• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Intermediate bearing

Patricko315

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve read through the posts on this forum regarding greasing the intermediate bearing. I have a 24 Ar250 that has the remote hose at the top of the engine that goes to the grease fitting. I’ve read about the dangers of blowing the seals in the housing if you overpack it with grease. I’ve read some are figuring out how many pumps of grease it would take to fill the hose to reach the bearing. I have no confidence that’s a good method and could easily see overfilling and blowing out those seals. Seems it would be easier to remove the hose and just fill from the fitting? Access is pretty easy to the fitting. I’ve also seen some are filling with gear lube, what’s the easiest way to fill with that method? Im at 20 hours and have also considered just leaving it alone and doing nothing. If the bearing is sealed why is it critical that space is filled with grease? Really don’t understand why Yamaha wouldn’t fill that space upon assembly rather than us do at the 10 hour inspection. Really seems like more damage can be done filling that space rather than just leaving it alone. Thanks for the continued help on this page.

The hose is for expansion.

FHS 210 Sport had a great post on this ................it's all in a light touch/feel on the grease handle..........this is how I add..... I pump 2 pumps on my bench......this gives me an amount my gun puts out and clears any air in the gun lines..........I pumped on zerk slowly, and at the end of stroke number one of my gun I felt it start getting hard on the feel. On the start of the second pump I felt it staying hard at the start.........I STOPPED before seal pop. VARY SLOW pumps to allow you to feel small difference in pressure.

FHS 210 Sport had a great post on this ................it's all in a light touch/feel on the grease handle..........this is how I add..... I pump 2 pumps on my bench......this gives me an amount my gun puts out and clears any air in the gun lines..........I pumped on zerk slowly, and at the end of stroke number one of my gun I felt it start getting hard on the feel. On the start of the second pump I felt it staying hard at the start.........I STOPPED before seal pop. VARY SLOW pumps to allow you to feel small difference in pressure.

Thanks!

Yes, just have to pay attention and don’t be a caveman when pumping grease in. It’s really too bad the design doesn’t include a fitting that can be removed to let grease out and you would know it is full.

The most important thing besides not over greasing this housing is to leave room for expansion, whether it’s grease or gear oil, leave room for expansion when the lube gets hot or it will push its way out.

The first time I greased the intermediate bearings I used an irrigation syringe (bought a bag of 60CC ones off of Amazon), pulled the plunger and put enough grease in it so when I compressed it there were no voids, put a zerk in the tip and then pumped grease in with my grease gun so I could measure the amount of grease going in per full stroke of the pump handle. Then added the amount of grease as prescribed in the manual to the intermediate bearing housing. This year I added grease with my grease gun by feel, then pulled the zerk on each bearing and using a piece of line trimmer line stuck that down in there to verify there was enough grease AND room for expansion.

So for you @Patricko315, for the first lubrication, I’d pull the hose off of the bearing housing (use a piece of trimmer line and check to see if there is grease in it while it’s open) and pump grease down the hose to make sure there are no voids / air pockets in the line, re assemble and add grease how I did the first time, on mine I think it was 33-35cc of grease. Is this a PITA? Yep, but it’s once a year and will take you maybe 15 mins total.

Make yourself one of these to make doing maintenance easier.

The bearings facing each other inside the housing must not be sealed or there wouldn’t be a greasing recommendation, therefore this area needs to be greased. If you’re hesitant have the dealer grease it, if they pop the seals then they own it. Have the tech show you how it’s done.

Going forward I’ll just pull the zerk and check the grease level before adding grease.

I’ve said this about the oil bath conversion of the outboard jet pump bearing, that set up doesn’t have the correct seals for gear lube, and I think the same is true about the intermediate bearings as well, if they were these systems would have been delivered this way. Several members here have had great success with converting the outboard bearings on the jet pump to oil bath, when they pull the cone the oil looks good, only one guy had a bit of water contamination, but I’ve also seen those members talk about the gear oil disappearing, well it’s going out the seals. Have a good look at the seals, the leading one, facing the bow, is set up to keep water out. These oil bath conversion members have a system and it works for them and I can’t argue with their success.

The other more important thing to me is that the EPNOC grease does not lose its lubricating qualities when water gets in it as the water blends with the grease in such away that there is no loss of lubrication-to a point of course, just like the water proof grease you use on the trailer bearings. EPNOC grease is a low viscosity grease that flows around inside the bearing cavity as the shaft is spinning at up to 8000 rpm. When I was packing the cones the last time I serviced them I was using a seal pick to stir the grease to remove any air pockets, as I stirred the grease it became like syrup and flowed, as well as sticking to the seal pick and tented as I drew it out.

Gear oil on the other hand is not tolerant of water contamination and loses the ability to provide lubrication once water intrudes into it, ask off roaders who got water in their differentials and then lost the diffs due to lubrication failure. So, if the maintenance is done as per the service manual (check every 100 hours for water contamination) the EPNOC grease works just fine. Heck there is a member here who had 750 hours on his boat and had never pulled the cones before and not only did he NOT have issues, and while the area under the cones was thin on EPNOC grease, it was pristine, he added new EPNOC grease installed new O rings on the cones and he was off to the races.

I'm convinced like FHS says the grease in the cones and bearings will last many years............In the future going to pull the jets every 2 years....NOT because I think the bearings need it...............it's the splines that need the grease long before the cone/bearing. My port shaft spline was virtually dry.... the Starboard spline had a small amount of lube but it was coal black.

Is the fitting pressed in or threaded? I have some leftover 80w-90 gear case lube from my Yamaha F300 would that work?
iI is threaded so it just unscrews and then screws back in and any gear lube will be fine.

Back