• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Laser etching

MillsyMO

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
My buddy does laser etching on different things. He made me this tumbler last night for my new boat. I’m going to have him do a couple more for my wife and buddy. I thought you guys might appreciate it. ??

Attachments

• 0DB51116-55E8-4642-BEF6-81AD1C96B225.jpeg
    0DB51116-55E8-4642-BEF6-81AD1C96B225.jpeg
    994.5 KB · Views: 63
My other buddy does powder coating so I had him powder my new wake tower rack. It almost glows in the dark. Lol

Attachments

• 1D6B7BAF-0A6E-4DB8-9A25-82792F236FA1.jpeg
    1D6B7BAF-0A6E-4DB8-9A25-82792F236FA1.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 64
I might actually pay for that. I don’t care for most of the Yamaha logo stuff out there. It is mostly motorcycles, and even the watercraft is mostly waverunners. The few boat thing are ugly. Maybe link up with @Julian or @Murf'n'surf about Jetboaters.net logo stuff.

My buddy does laser etching on different things. He made me this tumbler last night for my new boat. I’m going to have him do a couple more for my wife and buddy. I thought you guys might appreciate it. ??

I might actually pay for that. I don’t care for most of the Yamaha logo stuff out there. It is mostly motorcycles, and even the watercraft is mostly waverunners. The few boat thing are ugly. Maybe link up with @Julian or @Murf'n'surf about Jetboaters.net logo stuff.
@MillsyMO nice....but is copyright infringement and Yamaha is a company that tends to go after companies doing this, so I'd be careful.

@MillsyMO nice....but is copyright infringement and Yamaha is a company that tends to go after companies doing this, so I'd be careful.

Is there a way to get around this by using a supposed "customer supplied image"...? If the maker isn't retailing them with Yamaha's logo, but is instead engraving "customer supplied images" onto his cups, would the maker still be liable? I'm very curious about this; lots of gray area for sure.

Is there a way to get around this by using a supposed "customer supplied image"...? If the maker isn't retailing them with Yamaha's logo, but is instead engraving "customer supplied images" onto his cups, would the maker still be liable? I'm very curious about this; lots of gray area for sure.
I’ve ran into this in the past with vendors online. Anytime I supplied them with an image like the Harley bar and shield, they refused to print it for me unless I could provide them with proof of licensing. My buddy will do anything you want bc he’s not a business so the chances are slim to none that anyone will care and if they did happen to care they’d just send him a cease and desist letter. He does it for a hobby in his spare time not as his primary source of income.

My brother's business sues companies that produce their copyrighted material on demand for other companies. The entire chain is responsible for counterfeiting. They've won two suits already. Counterfeiting is bottom feeding at its worst. China is the worst offender, but plenty of American companies do it, and many individuals.

That looks awesome. I'm trying to figure this out myself, my wife got one of those vinyl machines and I already have a powdercoating setup. Templates are tricky, laser sounds easier LOL.

PS, if you're having more made - there is a different motorsports logo.

What I like about having my own stuff made rather than buying generic branded items is all my stuff is unique and designed by me.

That looks awesome. I'm trying to figure this out myself, my wife got one of those vinyl machines and I already have a powdercoating setup. Templates are tricky, laser sounds easier LOL.
Here is how my wife does it. She cuts the negative image on the vinyl cutter with thicker vinyl. Applies it to a stainless cup and then throws it in our sandblast cabinet. She blasts the positive and it comes out looking etched by a laser. Peel off the vinyl and it's done.

She can do a cup that is powder coated, but it's a pain in the butt. Those should be done with a laser for sure.

She is very careful about what she does as gifts, and what someone buys. As nothing with a logo is sold. This is a hobby, not a way of life that would be ruined by a copyright infringement.

This cup I bought on Amazon powder coated lime green. I send him what I want on the cup and he photo shops it to make it black and white. His laser burns the powder off the cup revealing the stainless underneath. He can also take a stainless cup, spray something on it that looks like paint and his laser burns it onto the cup and washes the excess off leaving behind only where the laser burnt it. It’s pretty cool all the stuff he can do with it. My boat has black raised lettering that says YAMAHA, he’s going to cut me new ones out of lime green plexiglass to replace them.

Attachments

• B725F6CD-DD3A-468F-A1E0-F313ED3F1C80.jpeg
    B725F6CD-DD3A-468F-A1E0-F313ED3F1C80.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 21

Not trying to be that guy but just as an FYI for the future, the logo you used on that cup is actually the Yamaha Music division logo. The Yamaha Motor logo used for boats, atvs, motorcycles, jet skis, etc is different in that the tips touch the edge of the circle. Again, maybe you don't care but in case you do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

1652111892172.png

Not trying to be that guy but just as an FYI for the future, the logo you used on that cup is actually the Yamaha Music division logo. The Yamaha Motor logo used for boats, atvs, motorcycles, jet skis, etc is different in that the tips touch the edge of the circle. Again, maybe you don't care but in case you do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

View attachment 177497
??? No, I had no idea. That’s hilarious and will make for a good conversation piece.

All legal things, and different division logo aside it looks great. Personally if you like it and your not selling it, why not have fun and enjoy.

Back