• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JETBOATPILOT HAS SOMETHING NEW COMING SOON!!!

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you look closely on the product images at the left side of the pivot point you'll see an integrated stop. It looks like an eagle's beak. Both fins have one and they will be stainless steel. They will come to rest on two stops added during installation and will limit the travel upward at a specific angle. Once the jet thrust forces the fins there the deflector takes over and sets the deflection angle of the jetstream. That is how we get the trim effect as well as the variety of angles. Without it this would simply be a fancy set of thrust vector xv's.
Did you consider making the fins out of metal? With the constant pressure. How is that going to affect the Eagles beak stop with the current material? I like the idea of this for us and wakeboarding, not surfing.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The quote within the context was trying to caveat the 100% statement, lol:

The key part of the statement is the last part - about the need to still list the boat!

Repositioning the swim platform bag, as good as it works, and as much as I love the thing, is a major PIA!

I am willing to bet money the Wake Wedge (Gatlin) plus the Gatlin swim deck ballast bag will beat any combination of the Will's new gizmo with/out the WakeBooster and throw anything else on top of it, hands down - when it comes to the quality and the size of the wake wave for surfing.

--
Completely agree that ballast (including the swim deck bag) isn't going anywhere. I am intrigued however about the idea of replacing the Wake Wedge. I love the Wake Wedge, and I love the surf wave it produces. I don't love it hanging off the back of the boat, and I don't love that I can't use it on the other side, no matter what else I change or don't change. Since the Wedge is just diverting jet wash itself, why do you feel this new product can't do the same thing? The only reason the Wake Wedge is so large is because its further from the nozzle, so it must be large to catch all the spray. With the "diverter" right at nozzle exit, I think its very reasonable to think it could produce the same result. We should know soon enough, but fun to discuss.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Completely agree that ballast (including the swim deck bag) isn't going anywhere. I am intrigued however about the idea of replacing the Wake Wedge. I love the Wake Wedge, and I love the surf wave it produces. I don't love it hanging off the back of the boat, and I don't love that I can't use it on the other side, no matter what else I change or don't change. Since the Wedge is just diverting jet wash itself, why do you feel this new product can't do the same thing? The only reason the Wake Wedge is so large is because its further from the nozzle, so it must be large to catch all the spray. With the "diverter" right at nozzle exit, I think its very reasonable to think it could produce the same result. We should know soon enough, but fun to discuss.

That isnt why the wedge is so big. Time will tell how this product will stack up. I have my concerns with this product and potential failure to other boat parts. Time will only tell. I myself do not want to ride around with "trim" all the time burning more fuel and not being able to turn it off.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was hesitant to publish this video for the public but after review I decided to make it public. It does a good job of teaching what we're looking to accomplish in production, obviously much more polished and robust. This video was produced to show our patent attorney how best to write the language needed.

I hope this helps shed some light on areas where there might be questions.

Will, wouldn't having the deflector between the fins be counter productive for slow speed steering?
Causing drag between the fins also.
I understand what you are doing to the jet wash and deflecting it down to clean up the water exiting the stern.
Also wouldn't that deflector make the fins rise up sooner with the added drag when down.
Are the fins now just a holder for the defector and not a steering aid?

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That isnt why the wedge is so big. Time will tell how this product will stack up. I have my concerns with this product and potential failure to other boat parts. Time will only tell. I myself do not want to ride around with "trim" all the time burning more fuel and not being able to turn it off.
My understanding was it only had a trim effect if set in the 3rd slot "tube" mode.

Just like the wedge if I understand both correctly above wake speed the wedge and thrusters wake dont have an effect at all.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
And... (no to piss in anyone's punch bowl, but...) the talk about surfing both sides of the wake... (I guess not listing the hull) is just making me a little skeptical about the whole thing... sorry.

--
No apology necessary, I knew we could count on you being the skeptic in the shadow of your success with the wedge and swim platform bag. :D

Seriously though, I agree with everything your saying outside of the rush to judgement that there isn't any way it can do what the wedge can do. I guess we'll see but to me it seems plausible that it can. If it can, its way more convenient solution than the wedge for families with both goofy and standard surfers. I really like my "always down" fins though so not sure I could go down this path anyway even if it does prove to work. The other thing I'm just not seeing is the fact that it changes the fin functionality into basically a bucket when down, that seems like it would really degrade the performance of the fins affect on steering and staying in place at slow speed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My understanding was it only had a trim effect if set in the 3rd slot "tube" mode.

Just like the wedge if I understand both correctly above wake speed the wedge and thrusters wake dont have an effect at all.
Per Will's video, and correct me if I am wrong, First detent is surfing, second is wakeboarding, and 3rd is for tubing. So that means even the first detent has angle. The Wake Wedge accomplishes being up and out of the way when the boat is on plane because it allows the jet blast to go under the wedge with no added drag or speed loss. This new TV would always be "on".

All I am going to say is this has nothing on the Wake Wedge, you still need ballast, you will still have to list the boat because we are not 100 pound surfers that can ride on practically no push. That is why Wake Wedge is made for surfers by surfers and we were the first ones in the game.

Dwrat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice,
But it needs a 4th adjustment or a way to remove the deflector for when your not towing toys.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not to beat a dead horse but three main issues with the wake on our jet boats. Jet spray, shape, and size. I think the TV SURF is innovative in attacking the spray issue at the jet nozzle and may help a bit with shape as a result. I think articulating nozzles like on skis could do a similar thing too. I really like that there are wakeboard and tubing settings on the TV SURF. I agree with the always on comments above regarding always on and perhaps JBP will discover there needs to be a 4th setting (off).

It is important to remember two things... that this product is not yet final and competition is most usually a good thing for consumers. It will be interesting to see how the wedge, the tv surf, and wake booster and perhaps combinations of them stack up. Ballast will always be needed for surfing our boats IMO.

I do wonder about the effectiveness of the tv vs tv surf for the low speed steering application. At the end of the day with at least 2 new surf products for our boats hitting the market next year it will be a good year to be a consumer of those products with more choices.

Congrats on the innovative thinking again @JetBoatPilot. I think we all foward to some videos of it in action with a surfer.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Will, wouldn't having the deflector between the fins be counter productive for slow speed steering?
Causing drag between the fins also.
I understand what you are doing to the jet wash and deflecting it down to clean up the water exiting the stern.
Also wouldn't that deflector make the fins rise up sooner with the added drag when down.
Are the fins now just a holder for the defector and not a steering aid?
Glad someone volunteered... to inject some reasoning.
:cool:

--

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No apology necessary, I knew we could count on you being the skeptic in the shadow of your success with the wedge and swim platform bag. :D

Seriously though, I agree with everything your saying outside of the rush to judgement that there isn't any way it can do what the wedge can do. I guess we'll see but to me it seems plausible that it can. If it can, its way more convenient solution than the wedge for families with both goofy and standard surfers. I really like my "always down" fins though so not sure I could go down this path anyway even if it does prove to work. The other thing I'm just not seeing is the fact that it changes the fin functionality into basically a bucket when down, that seems like it would really degrade the performance of the fins affect on steering and staying in place at slow speed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Competition is a good thing. Seems like a few folks getting a little worried and upset around here.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm not a surfer, so not likely in line to buy this but I'm intrigued. Curious how these will fare on boat's that sit in the water all season - I could see that adjusting mechanism getting jammed in a hurry. Looking forward to seeing pics of the wave/wake at all three settings.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Competition is a good thing. Seems like a few folks getting a little TOO LOGICAL around here.
Here, I fixed it for you.
:D

--

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here, I fixed it for you.
:D

--
In all seriousness it’s good to see new products and innovation come to market for jet boats. Is one better than the other? Who knows. I’m waiting to see results of the fins from jetboatpilot. I sold my boat a few months back and already miss it. I’m trying to decide if my next boat will be a 242x or a V drive.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Per Will's video, and correct me if I am wrong, First detent is surfing, second is wakeboarding, and 3rd is for tubing. So that means even the first detent has angle. The Wake Wedge accomplishes being up and out of the way when the boat is on plane because it allows the jet blast to go under the wedge with no added drag or speed loss. This new TV would always be "on".

All I am going to say is this has nothing on the Wake Wedge, you still need ballast, you will still have to list the boat because we are not 100 pound surfers that can ride on practically no push. That is why Wake Wedge is made for surfers by surfers and we were the first ones in the game.
I agree 100% on still needing ballast. I dont have either product steering or wedge arm. My wife wasnt "sold" on needing extras. Once I out ballast on she said surfing without it was boring.

I get what you are saying in regards to still having some type of push/wash down. I guess I interpreted that going above surf speed the fins would flip up and be out of the way, or very little effect in jets.

Or the angle is so little to surf since it's not being pushed up as much due to speed that it's an issue.

Idk, the product is in development still.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

It should be interesting to see what the final product looks like. I'm intrigued, but the thought of "dragging trim" while not utilizing the toys makes me think about my fuel... Not that it would be a lot, but the option to "turn off" the trim would be nice. Also, if the "trim" is constatly on, wouldn't the bow cut through the waves a bit more or is that not enough force coming from the jets through the "deflectors" to do that? But hey, I'm just here trying not to make an ass outta myself... or am I too late with that?

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m trying to decide if my next boat will be a 242x or a V drive.
If you want to trailer a lot and do more than just surf and wakeboard and tube, a 24' Yamaha is super hard to beat! In the "Swiss Army Knife" category, it is currently the king, IMO.

I see myself unlikely to switch any time soon.

I like having just one boat that can do it all. But... If we do move to some real lake, I would get a wake boat. A friend of ours got a leftover MasterCraft NXT last year for something like 65k, and there are many dedicated wake boats below 100k, so the prices of 242Xs start looking a bit silly when you consider that.

With the 240/242 Yamaha surfing will always require some inconvenient ballast and listing of the boat, no way around it, the need to move the ballast when switching sides is inevitable IMO.

I think that anyone promising seamless surf-side switching behind those boats is making empty promises, it is not going to happen. We know how much ballast those boats can maximally pull, we know what the best wake surfing wave looks like. There is room for improvement for sure, but the SURF TVs by themselves are not going to make a surfable wave.

--

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you want to trailer a lot and do more than just surf and wakeboard and tube, a 24' Yamaha is super hard to beat! In the "Swiss Army Knife" category, it is currently the king, IMO.

I see myself unlikely to switch any time soon.

I like having just one boat that can do it all. But... If we do move to some real lake, I would get a wake boat. A friend of ours got a leftover MasterCraft NXT last year for something like 65k, and there are many dedicated wake boats below 100k, so the prices of 242Xs start looking a bit silly when you consider that.

With the 240/242 Yamaha surfing will always require some inconvenient ballast and listing of the boat, no way around it, the need to move the ballast when switching sides is inevitable IMO.

I think that anyone promising seamless surf-side switching behind those boats is making empty promises, it is not going to happen. We know how much ballast those boats can maximally pull, we know what the best wake surfing wave looks like. There is room for improvement for sure, but the SURF TVs by themselves are not going to make a surfable wave.

--
Yes, I really enjoyed my 242. It was a great all around boat. Going to be a tough decision when I decide to pull the trigger on the next one.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yes, I really enjoyed my 242. It was a great all around boat. Going to be a tough decision when I decide to pull the trigger on the next one.
I want you to play this every time you think about dumping your 242...