• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Interesting Day on the Lake

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Our local Redding Yamaha/Seadoo dealer put on an event today. They served lunch, had a raffle drawing, provided PWCs for demo rides, and had Seabreacher and Jetovator demonstrations. Here is the day in pictures.

With the lake down 100' the Jones Valley Resort floating store and docks were about a mile from their position when the lake is full. This is where the event was held.

DSC09459-X2.jpg

Rental houseboats. All part of the floating dock system that can be relocated as the lake level changes.
DSC09446-X2.jpg

Free lunch
DSC09449-X3.jpg

I wanted very much to try out a SeaDoo Spark. I spent about 15 minutes on it. I had heard very good things about these small, light, and low priced skis. I know SeaDoo has a winner on it's hands here. However I was generally disappointed. They had the three seater, 90HP model for demo rides.

Pros:
- Good power for the weight. It had a great hole shot, and quickly accelerated to perhaps 40+mph; I didn't pay attention to the speedo.
- I was pleased with how stable it was. It took tight turns without making me feel like I was going to get spilled.
- The ride was dry (my Honda was always a wet ride).
- It has SeaDoos new brake system. I never felt the need for brakes on a ski but I think new riders would be safer with the brakes. But the real bonus is with that new system reverse isn't a handle below the handlebars, it is part of the brake system. You switch to reverse simply by pulling on the left handlebar lever. I really liked that feature.
- I liked that I could spin it and slide the stern around.

Cons:
- Being so short and light it comes out of the water easily and loses contact with the water, losing the jet pump action in the process. If you hold the throttle (thankfully a finger throttle instead of the old SeaDoo thumb throttle) it would porpoise until I backed off on the throttle.
- I thought it was under powered. I think it needs another 30 or so HP.
- The three cylinder Rotax engine vibrated the whole ski all the time.

This was the ski I rode.
DSC09428-X2.jpg

I'm sure many of you have seen these Jetovators before. The guy doing the demo was quite experienced at driving this thing. He even did some 360 vertical flips on it.

Here is the Jetovator. It is dependent on a modified jet ski to provide the jet power.
DSC09430-X2.jpg

DSC09464-X2.jpg

DSC09469-X2.jpg

DSC09477-X2.jpg

We've seen the Seabreacher on Shasta Lake a number of times as it is manufactured here in Redding. It's an interesting boat. There's a video on the web page linked above.
DSC09452-X2.jpg

DSC09455-X2.jpg

It turns out we won one of the prizes with the raffle. I picked this single tube.
DSC09489-X2.jpg

We tried towing two tubes for the first time. If we do this again we learned that it is necessary for both rope lengths to be the same. That would allow the tubes to play "bumper cars" with each other. But the single tube rope was too long and the interactions weren't pleasant.
DSC09491-X2.jpg

My 4-year-old son Cameron (was grandson until the adoption completed in April) was game for high speed tubing and had a blast.
DSC09497-X2.jpg

Brother Keith having some fun with Cameron
DSC09439-X2.jpg

Captain Cameron
DSC09484-X2.jpg

Wow, busy day! Looks awesome!

Thanks for the pics and day John, it would be neat to see more of those type of events staged by dealers! Congrats on the tube win, and John, I didn't know you have adopted your grandson, CONGRATS on that too! He has a great dad!

Looks like you guys had a blast! I'd never seen the Jetovator....don't know how I missed that....for the rest of you like me who've been living with the mushrooms, here is a video of one.

@jdonalds congrats on the adoption!

Very nice Write up and Pictures!
thanks

Riding on someone else's skis, free gas and lunch too? Sounds like a good time to me!!! :cool:

Also, congrats on adopting your son. He's one lucky boy.

What was the water temp?
Rick,
I dont have a water temp gauge but I'd guess high 60s. The kids said it felt good because the air temp was 93.

Thanks for the pics and day John, it would be neat to see more of those type of events staged by dealers! Congrats on the tube win, and John, I didn't know you have adopted your grandson, CONGRATS on that too! He has a great dad!
Thanks Mel. I didn't make a big deal about the adoption on the web, especially Facebook. My daughter agreed to the adoption but she's sensitive about it. He's been with us all but six months of his life and we were legal guardians. He's a great kid, my sixth, but there are challenges to having a four year old at the age of 67.

No doubt it is a big challenge John. Kudos to you guys for providing him the home he needs. It would be a big challenge for me at 58!

FYI Gas mileage. So often this subject comes up. I thought I'd figure out my mileage from the day for my own and other's information.

I pulled the tracks off my GPS from this trip. It totaled 51.3 miles using 18.267 gallons for 2.8 MPG. Except for a 20 minute segment of towing tubes the rest was mostly done at 30mph, supposedly the most fuel efficient speed for my boat.

The reason for so many miles was part of the day was to gather five tickets for the raffle. That meant going to the stores of five harbors to gather the tickets. Then later we picked up my son's girlfriend's cousin who wanted us to "zip" over to Bridge Bay Harbor to pick up her boyfriend - nine miles away!

Here is a 15 second video of the Jetovator I took yesterday.

Heres a good video

Last edited:
@jdonalds This is what I get when I click on the video. I think you need to switch the youtube setting to public. The jetavotor is cool. Thanks for sharing.
upload_2014-6-3_9-35-44.png

Thanks Mel. I didn't make a big deal about the adoption on the web, especially Facebook. My daughter agreed to the adoption but she's sensitive about it. He's been with us all but six months of his life and we were legal guardians. He's a great kid, my sixth, but there are challenges to having a four year old at the age of 67.

Agreed, I have a 2 year old and I am 35, I could not imagine a 4 year old at 67. But I am sure the little one is in a better situation now. So its worth it even though some times can be rough.

Look at it like this, he will have you getting more cardio then most 67yr olds in the country !!

Agreed, I have a 2 year old and I am 35, I could not imagine a 4 year old at 67. But I am sure the little one is in a better situation now. So its worth it even though some times can be rough.

Look at it like this, he will have you getting more cardio then most 67yr olds in the country !!
You have that right. We spend a lot of time at the BMX track these days. He was riding a two wheeler at the age of 3.

On the new micro-mini
20140527_160244-L.jpg

#307 at the track
20140530_202811-L.jpg

Last edited:
Great post and pics!

And congrats on the adoption. That little guy is going to keep you young!

Dang John, they are so little to be on those bikes! Great pics!

Back