• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lake Texoma - Pirate Ship

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
To all the Lake Texoma folks that may not be aware, there is a really cool pirate ship on Lake Texoma. It is docked at Grandpappy Point. If you have kids with you, they will love going to check it out. We drove over last year to see it. We parked the boat in one of their courtesy slips. Walked over to the pirate ship and did a walk-through tour of the Compass Rose. It was not much money to tour it. I forget exactly, but around $5 per person to tour it. The tour lasted about 20 minutes and was well worth the money. You walk and crawl all over the boat. Not to mention, the money to tour the boat helps to support the couple that bought the boat and has restored the boat to near-pristine condition.

They have a website with all the details here: http://www.sailcompassrose.com/

Again, just wanted to pass the word. I know @PEARCE , @jawsf16 , @BlacklimitedS , and @Bruce all have kids and they might enjoy it. SORRY if I am forgetting some Texoma folks with kids!!

That might be a photoshoped picture, but the boat in the picture is exactly what it looks like! Seeing the boat in person is super cool. I was impressed.

I didn't realize that with these types of boats, they actually have a LOT of weights that they strategically place in the bottom of the boat, and in various places, to make it more stable on the water.

Very cool, I hope she is there next time we visit Texoma!

There is a 3 day weekend coming up...... :thumbsup: see you there?

That might be a photoshoped picture, but the boat in the picture is exactly what it looks like! Seeing the boat in person is super cool. I was impressed.

I didn't realize that with these types of boats, they actually have a LOT of weights that they strategically place in the bottom of the boat, and in various places, to make it more stable on the water.
They call them ballast stones. They are usually round. The old ships were top heavy with all the heavy wood masts, rigging and sails. A good wind could tip them over. The ballast stones are usually what wreck divers look for when searching for old wrecks as the timbers are either remnants or usually long gone leaving a large pile of these round ballast stones behind as a sort of grave marker.

This is pretty cool! Do you have to have kids (younger kids) to go on this tour? I might like doing it with our group! It would be a good cruise from wherever we stayed down to Grandpappy! But I am afraid I will not be on Texoma on the upcoming holiday...but I will be on this lake in the near future, with the Blue Yonder!
LakePowellHouseboatRentalsMedia88-800x600.jpg images-1.jpeg friberg-extras-16-e110a6aa163e3ccae820f1f91d5c2ec0a37f96cbb4066780d25ac92e8b2c1973.jpg

images.jpeg
Can we do the pirate ship next year on Texoma?

Time for me to be honest Mel:

I had driven by the Compass Rose two times with no kids and wanted to go tour it. Then, the third time, we had kids aboard. That was my excuse to go tour it! I am glad we did. Loving boats as much as I do, touring the Compass Rose was pretty darn cool. I had just as much fun and enjoyed it just as much as the kids did. For whatever reason the tour guide let the kids play with the cannon, but didn't offer for me to play with the cannon too!! Can you believe that?

They also have dinner cruises, etc. Not just tours at the dock.

PS - I don't have to wish you a good time at Powell, because I know you will - but, still - have a GREAT time!

You guys just don't know how much I wish you were going to be out at Powell with me! I can imagine a 5 or 10 boat abreast run 50 miles down the lake! btw, I want to play with the cannon too! lol

You guys just don't know how much I wish you were going to be out at Powell with me! I can imagine a 5 or 10 boat abreast run 50 miles down the lake! btw, I want to play with the cannon too! lol
Rest assured, I would LOVE to go to Lake Powell!! There is no way I could get the 5th wheel and boat there though. So, we would just have to find a place to stay.

Well, the Wahweap marina and resort has a nice hotel right at the lake and marina. But there is every range of accommodation in Page from motel 6 to better. The resort is nice and a little more pricy but probably worth it being right there. They have a shuttle to the dock from the resort and back...and golf cart service to your slip! It is a nice place. Clara at one time thought we should drive the motorhome, and tow the boat behind the truck...and take both! OMG!
http://www.lakepowell.com
scenic-lpr2.jpg

It would be much more economical to rent a vehicle there if you really needed to.

It would I am sure. We are renting a small SUV too for the duration. Just having a car will make it easier. Truth be told, taking the boat isn't necessary and I could rent one. But I can't go to Powell without my boat. Lame huh?

NOOOO way could I go to Powell without my boat. I don't know the lake to begin with, and then not completely know the boat I'm operating either....no way...

Again, just wanted to pass the word. I know @PEARCE , @jawsf16 , @BlacklimitedS , and @Bruce all have kids and they might enjoy it. SORRY if I am forgetting some Texoma folks with kids!!
Well I'm an empty-nester, but it still looks cool to me! :D
I didn't know that was up at Texoma. I'll be checking it out next time. Thanks for passing along the info :winkingthumbsup"

Well I'm an empty-nester, but it still looks cool to me! :D
I didn't know that was up at Texoma. I'll be checking it out next time. Thanks for passing along the info :winkingthumbsup"
No problem at all! The husband and wife that bought and restored the boat are very nice folks. They have a few hired crew that help out that are really nice also. I am telling you, we climbed all over that boat.

I think a dinner cruise would be fun too.

It actually was docked at Cedar Mills for several years and moved to Grandpappy in the last couple of years. Cool boat for kids of all ages!

They call them ballast stones. They are usually round. The old ships were top heavy with all the heavy wood masts, rigging and sails. A good wind could tip them over. The ballast stones are usually what wreck divers look for when searching for old wrecks as the timbers are either remnants or usually long gone leaving a large pile of these round ballast stones behind as a sort of grave marker.
I was surprised by how many were at the bottom of the Compass Rose. Compensating for all the masts,etc definitely makes sense.

It actually was docked at Cedar Mills for several years and moved to Grandpappy in the last couple of years. Cool boat for kids of all ages!
I didn't realize that. Is Cedar Mills where they restored it?

Back