• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hydrolocked? Water still on after engine off

Boat2024!

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looking for oil leak while engine on and water circulating. OIL mess and leak bad then turned of motor and forgot to turn off water. Now What? Is it hydrolocked and can I correct it before I ruin engine? Started it and it idled briefly and quickly shut it off. Looking for 1st problem and created 2nd problem. Help!!!

Looking for oil leak while engine on and water circulating. OIL mess and leak bad then turned of motor and forgot to turn off water. Now What? Is it hydrolocked and can I correct it before I ruin engine? Started it and it idled briefly and quickly shut it off. Looking for 1st problem and created 2nd problem. Help!!!
How long was the water on without the engine running?

If it was truly hydrolocked it wouldn’t have turned when you engaged the starter.

If you started it after you had left the water on and there was enough water in the engine to cause a problem then the damage is done. Check the oil and see if water got in the oil.

The first place to check for an oil leak is the oil filter rusting at the crimp/ I use a much stronger oil filter for that reason. And I cover the filter crimp with aluminum tape to protect it some use grease.
Now for the water you need to remove the spark plugs and crank the engine also drain the oil from the engine, then heat some new oil on the grill and be careful when you pour it in the engine , leave it sit with the valve cover open allowing the heat to drive out some of the water and then when it cools drain the oil and re heat it to remove the water and repeat this a few times after that put in a new filter and new oil and run the engine on the hose, by the way it is advisable to have a shut off valve at the end of the hose so you can shut it off immediately even if you forget to shut it off at the other end. After you run it a while on the hose check to see if you have water in it if so the oil will look milked and if it does heat it on the grill and try again until it is clear.

If it started, idled, it is not hydrolocked. Trying to compress water, not air, in a cylinder will bend/break connecting rods or other internals and it will not start or idle, locking the motor. Have you tried to crank it over since? How long was the water on after motor shut down? How strong is the water pressure from the hose. You can pull the spark plugs, check for water and crank the motor. It will turn over if nothing is bent.

Last edited:
If it started, idled, it is not hydrolocked. Trying to compress water, not air, in a cylinder will bend/break connecting rods and it will not start or idle, locking the motor. Have you tried to crank it over since? How long was the water on after motor shut down? How strong is the water pressure from the hose. You can pull the spark plugs, check for water and crank the motor. It will turn over if nothing is bent.
Thanks Zipper. I will pull the plugs and check it out. Found the oil leak at least. Unfortunately has to go in to have oil pan taken off. A lot of money probably.

Back