• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoatPilot's New Surf Tech, Thrust Vector Wake

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m curious to know where your set to. I set mine with the V2 gauge and had very inconsistent results with spray on tubers.
I checked where the stop on my fins is positioned. I used the v1 gauge the top of the Allen wrench is where my fins measured. It looks like they are way too high on the gauge but I don't want to mess with it because it's working for me right now.

Attachments

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Will, I saw you posted on the Jet Boaters Facebook that you are finalizing some revisions next week. Can you elaborate on the changes? Have my TVWs sitting by the door for install this weekend, but curious if I should hold off for an update?
Mostly improvements in hardware to make easier to install. Also working on an improvement for 24 foot boat owners.... more to come on that soon.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Im also having a hard time getting on plane with any weight on the back. once I finally got to try them yesterday, for whatever reason I couldn't use any ballast, I was getting a lot of spray from the fins themselves. kind of like when you put your thumb over a hose when watering
My report after this weekend of riding.

At tubing speeds, there is plenty of spray in the back of the boat no matter where weight is in the boat. This is a non issue, as it is just dirty water immediately at the back of the boat. I was sure of this as I jumped on the tube and it is a nearly dry ride at 60ft back. So the TV-wakes are doing what they are supposed to do.

Keep in mind, there is going to be some turbulance, just based on what those deflectors between the fins are trying to do. And I could swear the volume of the wake is greater even at tube speeds. I could be on crack, but it was surprising the size. This is with an average load on the boat with no ballast. Average load being 4-6 folks from teen-adult spread around. And no, we usually have someone in the bow as they like to sit there.

Friday, we had 9 on the boat, mostly 120-150lb teens. We had the Custom transom bag filled to max (as per swatski) and everyone spread from bow to stern on the surf side. Or at least as long as I could get them to stay seated there. The wave at 10.5-11mph was nice sized, and surprised the kids. It would curl when everyone stayed on the surf side. The second someone would forget, and sit on the other side, it would go away.

Bow weight was key, as it allowed the boat to get up to surf speed with ease. It also lengthened the wave as everyone suggested. Saturday, my two 400lb bags came in (back home!!) So this weekend, I am going to put one, in the locker, and one in the bow. Then everyone can sit in the back and move from side to side for list weight.

I actually think, this setup will require a 750-1100lb locker bag and these 400lb bags will be placed elsewhere as list weight. It's so tough to get 9 people in the boat with enough patience to allow me time to fill bags. Once it was rolling, they were all in line for a chance though. So I hope to be prepared for an average amount of passengers like 3-4.

All of these surf devices require weight as the experienced yamaha surfers have preached from day one. If you buy these TV-wakes and expect it to magically throw up a smooth curling wave, you are fooling yourself. It's not much better than stock without ballast, the transom bag is just the start. You can prove this theory by getting all your chubby friends on board and put them where bags should be. The one you cannot skimp on, is the amount of weight you can get in the most rear surfside corner of the swimdeck. If your bilge pump is not pumping out water every so often, it's not weighed down enough.

Good luck everyone!

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I checked where the stop on my fins is positioned. I used the v1 gauge the top of the Allen wrench is where my fins measured. It looks like they are way too high on the gauge but I don't want to mess with it because it's working for me right now.

@JetBoatPilot, what is the difference between the V1 and V2 gauges?

Thats

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
At tubing speeds, there is plenty of spray in the back of the boat no matter where weight is in the boat. This is a non issue, as it is just dirty water immediately at the back of the boat. I was sure of this as I jumped on the tube and it is a nearly dry ride at 60ft back. So the TV-wakes are doing what they are supposed to do.

Keep in mind, there is going to be some turbulance, just based on what those deflectors between the fins are trying to do. And I could swear the volume of the wake is greater even at tube speeds. I could be on crack, but it was surprising the size. This is with an average load on the boat with no ballast. Average load being 4-6 folks from teen-adult spread around. And no, we usually have someone in the bow as they like to sit there.
I can confirm that you stay dry until @biffdotorg brings the tube sideways @ the wake. Then you get wet. Because you're in the damn lake. These things throw a bigger wake for tubing - no doubt about it.

Friday, we had 9 on the boat, mostly 120-150lb teens. We had the Custom transom bag filled to max (as per swatski) and everyone spread from bow to stern on the surf side. Or at least as long as I could get them to stay seated there. The wave at 10.5-11mph was nice sized, and surprised the kids. It would curl when everyone stayed on the surf side. The second someone would forget, and sit on the other side, it would go away.
1. Ouch, yet thank you.
2. If you get enough people to the side the curl is absolutely beautiful and has push. Goodluck getting kids to stay there.

DirkG

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yesterday, tubing with only 50' of rope, riders said there was no spray in their faces. Thanks Will @JetBoatPilot

Day before, surfing with stock ballast full on surf side, and 75% on opposite, and 50% in the center, TVW, wake booster, and 6 adults spread around the boat had a GREAT wave. Ropeless no problem, for anyone.

Now have to figure out bag or what? for transom weight.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Now have to figure out bag or what? for transom weight.
The bag with a Tsunami pump fills in about a beer. It drains in less time. So setup is a non issue. Moving it side to side kinda sucks, but it is what it is. If you don't want that weight on your boat while running, it's better than steel shot bags. But it's less convenient. All I know, is it's about the easiest way to get that much weight, that far back at a fair price too.

Fly High is selling this custom Fat Sac on their site direct as well. But Gantlin has been supporting us so well here, you may as well order through them for the same price. Probably some package deals with the pump.

Good luck!

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot, what is the difference between the V1 and V2 gauges?
V1 is a max deflection setting and V2 is a minimum setting. We opted to send V2 only due to the varying degrees of DIY installer's mechanical expertise. We felt like you can always creep up on max deflection but don't want to run the risk of people getting it wrong and applying more load to the system than we would like to see. Some have done this early on and have bent some bolts. Our tests have not shown the same results. My assumption for now is because we have the deflector angle set to proper spec.

We may soon offer a min max gauge but that design has yet to be tested. For now the V2 gauge is being shipped with new Thrust Vector Wake kits.

Also FYI. If you want to add a bit more deflection, more like the V1 gauge, you can rotate the up stop bolts up to 1.5 rotations where the head of the bolt moves towards the transom. This is only permissible if you've first followed the V2 height gauge adjustment steps per our installation video online. Sorry this is so complicated. We're working to make it easier.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

So I put this video together for my friends on Jetboaters.net. And especially those that are trying to tune their wave with the Jetboatpilot Thrust Vector Wake.

You are going to see multiple ballast configurations and running speeds. The most common being 20-25mph tubing speeds, 17-19mph wakeboard speeds and 10-12mph surf speeds.

I did include GPS telemetry from the GoPro Hero 7 Black. This is an accurate representation of the Yamaha 242LS using stock throttles.

Results will vary greatly with people placement, moving ballast, and especially getting weight on the surf side to list the boat. I may even look at lowering my Thrust Vector Wakes for additional deflection.

Last edited:

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

So I put this video together for my friends on Jetboaters.net. And especially those that are trying to tune their wave with the Jetboatpilot Thrust Vector Wake.

You are going to see multiple ballast configurations and running speeds. The most common being 20-25mph tubing speeds, 17-19mph wakeboard speeds and 10-12mph surf speeds.

I did include GPS telemetry from the GoPro Hero 7 Black. This is an accurate representation of the Yamaha 242LS using stock throttles.

Results will vary greatly with people placement, moving ballast, and especially getting weight not he surf side to list the boat. I may even look at lowering my Thrust Vector Wakes for additional deflection.
Looks great. We'll be sending you a new jetwash deflector soon and you can reshoot. The 24 footers are going to be getting a wider deflector because of the ladder sitting so far out from the jet pumps. The design you have now tested well with our first deflectors but now that we've made the change the 24 footers need a bit wider jetwash deflector. We've been beta testing and its looking really good. We'll have more data later this week.

bolivas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The other thing is the spray at tubing/wakeboarding speeds...
WTH? isn't that what was supposed to be the main feature/benefit of this system?
In this context, adjusting the deflectors will effect the list/roll, too, due to "trim effect" of the deflectors (pointing more down = pushing the stern up).
@swatski Agreed! I am/was just about to pull the trigger on the TVW, but now I'm not so sure...... We don't surf (yet anyways). We mainly wake board and tube so I am mainly looking for something to clean up the spray and extend and enhance the wake near 18 mph... Back to to a holding/research pattern ....

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@swatski Agreed! I am/was just about to pull the trigger on the TVW, but now I'm not so sure...... We don't surf (yet anyways). We mainly wake board and tube so I am mainly looking for something to clean up the spray and extend and enhance the wake near 18 mph... Back to to a holding/research pattern ....
Yep, I like the advertised capabilities for cleaning up spray, but seems to be a bit in beta. I'm hoping for a relaunch next spring of a stable product.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think JBP jumped the gun on this one. This has turned into one long beta test.
Hopefully they do get all the wrinkles out soon.
While their other products have been proven. (I love my lateral thrusters),
This one seems like its not measuring up to the first expectations

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You can’t see it in my video as the jet wash up close hides it. But spray at tube and board distance is nearly gone. My tubers this weekend had no complaints at all.

I am going to shoot more footage from he tube and from the wakeboard as the ride is really good. I also wanted to shoot a video with my GoPro under the swimdeck showing at what speed the thrust vectors come up. Honestly, there is nothing beating that GPS telemetry from the GoPro. It was accurate, and I found out my speedo is pretty accurate too. I need to get my Simrad to display speed larger for tow sports.

Good luck!

Last edited:

bolivas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You can’t see it in my video as the jet wash up close hides it. But spray at tube and board speeds is nearly gone. My tubers this weekend had no complaints at all.

I am going to shoot more footage from he tube and from the wakeboard as the ride is really good. I also wanted to shoot a video with my GoPro under the swimdeck showing at what speed the thrust vectors come up. Honestly, there is nothing beating that GPS telemetry front he GoPro. It was accurate, and I found out my speedo is pretty accurate too. I need to get my Simrad to display speed larger for tow sports.

Good luck!
Thank you @biffdotorg for the clarification! I can't wait to see the next video.

mrtrav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I had the modified deflector installed and with the v2 gauge it was slightly above the 2018 marking. We went with that the last few trips and it seemed to work out ok as far as high speed steering goes. There was still a bit of spray on the surfers at 10ish miles an hour. That being said we are happy with the shape of the wake at surf speeds when combined with the gantlin FatSac.

I just lowered it down to the 2018 marking and will be taking it out this weekend to compare the results. I will likely lower them down further to the 2019 setting after this weekend to get the full comparison.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looks great. We'll be sending you a new jetwash deflector soon and you can reshoot. The 24 footers are going to be getting a wider deflector because of the ladder sitting so far out from the jet pumps. The design you have now tested well with our first deflectors but now that we've made the change the 24 footers need a bit wider jetwash deflector. We've been beta testing and its looking really good. We'll have more data later this week.
This will be interesting to see, as we are still trying to clean up our wave. I posted this video in another thread from yesterday. The TV Wakes are adding volume and cleaning the wave, there is some room for improvement. And the dirty water on top may just be able to be cleaned up with a different ladder deflector. Additional surf side ballast was key, but we are going to do another 400 this weekend!! We pulled out big kids out of the bow and the volume went up, but the pocket got short. (as expected)

The setup yesterday: 2011 242LS, TV-Wakes, With Ladder Deflector installed. 400lb Ballast in the locker and 850lb Custom bag on the swimdeck. 3- adults (200-250lbs each) on the port surf side. 135lb driver and 160lb surfer. 235lb surfer was me, and I did go ropeless, just missed in this edit.

Our light surfer could have gone ropeless all day. He was able to work the wave and adjust his foot position on the fly. He tried many to find the sweetspot. A person really appreciates skill when you try it yourself. And yes, he had no issues taking off from the swimdeck without getting wet!!

Scott Havell

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I had the modified deflector installed and with the v2 gauge it was slightly above the 2018 marking. We went with that the last few trips and it seemed to work out ok as far as high speed steering goes. There was still a bit of spray on the surfers at 10ish miles an hour. That being said we are happy with the shape of the wake at surf speeds when combined with the gantlin FatSac.

I just lowered it down to the 2018 marking and will be taking it out this weekend to compare the results. I will likely lower them down further to the 2019 setting after this weekend to get the full comparison.
How were the results when lowering to the 2018 marking on the V2 gauge?
Are you thinking that if it is set at the 2018 or lower the spray is lessened and wake is bigger? Or what would the expected results be of lowering or raising the deflector?

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would strongly caution anyone attempting to lower the settings below the prescribed gauge setting on the V1 gauge. If you're running the V2 gauge it is permissible to adjust downward deflection up to 1.5 rotations of the bolt head (where the bolt head moves towards the transom). This basically gets you back to the V1 height gauge setting.

Anything lower than that and you potentially run the risk of over stressing the bolts, which we've seen bent before. This does not happen often but when it does they have to be replaced.

@biffdotorg the new wider 24 footer deflector will make the top shelf area of the surf wave much cleaner and will make for more push. We're still testing but will send out as soon as we're confident that the design is perfect.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@biffdotorg the new wider 24 footer deflector will make the top shelf area of the surf wave much cleaner and will make for more push. We're still testing but will send out as soon as we're confident that the design is perfect.
Thanks Will, we will look forward to testing that!

And to everyone else as we search for the perfect wave.... THIS IS STUPID FUN, no matter how much we may cry about testing, and tuning, there is no such thing as a wave that is not fun. It's a serious hoot.

I had to remind myself that, as I saw someone post a video on facebook today surfing behind an SX with no ballast and fighting the downward pressure of the low rope. They were having a blast!!

So don't take any of this as bitching at a poor product, as it is far from it. It is still way better than stock, and we are all just trying to replicate results more easily. And this is still on top of the excellent steering performance we got "by default"

Good luck everyone.