• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoatPilot's New Surf Tech, Thrust Vector Wake

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think the booster is trying to scoop more water into jets and make a bigger wave?

Wonder how it would work as the vectors are pushing down only what is being shot out of pump.

To me the wake wedge and booster might be better combo because of the large area in which wedge covers. My reasoning is that if the booster isnt able to scoop the water all the way over the wedge can clean up a larger area.. not sure if that even makes sense.
You can not have the Booster and the Wedge (both) on at the same time, they both mount on the surf side using the U-bolt tie down.

I said this before, it is possible the surf TVs in combination with the Booster will induce the delayed convergence effect, and it is possible it would be strong enough to augment the wake on the surf side and make a killer surfable wave:
Basically, the Booster would cause the hull to over-steer towards the surf side and then the jet steering nozzles (equipped with the surf TVs) would need to be pointed/steered towards the surf side (to counter-steer the hull) - possibly inducing delayed convergence and making a great wave.

(IMO)
Possible? Yes.
Likely? No.

Honestly, I would be quite shocked (but also elated!) if it all worked together like that. Keep in mind it is all completely empirical with those boats. Need water testing to know any results.

--

Matts18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This looks like a great product. Any downside or negative effect when cruising? Decreased top speed due to the negative trim?

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Video of Thrust Vector Wake in action. Sorry for the short length but the water is freezing cold here and we did not get much time today since it gets dark so early now. More video soon to come.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey guys and gals,

After getting overwhelming demand from our current customers we've decided to offer an upgrade program for current Thrust Vector/Cobra Fin owners. Here's the details:

-Purchase Thrust Vector Wake during the pre-sale period.
-Pay sale price listed on the website.
-Return your current set of fins to us and get $100 refund for twin or $50 refund for singles.
-Refund will be via the payment method used during purchase or by check if outside 60 days of purchase.
-Order by phone to setup upgrade or add notes during checkout if you intend to return your current fins.

Call 850-867-1410 To Order By Phone Today or order online by clicking here.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Video of Thrust Vector Wake in action. Sorry for the short length but the water is freezing cold here and we did not get much time today since it gets dark so early now. More video soon to come.

What boat is this on? Any Ballast loaded?

Bearsar240

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Will there be more info/videos before the pre order sale ends?

Is there added stress to the nozzle that could cause failer and need to replace the nozzle?

Last edited:

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What boat is this on? Any Ballast loaded?
212X no ballast. We're working on shooting more variables but this is the best I could get on short notice.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Will there be more info/videos before the pre order sale ends?

Is there added stress to the nozzle that could cause failer and need to replace the nozzle?
We do not foresee any more stress added than some of our competitors are adding by attaching fins which stay in the water at all times. We feel like we're well below that threshold.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We do not foresee any more stress added than some of our competitors are adding by attaching fins which stay in the water at all times. We feel like we're well below that threshold.
Interesting comment. I would think the way the Surf/Wake TVs work it would by definition create drag (resistance). Cobras (down at speed) must generate a lot of lateral resistance in sharp turns.
But, the SURF TVs deflect the jet wash directly behind, a little bit like running with reverse buckets slightly lowered albeit the angles are of course quite different. Nevertheless, there is no question those must generate some drag as the jet streams are bounced down directly at the nozzles, so questions of added stress are going to be asked.

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
haaa that is funny, I may get to be the one saying to people it will rip your pumps off and be telling the truth ,the worm turns.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Interesting comment. I would think the way the Surf/Wake TVs work it would by definition create drag (resistance). Cobras (down at speed) must generate a lot of lateral resistance in sharp turns.
But, the SURF TVs deflect the jet wash directly behind, a little bit like running with reverse buckets slightly lowered albeit the angles are of course quite different. Nevertheless, there is no question those must generate some drag as the jet streams are bounced down directly at the nozzles, so questions of added stress are going to be asked.

--
Yes, I understand the concern, but the nozzles are built to take the full thrust of the pump with the reverse bucket down - no? Yes the buckets are down and taking the force at a much less duration (especially full throttle) but the buckets would also create a ton more resistance. I don't know, again I see the concern, but I never have any concerns that my nozzles are going to blow apart when I hit full throttle reverse. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I guess a argument could be made about wear over time which is maybe the concern in question.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes, I understand the concern, but the nozzles are built to take the full thrust of the pump with the reverse bucket down - no? Yes the buckets are down and taking the force at a much less duration (especially full throttle) but the buckets would also create a ton more resistance. I don't know, again I see the concern, but I never have any concerns that my nozzles are going to blow apart when I hit full throttle reverse. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I guess a argument could be made about wear over time which is maybe the concern in question.
Time will tell but we've witnessed these pumps take much more than we'd ever have subjected them to in the early days. We've beefed up our hardware and are trying to over engineer to be safe.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, I understand the concern, but the nozzles are built to take the full thrust of the pump with the reverse bucket down - no?
Actually, the reverse is RPM-limited in all new-er Yamahas. So... no, the OEM reverse buckets are never exposed to WOT thrust. Not in my boat, as far as I can think.

--

Bearsar240

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is the pre order Sale running until the new year?

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Actually, the reverse is RPM-limited in all new-er Yamahas. So... no, the OEM reverse buckets are never exposed to WOT thrust. Not in my boat, as far as I can think.

--
Yep your right forgot about that.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot if you can... Can you shoot video of standard thrust vectors and surf vectors to show difference with a side by side comparison??

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yep your right forgot about that.
Yeah, but this is not what worries me most, actually. Talking about the Wake Wedge for example (because there is a lot of experience and data points with that) even with a ton of ballast on top/corner of swim deck the wedge just kind of glides on top of the water. Even then I believe there were some reports of bent stainless steel pins etc. when set up wrong or too aggressively. The SURF TVs, being mounted way lower, if pushed down to submerge by ballast will drag the new plates like crazy and could overwhelm the "stops" (that keep them from flipping up), so using a ton of swim deck ballast may not be an option. I could be completely wrong, of course. And also - if surfing with the WakeBooster (and no ballast) works - that combo could be ideal. So, well, we'll see.

--

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Yeah, but this is not what worries me most, actually. Talking about the Wake Wedge for example (because there is a lot of experience and data points with that) even with a ton of ballast on top/corner of swim deck the wedge just kind of glides on top of the water. Even then I believe there were some reports of bent stainless steel pins etc. when set up wrong or too aggressively. The SURF TVs, being mounted way lower, if pushed down to submerge by ballast will drag the new plates like crazy and could overwhelm the "stops" (that keep them from flipping up), so using a ton of swim deck ballast may not be an option. I could be completely wrong, of course. And also - if surfing with the WakeBooster (and no ballast) works - that combo could be ideal. So, well, we'll see.

--
No doubt we are talking about a lot of pressure on those plates but personally I think any pressure from water flowing by, around and over them because of ballast effect pales in comparison to the pressure they will see from the pumps. Granted I’ve never seen a vid or picture of the pumps in action when the stern is sunk with ballast (which would be interesting) but I got to think that most of the water around the back and top of the nozzle is being displaced by the pump jet stream. Kinda like when your wife doesn’t notice the $700 charge for a new cover when you are paying $50k for the boat. :D
Anyway all speculation and will be interesting how this all evolves with these new surf product options this year.

Bearsar240

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well if jetboatpilot warranties the nozzle than it's definatly worth a try for everyone!:)