• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Keel Guard

Hellacool

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How well does this product work? I see a lot of people using them and I see them around me. Is it one of those things that appears to work but in the long run your boat is still going to get beat up from beaching and the guard just delays it or does it really do the job? I boat on a soft bottom lake and beaching looks like the easiest way to go but there are rocks here and there but even without rocks I have beached my old boat once or twice without a guard and the sand is really rough on the gel coat (which I am going to tear up anyway just to install the guard).

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just got mine and am installing it this week. I'll be reading the responses for sure.

That said, from other posts I have seen that the KeelGuard works great and is really cheap insurance. Also, I have not seen any report on any impact to performance.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Worked well on my last boat....haven't put one on the new boat as I'm not ready to beach her yet....
Scratches in that beautiful blue hull you have would keep me up at night.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Hellacool - We've had ours on since early last season and use it all the time.

Yes - you're still going to scratch your boat when beaching. It's an inherently damaging action. Even with nice smooth wet sand your still "sanding" the bottom of your boat. My answer to this has been wax, wax, wax. Even then, if you get under my hull you can still see scratches.... but she's a boat and I bought her too have fun in. Se la vie

What the KeelGuard does is protect your keel, the thin line on the bottom of your boat, from taking any harsh/damaging direct impacts. (Ie: rocks that could severely damage your gelcoat and/or fiberglass)

Hopes this helps and I do highly suggest installing one on your boat. Like @Eric Ballard said, it's cheap insurance.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well worth the small investment. Just follow the install instructions to a t so it will stick on your hull forever.

I beach constantly and it has not worn out. You still need to be careful of big rocks that might hit your gelcoat to the sides of the keelshield.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have Keelguard on my AR240 and one on my Fzs waverunner.
Highly recommended

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've had KeelShield on every boat, just waiting for really hot weather to install the new one. Love that company. I got a no hassle free replacement when I damaged one.
Hot weather is key for good install with those, need to be pliable.

--

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I opted to have a Keelguard installed during my 20hr service last week. With a beach and marina on our lake I figured I would eventually be beaching it and didn't want to lose my mind over scratching up my brand new keel/hull. The black Keel guard is hardly noticeable on my black hull. A great investment IMO.

Hellacool

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Hellacool - We've had ours on since early last season and use it all the time.

Yes - you're still going to scratch your boat when beaching. It's an inherently damaging action. Even with nice smooth wet sand your still "sanding" the bottom of your boat. My answer to this has been wax, wax, wax. Even then, if you get under my hull you can still see scratches.... but she's a boat and I bought her too have fun in. Se la vie

What the KeelGuard does is protect your keel, the thin line on the bottom of your boat, from taking any harsh/damaging direct impacts. (Ie: rocks that could severely damage your gelcoat and/or fiberglass)

Hopes this helps and I do highly suggest installing one on your boat. Like @Eric Ballard said, it's cheap insurance.
That is where I am at right now. Haven't beached yet, still enjoying my "new boat" smell but realize beaching would be so much easier. Since I made that conclusion I looked at ways to mitigate the effects of beaching and the keel guard is it. However I do have scratches already from the hard as a rock bow roller so the first scratch is already in the boat.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Its cheap insurance and you only have to pay that premium once. I had one on my 232 and put one on my 242 yesterday. I don't typically intent on beaching, but if I need to nose someone up to "dockless" boat ramp at one of our local reservoirs, then I know if I mis-calculate and bump the shore by accident, then the Keel Guard is also there.

I also figure it can provide some protection in case you accidentally hit a small stick or something else unseen in the water.

As others have said, just follow the instructions to the letter on the install and it'll stay there forever. Also plan to spend some quality time on your back under the trailer.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

albett3

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am a huge fan of these. The first year I had the boat took it up to Lake Winnipesaukee and managed to hit a rock. It took a nice chunk out of the gelcoat. I patched the damage with Marine Tex and put a Keelguard over it. Next year took the boat up to Lake Champlain for a week. This time my friend hit a rock. It took a good piece of the Keelguard off but there was no damage to the hull this time. Best part Keelguard sent me a new one under their warranty - just had to show them the receipt and a picture of the damage. Thankfully no damage since then.