• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoatPilot's New Surf Tech, Thrust Vector Wake

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey guys and gals,

After getting overwhelming demand from our current customers we've decided to offer an upgrade program for current Thrust Vector/Cobra Fin owners. Here's the details:

-Purchase Thrust Vector Wake during the pre-sale period.
-Pay sale price listed on the website.
-Return your current set of fins to us and get $100 refund for twin or $50 refund for singles.
-Refund will be via the payment method used during purchase or by check if outside 60 days of purchase.
-Order by phone to setup upgrade or add notes during checkout if you intend to return your current fins.

Call 850-867-1410 To Order By Phone Today or order online by clicking here.
Will, thanks for this. Will help take the sting out of the price. Still gotta clear it with the boss.....

bthessel

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ordered a set and the lateral thrusters yesterday. Excited to see how the combo works compared to the old set of TV's that are on my AR230

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yes, I understand the concern, but the nozzles are built to take the full thrust of the pump with the reverse bucket down - no? Yes the buckets are down and taking the force at a much less duration (especially full throttle) but the buckets would also create a ton more resistance. I don't know, again I see the concern, but I never have any concerns that my nozzles are going to blow apart when I hit full throttle reverse. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I guess a argument could be made about wear over time which is maybe the concern in question.
I think those are two different types of forces too. Having the reverse bucket down essentially pulls straight back on the nozzle like you were grabbing it and pulling on it. But these appear they would pull up at an angle which is a completely different kind of stress on the mounting points.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think those are two different types of forces too. Having the reverse bucket down essentially pulls straight back on the nozzle like you were grabbing it and pulling on it. But these appear they would pull up at an angle which is a completely different kind of stress on the mounting points.
Which mounting points?

The horizontal mouting pins for the thrust vectors and reverse buckets will see the same stress type (shear), but a revised magnitude and direction.

The vertical nozzle mounting pins however will change from a straight shear (when bucket is down in reverse at full speed) to a bending (when the TV are up and diverting thrust downward. The bending and shear numbers don't combine linearly (it's not a straight addition), but the additional can be significant.

My suspicion is that even Yamaha doesn't know the magnitude of these force numbers, and have sized those pins based on experience. I also would suspect they haven't "optimized" that size selection, and we haven't seen a multitude of failures on those, so they are more than likely oversized for the loads at hand.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Well the extra force on the nozzle itself would be minimal. There wouldn't be any major additional leverage on the nozzle its self because the catch point of the fin is so close to the pivot point. Most of the force is on the mounting bolts the are used for both the bucket and the fins. Yeah the force direction on the bolts is in a different direction but same bolt. But my point is that the force on the nozzle is negligible IMHO as a result of this product vs the forces already on it stock. The failure point (if there is one) of adding this product would likely be the product itself (ear catch point etc) not the nozzle. Of course this is all speculation and just my gut feeling vs other's gut feelings.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
HMMMMMMMM INTERESTING

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well the extra force on the nozzle itself would be minimal. There wouldn't be any major additional leverage on the nozzle its self because the catch point of the fin is so close to the pivot point. Most of the force is on the mounting bolts the are used for both the bucket and the fins. Yeah the force direction on the bolts is in a different direction but same bolt. But my point is that the force on the nozzle is negligible IMHO as a result of this product vs the forces already on it stock. The failure point (if there is one) of adding this product would likely be the product itself (ear catch point etc) not the nozzle. Of course this is all speculation and just my gut feeling vs other's gut feelings.
Yep.
The way I see it, those surf TVs essentially become “down at speed”. In addition, the “ear catch point”/stopper will experience very significant forces. That is going to be interesting.

I would think that what you are running with: the LTs with Cobras down and fangs - that is probably the best currently available combination. Come the new surf TVs, and the new OEM nozzles, we will see.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Yep.
The way I see it, those surf TVs essentially become “down at speed”. In addition, the “ear catch point”/stopper will experience very significant forces. That is going to be interesting.

I would think that what you are running with: the LTs with Cobras down and fangs - that is probably the best currently available combination. Come the new surf TVs, and the new OEM nozzles, we will see.

Yeah I currently can’t see myself going away from that combination either. Only reason I can imagine is that I’m planning on giving the wake booster a go so in the back of my mind I’m wondering how the surf TVs would compliment that - but I’d be hard pressed to get rid of an “always down” fin configuration unless that new combination is proven stellar.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wanted to post this here from another thread going on...

Pre-Order pricing has been extended through the end of January for now. Same price as December.

More video content coming soon but not until my test surfer is allowed to get back on a board. He pulled a ligament and the doc told him to stay off the water for a month. We'll do what we can in the meantime but until then we won't have much to show with a rider on the wave. We're also going through a part redesign right now and I have some more tweaking to do before I can get back on the water. The Holidays and the development of the Thrust Vector X slowed me down some.

Also just today we found a way to add the much requested off feature so that users can select a max performance setting and have practically no deflection. So in production, as long as all tests well, we'll have 4 settings. Max Performance (Off), Surf, WakeBoard & Tube. Pictures soon to come and testing hopefully next week with results asap!

I want to clarify that there is no setting that keeps the fins down while at speed. The fins are always up unless below 5mph. We have always chosen this route for several reasons which I can explain if need be. Also we're really beefing up the stops so that they are durable and that we'll feel confident offering our lifetime warranty on the Thrust Vector Wake as well.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@JetBoatPilot

You said it fits all Yamaha’s 2003 and up boats... does that include the ar210?

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot

You said it fits all Yamaha’s 2003 and up boats... does that include the ar210?
If it has room for the width of the fins now that the springs are inboard then yes. I need to bolt up a set to verify. Some of the older two stroke models were really tight and we had some clearance issues if we had gone much wider.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If it has room for the width of the fins now that the springs are inboard then yes. I need to bolt up a set to verify. Some of the older two stroke models were really tight and we had some clearance issues if we had gone much wider.
Thanks, I was under the impression that the early ar210’s and all the ls/lx boats were the same hull, pump and engines.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot will you extend the intro price until the new videos are posted? I really need to see how much of a difference this makes before pulling the trigger

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot will you extend the intro price until the new videos are posted? I really need to see how much of a difference this makes before pulling the trigger
Totally agree, this is a must

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For sure, the pre sale pricing has been extended until at least Jan 31. In February it may be reduced a bit but likely will not be as good as it is now since we're in the slowest part of the year. Hope to have new videos next week or the week after.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks, I was under the impression that the early ar210’s and all the ls/lx boats were the same hull, pump and engines.
Early Exciter models had a really tight fiberglass area surrounding the jet pumps. Later models seemed to be wider. All two strokes were more constrained than the 4 stroke models.

ptwb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Regarding forces, this product is just angling the thrust down so you have to do some math on the thrust redirection angle etc to determine the extra forces on the bolts. But... you could also think of it this way, this product redirects the thrusts down, which isn't really any different then when one is steering and using the nozzle to redirect the thrust to the side. The only difference is which bolts are taking the forces. When one is steering and redirecting thrust, even at very high speeds and forces, the two main bolts top and bottom between the pump and nozzle are taking the extra forces. With the articulating keel, the forces on those two main bolts are even greater because of the rudder. This product redirects the thrust down, but will only be used at much lower speeds but now it is also involving the bolts between the reverse gate and nozzle. If the main bolts can handle redirecting thrust left/right and a rudder at WOT speeds, I just find it hard to believe there's really going to be an issue with the other bolts (that can already handle full low speed reverse thrust) redirecting the thrust down. If anything did break, I would think it would be between the nozzle and bucket, not at the pump.

The real story is Yamaha is being out innovated by JetBoatPilot.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Time will tell but there are a lot more things in play than what you mentioned, that being said I certainly hope that the customers come first and will delivers a good product that makes them happy.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thank you for the high praise @ptwb , we're working hard over here to make sure all the questions that have been asked are being addressed. This thing does not come to market if it even has the slightest chance of jeopardizing our name or causing harm to another person.

As mentioned I believe a plastic component will fail far before a metal component, thus the reason we've always opted for polymers in our fin systems.