• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoatPilot's New Surf Tech, Thrust Vector Wake

WilCo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The outside part that forces water inward is suppose to be out further.

Apparently where it was located before it was hanging down into the jet wash, this also not deflecting all of it inward I would assume.
Correct. My new deflector is quite a bit wider than the original. Hardware kit should be here today so hopefully I’m testing it out this afternoon or tomorrow

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
View attachment 98349
Just installed mine today, relatively easy install. Thanks Will, will give an update when I get on the water next weekend

Great job! I just finished my install this morning as well.

The hardest part on my install we removing the old anodes. As my boat was previously on salt water and sheared a bolt off.

That was easy to get out and the rest of the install was simple with Will’s video on the iPad.

This is not a hard install and should not take six hours if you take out the cure time. Heck wills video is not that long and it has minimal editing in it.

Anyone that thinks this is a hard install needs to suck it up and get the big boy tools out. Or we may need to take away your man card.

For those anxious to finish the install before cure, be sure to follow Wills suggestion about putting some extra effort in that set screw. It would not be hard to knock it loose when tuning the fins as you are torquing down a jam nut that puts the exact twist on the up stop plate to break it loose.

Good luck guys

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great job! I just finished my install this morning as well.

The hardest part on my install we removing the old anodes. As my boat was previously on salt water and sheared a bolt off.

That was easy to get out and the rest of the install was simple with Will’s video on the iPad.

This is not a hard install and should not take six hours if you take out the cure time. Heck wills video is not that long and it has minimal editing in it.

Anyone that thinks this is a hard install needs to suck it up and get the big boy tools out. Or we may need to take away your man card.

For those anxious to finish the install before cure, be sure to follow Wills suggestion about putting some extra effort in that set screw. It would not be hard to knock it loose when tuning the fins as you are torquing down a jam nut that puts the exact twist on the up stop plate to break it loose.

Good luck guys
Ouch...I've been a little reluctant to do the install. Now I've had the gauntlet thrown done, guess I need to put on my big boy panties and get it done!

Thanks for the encouraging words @biffdotorg !!

SColby7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I was able to finish my install this past weekend. This was our first time out for the season. The steering does seem much tighter than it used to be at higher speeds. I find it tolerable while my wife does not. Typically I'm the one pulling tubes and wakeboards. She handles the boat when I'm out surfing/boarding. I do want her to feel comfortable when doing so. One thing I do need to make sure of is that I have the up stops set to the new gage. Hopefully checking/adjusting to this will lighten things up enough for her to not mind it.

Attachments

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ouch...I've been a little reluctant to do the install. Now I've had the gauntlet thrown done, guess I need to put on my big boy panties and get it done!

Thanks for the encouraging words @biffdotorg !!
do it dude! You can do it! Mines done in the water now!!! Woo woo

Last edited:

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Finished the install about 1.5 hours. Went well but was unsure about the length of the nylon bushing. See photo. It seems to me they are too short. It appears the spring canted inward may keep the bushing in the fin hole. But I wonder.A0F177E9-0E91-4B48-ACFF-6C3FB8CB9473.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The bushings and spring definitely don’t look right. I’d say you didn’t get them lined up right before tightening.

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The bushings and spring definitely don’t look right. I’d say you didn’t get them lined up right before tightening.
They (4 bolts) are lined up correctly and the shoulder bolt is snugged up to the housing. I just don’t think the nylon bushing is not long enough. Will mentioned in one of his video’s that the nylon washer and bushing will be replaced with a bushing with a flanged end which would work and keep the nylon bushing in the pivot hole on the Fin. I am just worried the bushing will slide out of the pivot hole

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They (4 bolts) are lined up correctly and the shoulder bolt is snugged up to the housing. I just don’t think the nylon bushing is not long enough. Will mentioned in one of his video’s that the nylon washer and bushing will be replaced with a bushing with a flanged end which would work and keep the nylon bushing in the pivot hole on the Fin. I am just worried the bushing will slide out of the pivot hole
I just spoke to Will and the bushing is engineered to be short and the spring will keep the bushing from walking out of the fin pivot hole. whew!

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This is my 3rd installation of TV's on 2 boats. The TVW is by far the hardest to get the bushing lined up right. And you have springs now on both sides. I think the springs, bushings, standoff and bolts are universal. So if it worked on mine is should work on yours. The metal stand off should not be visible as it is in your photo. The wide nylon bushing extends through the fin all the way to the mount completely covering up the metal stand off when properly aligned. As you can see in my photo, the bolt and metal washer line up perfectly with the nylon washer up against the fin but inside, both the nylon stand off washer and fin are free floating. The bolt tightens snug against the metal standoff. With the pressure from the springs it's difficult to get the fin over the nylon stand off, but when you do everything lines up and the spring won't be sideways like on yours. Your correct you have a problem, but I don't think it's the length of the nylon bushing. Unless you are upgrading from the old TV's and tried to reuse the old parts (not compatible). Hope this helps.

IMG_2415.jpg

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just spoke to Will and the bushing is engineered to be short and the spring will keep the bushing from walking out of the fin pivot hole. whew!
Will would know best, but that looks like a bigger gap then I remember.

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Will would know best, but that looks like a bigger gap then I remember.
I agree they seem too short but... I will be out tomorrow and check my new mantra. ...trust the engineering ....trust the engineering!

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot mine look the same on a 2005. It looks like the white collar is going to slide out from the fin. Not sure what is going to prevent it from moving as the fin rotates?

dadofral

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Installed the updated parts earlier this week and took the boat out. The handling is so much improved over the original design that I feel much better about it. Relatively no heavy steering. Tight turning radius is back. We just have to find tune it a bit to get the wake dialed in and find the proper ballast set up. Great job on the updated parts Will!

cbrown9956

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
So got the TVW installed without a problem. Took it out for a spin and noticed putting it in gear seemed to he harder to do. Has anyone else noticed that? Is there a fix for it also?

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So got the TVW installed without a problem. Took it out for a spin and noticed putting it in gear seemed to he harder to do. Has anyone else noticed that? Is there a fix for it also?
You may have pinched the reverse bucket with the white acetal bushing. Can you verify?

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot mine look the same on a 2005. It looks like the white collar is going to slide out from the fin. Not sure what is going to prevent it from moving as the fin rotates?
The spring itself prevents it from sliding out of its pivot point. When the preload is set the spring traps the bushing. In the next generation we're combining the
Bushing with the nylon washer on the outside of the fin's pivot point. It will make the install alot easier and will help to further insure it's done right.

cbrown9956

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
You may have pinched the reverse bucket with the white acetal bushing. Can you verify?
I’ve confirmed nothing is out of aligned and the white acetal bushing is not pinching the bucket.