stop! It is shame about the other 4 people too!

Yeah, the real tragedy is the group that got caught in a storm that blew in super-fast. 70mph winds and waves capsized the boat. Everybody had life jackets on. 2 teenage girls decided to swim for shore (3 miles away or so), their shouts were heard after about 3 hours in the water by a S&R team on the lake. Out of the 4 that stayed at the capsized boat, 3 didn't survive the cold water/storm. Mom survived; Dad and 2 children didn't.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2584071-155/surviving-girls-recount-horror-that-claimed

Yeah, the real tragedy is the group that got caught in a storm that blew in super-fast. 70mph winds and waves capsized the boat. Everybody had life jackets on. 2 teenage girls decided to swim for shore (3 miles away or so), their shouts were heard after about 3 hours in the water by a S&R team on the lake. Out of the 4 that stayed at the capsized boat, 3 didn't survive the cold water/storm. Mom survived; Dad and 2 children didn't.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2584071-155/surviving-girls-recount-horror-that-claimed

Saw that. Very sad, indeed.

Too bad the boat in OP's photo didn't have a Keel Guard :p:D:cool:

Saw that. Very sad, indeed.

So it looks like their boat was a wake/ski boat with a low freeboard. WTF were they doing on the lake in 70 mph winds? Was this a failure to check the weather before going out? Why were they the only boat out there?

Geez I have so many questions. It just seems like a poor use of judgment.

This is a mountain lake; surrounded by tall mountains. From my own experience, I know how fast the thunderstorms can blow over the top of the mountain, and in a 5 minute period, go from blue skies to 70mph microburst winds. The lake is 20 miles long, and 5 miles wide. The mountains literally start right at the edge of the lake and go up 2,500 feet above lake level, and run parallel to the 20+ mi length of the lake, so unless you are checking a radar map on your phone (difficult with the poor cell signal on this mountain lake), you may not know a thunderstorm is coming until it is right on top of you.

That being said, I don't know what boating experience level this family had, or their familiarity with the conditions. I do know another family personally that was at the lake this day, and they got off the lake about 20 minutes before the storm broke - but I don't know if they left because they saw the storm coming; or if they were merely done for the day.

It does seem like poor judgment. But I've been caught in a storm or two on Utah Lake, racing back to the marina, in 5-8ft waves, and 50mph winds. So I'm not going to judge the dad - especially given the situation of the lake.

I would still try to launch it. Drive at the ramp doing 50+ and nail the brakes! Why lose a day on the water???:winkingthumbsup"

Back