• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jet Nozzle Plug / Bolt Adhesive?

Dornbox

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Anyone know what type of adhesive is used to on the bolt that plugs the hose barb on the jet nozzle? I’m tempted to use epoxy but maybe something more like a construction/ subfloor adhesive would be better in case it needed to be removed. I have no idea if the barb is used for anything.

Thanks!
Chris
IMG_2319.png

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
just looked at my port nozzle, It appears to be an epoxy, or like you mentioned liquid nails type adhesive.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There's a Loctite product for many of the bolts in that area, white in color, that remains pliable and does a damn fine job of holding bolts in place. It's NOT like the red or blue Loctite, and it's a different material.

@FSH 210 Sport will have the number and possibly the service manual's call out of what the correct product is per Yamaha. If not, I will, but not until Friday or Saturday

Dornbox

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Many thanks. It's so odd because the hole in the nozzle that the bolt plugs isn't even threaded from what I can tell. Apparently the adhesive is literally what keeps it in place. I found the missing bolt / plug while investigating why my starboard engine makes more noise than the port at idle and lower speeds. I can see that the water coming out has been wearing / polishing the nozzle deflector linkage and some other surfaces in the area. There's obviously real pressure there. It just feels like a MacGyver solution rather than an OEM one.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Many thanks. It's so odd because the hole in the nozzle that the bolt plugs isn't even threaded from what I can tell. Apparently the adhesive is literally what keeps it in place. I found the missing bolt / plug while investigating why my starboard engine makes more noise than the port at idle and lower speeds. I can see that the water coming out has been wearing / polishing the nozzle deflector linkage and some other surfaces in the area. There's obviously real pressure there. It just feels like a MacGyver solution rather than an OEM one.
On the FSH on the starboard side pump this outlet is used for the raw water wash down system while the port side is blocked off. I think they just stuff a bolt in there and screw it in there, obviously they forgot the adhesive on yours. I’ll have a look at my manual and see what the book says about the adhesive.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
That part outlet is used on the PWC version of the nozzle to produce the visual spray (rooster tail), like our pissers, but pre motor. The spray, or rooster, is meant to be a safety feature on Yamaha PWCs.

Keep it plugged or unplugged, shouldn't make any difference to the performance of your boat.

Dornbox

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
That part outlet is used on the PWC version of the nozzle to produce the visual spray (rooster tail), like our pissers, but pre motor. The spray, or rooster, is meant to be a safety feature on Yamaha PWCs.

Keep it plugged or unplugged, shouldn't make any difference to the performance of your boat.
Usually I wouldn't bother replacing it after hearing something like this but I am seeing some wear from the water stream in the area and I think it creates a weird cavitation sort of low muffled screech at idle and low rpm... or at least I'm hoping that's what's causing the sound as I can't find any other reason why my starboard side engine starts making that sound within a second or two after startup.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Usually I wouldn't bother replacing it after hearing something like this but I am seeing some wear from the water stream in the area and I think it creates a weird cavitation sort of low muffled screech at idle and low rpm... or at least I'm hoping that's what's causing the sound as I can't find any other reason why my starboard side engine starts making that sound within a second or two after startup.
It would not be good to allow this to continue to squirt water up against the hull. I’m sure it is making a heck of a noise!

Dornbox

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I'm hoping so! lol. Otherwise if it was under the hood of my truck or something I'd think a crankshaft bearing was going out. Although, now I'm wondering if I can easily plumb it up to a wash down hose or water cannon! :p Thanks

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I'm hoping so! lol. Otherwise if it was under the hood of my truck or something I'd think a crankshaft bearing was going out. Although, now I'm wondering if I can easily plumb it up to a wash down hose or water cannon! :p Thanks
I've always wanted to turn it into a plumbed water cannon somehow... :D