• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Kind of freaky story but cool

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey guys,

When I first signed up on this forum and was shopping, one of the members reached out to me and offered his wisdom and advise. He gave me his number and we talked for what seemed like hours but in reality it was maybe an hour or so. He was so down to earth and I respected that in his voice over the phone. Even though we were total strangers a state across, somehow I could relate with him even though he was much older than I. He also put me in touch with the great folks at Wedowee Marine in Alabama. A year ago some things came up and it just wasn't a good time to get into a boat but today I took a trip to drive the 2 hours to visit Wedowee Marine in person and to take some demo boat rides to see what sticks, ya know.

First boat I wanted to take out was the AR192 so I could see what a 19' foot boat felt like. I was actually pretty amazed at how rapid the acceleration was. It's a nice boat but the bow length is obviously in the short side. I did really like the fact this boat could fit in my garage though so I'm not ruling one out just yet.

Up next I wanted to try the 212X but he didn't have one there but he did has the 212SS. It was beautiful! We took it out on the water and man that boat hauls some major butt and has great midrange. The bow is perfect size for me and my needs. Only thing is I didn't really like but originally thought I'd love was the co-captians chair. It sits too high and is too close to the console area forcing my legs in an awkward position. It would be better if it reclined. If only it were the same size and height as the captians chair too. I think the J-seating is actually better even though I originally thought two captains chairs would be nicer.

So what is the freaky part you're wondering?

Remember that awesome guy I was speaking about earlier who reached out to me and put me in touch with a nice dealership? Well unfortunately he is no longer with us but as I walked out to the boat gas dock waiting for the 212SS to pull around, in comes the ole mans boat packed full with a happy family and friends! It was like Mikey was laughing about it too as we never really got to meet but somehow this place linked us. RIP MikeyL, gone but not forgotten....(zoom in on the image and read the boat name). I mean, what are the odds lol?

Last edited:

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Wow!!! That made the hair on my neck stand up!:winkingthumbsup"

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That's awesome....where's Theresa caputo when you need her.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
:cool:Yea it was kind of crazy . I was standing there sweating like a pig over a fire since it's so hot. I really wished I could have jumped in the water. Waiting for the demo ride seemed like it was taking forever it was so damn hot lol. Then around the corner I spotted this 242 creeping in and just kind of smirked when I saw the name on the boat. Maybe this time I'll have better news for a new boat. I left there after filling out an app for a 2016 blue and black 212X. We'll see....

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like a fun day of shopping to me. Beats following the wife around the shopping mall ;) Good luck with the purchase, hope it all works out for you.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Oh I almost forgot to mention the sound. These boats are not anywhere near as loud as I was expecting based off comments, reviews and videos. I think camera mics make them seem louder than they are or something ...or maybe the tone of them wasn't an issue for me. The 192 supercharged boat seemed louder to me than two 1.8L in the 212SS but neither was annoying or overbearing IMO. I grew up around loud outboards and those scream by comparison.

Last edited:

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's a great story and Mikey L was a legend. Definitely freaky

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Oh I almost forgot to mention the sound. These boats are not anywhere near as loud as I was expecting based off comments, reviews and videos. I think camera mics make them seem louder than they are or something ...or maybe the tone of them wasn't an issue for me. The 192 supercharged boat seemed louder to me than two 1.8L in the 212SS but neither was annoying or overbearing IMO. I grew up around loud outboards and those scream by comparison.
It was the same for me when we first drove our boat. Everything I read or heard was jet boats were LOUD. Before starting up warned my wife that sound level might be 1 negative. We got going and she said, don't know what you were worried about, our old boat (1987 4 winns I/o) was a lot louder than this. Haven't thought of sound level as a factor since.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just a few sentences into your story I knew you were talking about Mikey as that's just the kind of guy he was. Glad to hear his family is enjoying his boat as that would sure make Mikey happy. Good luck with your buying decission @haknslash.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@haknslash You write so beautifully about it, maybe someone has a contact for Mikey's family to send them a link.
It is amazing how he is remembered here, I'm sure they would be happy to know.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Evildwarf

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thanks for sharing your story, and good luck with the boat shopping.
We purchased both our Yamahas through Wedowee Marine and had a good experience both times.

never met Uncle Mikey in person but he was an influential member of this community...great to know he is still on the water!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just a few sentences into your story I knew you were talking about Mikey as that's just the kind of guy he was. Glad to hear his family is enjoying his boat as that would sure make Mikey happy. Good luck with your buying decission @haknslash.
The thing is, I don't think that is his family but I'm sure he was happy seeing them on it regardless. It was packed full....even with kids on the swim platform. When it pulled by the dock I told Chad, the salesman I was dealing with at Wedowee, "Hey, I know that boat". Chad then told me they b0ught the boat from Georgia (I guess around when Mikey bought the red 242 E-series). So that makes it even more freaky some random family shows up at the same time I'm there on one of his previous boats. If I recall, I think Mikey had several 242's or maybe that is someone else I'm thinking of.