• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

issue getting spline off to replace impeller

Robert Albert

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
we have a SR230, 2004 and got a rock in it. we are in the process of taking the impeller off, and when we went to remove the spline we cannot pull it out. the barrings are shot, several pieces. any tricks on how to get it out?? it looks like from all the video you just pull it out. thanks in advance for any help!.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Got to pull hard.

DS end splines go into splines of mid bearing housing plate bolted to transom.

Years of corrosion and extreme pressure is making it difficult to just slide out

Attachments

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Robert Albert

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Photos are helpful.....but are you saying you can't get the impeller off the shaft, or the shaft is stuck in the boat.....I think you are saying the shaft is stuck in the boat...??
shaft is stuck in boat

Robert Albert

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Photos are helpful.....but are you saying you can't get the impeller off the shaft, or the shaft is stuck in the boat.....I think you are saying the shaft is stuck in the boat...??
yes, shaft stuck to the boat.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Try turning impeller both ways...tap tap and pull.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
put a wratchet strap on the impeller housing and something behind the boat, get good tension on the strap and then gently tap the housing/shaft to help it "break" free while the strap is pulling,

get a 2x4 rested against the forward part of the housing and whack it with a hammer a few times,

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
tried rotating the shaft a bit both ways?

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Got to pull hard.

DS end splines go into splines of mid bearing housing plate bolted to transom.

Years of corrosion and extreme pressure is making it difficult to just slide out
@14SX190 .....AWESOME PICTURES OF BEARING CASE + GREASE NIPPLE.....your picture to help @Robert Albert ALSO answers questions from forum members regarding greasing the bearing housing (first at 10 hours then every 100 hours or 6 months). IMO your picture (split case) shows the bearing in position with grease around it. This is what must be kept full to avoid water intrusion and keep the rubber perimeter seal lubricated. Nicely done! :cool:

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@14SX190 .....AWESOME PICTURES OF BEARING CASE + GREASE NIPPLE.....your picture to help @Robert Albert ALSO answers questions from forum members regarding greasing the bearing housing (first at 10 hours then every 100 hours or 6 months). IMO your picture (split case) shows the bearing in position with grease around it. This is what must be kept full to avoid water intrusion and keep the rubber perimeter seal lubricated. Nicely done! :cool:
Thanks.
I packed grease for that reason.

The grease nipple on mid bearing does very little other than spread over bearing race
Area in front or behind or where splines connect have zero way to service unless apart.
You can see where I was having water intrude behind plate attached to transom and caused rubber dampener to lift letting water into rear bearing.

Attachments

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have also heard of putting a 2x4 up the intake grate to tap on the impeller to coax the stuck shaft out (usually while the truck is attached, etc.).

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
What grease/anti-seize/seals/etc. should be used when reassembling these parts? Are any parts non-resuseable?There's a few places I could see...

1. Bolts holding nozzle/impeller duct to transom plate. Does anyone know the specified torque for these bolts?
2. Space between nozzle and impeller duct
3. Space between impeller duct and impeller housing
4. Bolts holding cone on
5. Seals/o-ring inside cone

Last edited:

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The only one I can state with certainty is the seal/o-ring inside the cone. That is to be replaced each time the cone is taken off.

As to all of the torques, I have always used the 'enough' measure and had no issues. The 'enough' measure means you estimate how much torque it took to take it off and put that back on. And I put anti-seize on most things, whether that is the spec or not.