• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How (or should I) Do I Care for my Mooring Cover?

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How is everyone washing and drying their covers? Layout on the driveway, wash and then flip and repeat? How do you hang it to dry? When I had my boat detailed I asked the company to wash my cover as well and they cleaned it with a power washer leaving marks and now dirt and water are getting in. I will be buying a new cover shortly and would like this one to last longer.

Rodder77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
1673014397946.png1673014757502.png
Apply this the begining of each season, cover is on the boat 24/7/365 outside when the boat is not being used. Yamaha cover looks like new. I also apply to the bimini which on the E series is up and exposed all season (off and shrinkk wrappped in the winter), again still looks good and more importantly repels all the water. I have also used another water repelent from WM, with similar results. I also spray all my deck furniture cushions and pillows the begining of each season with this along with the families ski jackets/pants the begining of each ski season.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Someone on here said that the inside of the cover gets sprayed, not the outside. Is that correct?
Definitely the outside - it's a water repellent spray.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Do you guys remove the cover from the boat to wash it and apply 303 or just do it while its on the boat?
Feeling lazy and it seems doing it on the boat makes sure you clean it better than laying on your driveway since it tends to not lay perfectly flat.
Do not spray on your boat, the spray could damage the gelcoat - read the label about the warnings. I lay mine out on the driveway on a warm sunny day. I rinse it, then give it a gentle soap and water wash with a soft brush to loosen any bird droppings, bug splats, etc. Let it fully dry in the sun. It must be completely dry then spray the 303 Fabric Guard over the top surface. I don't worry too much about the part that tucks under the bow and stern and sides at this point - just spread it out as flat as you can. The most important thing is to make sure it's clean and dry before you spray it. Then allow it to fully dry again in the warm sun. It needs to dry fully to cure the spray coating. Once the top is dry, then you can fold it to spray the sides, bow, stern areas and let it dry. It takes a few hours to do all this, but it's only needed once a year. Then put the cover on the boat and let it finish curing. It's best to do this when you know it will not rain for a least a day to fully cure.

To help extend the life of the cover, I put a 10x20 tarp over it during the week when it's parked to protect the top of the cover from the elements and the sun's UV rays.

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do not spray on your boat, the spray could damage the gelcoat - read the label about the warnings. I lay mine out on the driveway on a warm sunny day. I rinse it, then give it a gentle soap and water wash with a soft brush to loosen any bird droppings, bug splats, etc. Let it fully dry in the sun. It must be completely dry then spray the 303 Fabric Guard over the top surface. I don't worry too much about the part that tucks under the bow and stern and sides at this point - just spread it out as flat as you can. The most important thing is to make sure it's clean and dry before you spray it. Then allow it to fully dry again in the warm sun. It needs to dry fully to cure the spray coating. Once the top is dry, then you can fold it to spray the sides, bow, stern areas and let it dry. It takes a few hours to do all this, but it's only needed once a year. Then put the cover on the boat and let it finish curing. It's best to do this when you know it will not rain for a least a day to fully cure.

To help extend the life of the cover, I put a 10x20 tarp over it during the week when it's parked to protect the top of the cover from the elements and the sun's UV rays.
Thanks for the info, makes sense, just wanted a quick shortcut, lol.

I like the tarp over it also, mine sits out in the sun in the storage yard so it gets beat up by the sun alot. Several other members have mentioned putting the tarp on it, gonna do the same just to prolong its life some.

tbg0519

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
So I am confused. Does Yamaha recommend or not recommend spraying the bimini and/or the mooring cover with a UV spray periodically? I'd prefer to not have either wear out prematurely.

The Canuck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know if there is a recommendation or not, but I know it made a huge difference once I sprayed some water repellant and UV spray on it. Our boat is coming up on 8 years old. Knowing the cover is getting blasted by the sun and weather on a daily basis I am not sure if I had sprayed it or not, it wouldn't start breaking down. Hopefully this prolongs it a little longer so I am not forced to drop $750+ on a new cover.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
So I am confused. Does Yamaha recommend or not recommend spraying the bimini and/or the mooring cover with a UV spray periodically? I'd prefer to not have either wear out prematurely.
There was little or no documentation with the original yamaha cover or bimini top for mine. But it doesn't matter what they say as yamaha just buys the finished product from the manufacturer, so you just need to follow the manufacturer's guidelines for use and care.

Short answer, use the recommended 303 Fabric Guard spray once a year to keep the cover/bimini in good shape. No need to use it on a brand new cover or bimini as it's treated at the factory. Just use it once a year after that to keep it water repellent and looking good.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Great thread!

I‘ll treat the canvas cover that goes on the T top with the fabric guard this year once it warms up. As well, I’ll be cleaning and treating the cover I got from Empire / Budge three years ago. I’ve only used the mooring cover a few times, mainay when towing but won’t do that again until I get some additional support straps sewn on to it, there’s a lot of down force on the wind screen so some straps in that area up to the T top will help with that.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Reviving an old thread.... Old cover tore so I had to buy a new mooring cover and will put it on in a week or two when I get my boat home and get it cleaned up/ready to go for the summer.

Think I am going to use the 303 fabric guard on it before I use it. I'm guessing no one would advise me against using it on a brand new cover....???

The Canuck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I got my cover last year the water beaded off so well I didn’t see the point. A year later I feel like it could use a coating. Save yourself some time and money and wait until next year.

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I got my new cover and sprayed it down before too much exposure to the GA sun.. 303 is the best stuff out there IMHO … love it.

1gal of protectant to help a $1000 cover… yup… no brainer for me.