• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hull damage from boat lift

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The other thing to consider when using the the trailer bunk widths is that the trailer crossmember dips way down for the keel. This is why you can’t use that width to start with on a lift unless you have enough height.

Matts18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is a categorically wrong statement.

With the bunks set up correctly, but the lift not lowered all the way, you will hit the crossbar (of most lifts including the one in question, above) with the front part of the keel.

If water gets too shallow (too shallow to lower the lift completely) - it is best to not attempt entering the lift - or risk hitting the crossmember.

I see your point.

I only have experience setting up two lifts (hydro hoist and shoremate) but was able to space the bunks so that the lowest part of the keel would never be able to hit the crossmember due to the positioning of the bunks. Maybe I just lucked out and had more adjustability??

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
To make matters more fun, if you have a ballast system you also have to offset for the intake on the hull.

Side note, the trailer uses a set of two bunks and I found it very difficult to not the bind the hell out of my set of bunks to match the front and back trailer bunk spacing. Had to do a lot of trial and error with front to back spaces, height adjustments and off-sets for the intake on the hull to get ours to work on a Porta-dock system.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We purchased a lift this year to use with our 2018 Yamaha 242X and used it probably around 10 times throughout the summer (less than I hoped!). When taking the boat out of the water for the season yesterday we noticed a long scratch along the keel (see attached pictures). It looks like the front crossbar on the lift wasn't installed correctly and caused some damage. I'll take it to shop for repairs in a few weeks, but wanted to see how concerned I should be about this issue. I called the lift company and they are saying we should have noticed this sooner and they could have made adjustments. Thanks!
I would have had a heart attack finding that damage!!!

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would have had a heart attack finding that damage!!!
Maybe I should show you pictures from the end of last Saturday nights cruise. Came across an unmarked rock about 85’ off shore. At 5 mph we felt the boat lurk over it and have four 6-8 inch long keel gouges through the gel coat into the fiberglass. Nothing structural, just a pit in my stomach that night and a bit of end of season insurance work to orchestrate.

Attachments

Mike22

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just to close the loop on this issue - we were able to get the keel repaired for about $700 in central WI and the lift company paid about 1/2 and have fixed the lift to place the bunks closer together. Seemed like a fair resolution. The keel looks great again. I also have a KeelShield ready to install.

Attachments

Wishfull1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's hard to tell the area by the picture (which is good), judging by the incredible reflection of the the driveway and trailer, that looks like a premium repair to me. 👍