• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Group Buy LECTROTAB – Yamaha Group Buy - Now Through Oct 2020!

TXnewBoater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have the 242x E series with wake booster. Will trim tabs take away from the wake features? Also, I don’t know anything about boat construction, but should I be concerned about drilling holes in my boat? How does water not get in?

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have read that if deployed, trim tabs totally mess up the wake. However, with adjustable tabs, you can eliminate that issue. As far as leaking, if you use the 3M Marine Adhesive and Sealant 5200, you will not have any issues with leaks!

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have read that if deployed, trim tabs totally mess up the wake. However, with adjustable tabs, you can eliminate that issue. As far as leaking, if you use the 3M Marine Adhesive and Sealant 5200, you will not have any issues with leaks!

Yup. 3M 5200 will seal the holes. (I wasn't thrilled with drilling that many holes in my boat either.)

Alternatively, you could do a "Three Stooges" and drill another hole to let the water back out. :)

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ordered mine today - count was around 38.
FYI - Some clarifications on the Auto vs. Manual (I went with manual given my daughters wedding is this Saturday - The reception ends exactly when our region covid shut down starts- close call- and my other daughters wedding is in April so conserving funds-LOL)
Auto is ideal if you want to maintain level trim - and adjust for uneven loads particularly side to side - without adjusting as your crew/guests move around the boat, and/or you have operators less familiar with trim tabs. If your primary goal is to have better performance in rough water, manual is fine, as in rougher seas, it is best to take manual control. The price deal on the Auto at the 55% discount however does make the auto feature very attractive. If you are on the fence, (And don't have two weddings to pay for in the next 6 months), then the auto would be a good purchase, and can easily be switched to manual when you prefer to take control.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My AR240 has more mods than I'd care to admit...lol.

The Lectrotabs are my number ONE favorite mod, hands down.

I use them all the time. MCL1 controller. They are simply amazing and if you are in a bigger body of water, or in the ocean, I would consider those to be a must have. Here in NJ we can run 20+mph in the usual 1-2' sea with (almost) no pounding. It makes such a profound difference it's not even funny.
This video shows us running last weekend with the tabs fully deployed, with the tabs retracted I could not hold the camera and I would have to slow down to hull speeds to make Kate (wife) comfortable. She would not be boating with me if it was not for those tabs. No joke.

The close second favorite mod for those trips is @Ridesteady, basically a fly-by-wire conversion of sorts.
Cobra EZ Locks are a must for boats with plugs w/dogs. Saved my butt this year for the first time, but that's for another thread!

--

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@swatski - thanks for sharing the video - I have been on Raritan Bay many times but with both smaller and much larger/heavier boats than our Yamaha’s - I remember the pounding well in the smaller boat. I remember other treads where you said you thought the tabs were one of the best upgrades. We currently place the @Ridesteady as our current “best” upgrade so it will be interesting to see if the trim tabs become the highest ranked upgrade or not. We primarily got them for trips to LOTO

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@PeterB We make very good use of the tabs while boating Lake Hopatcong here, as well. Just like LOTO, it can be rough on windy days and the tabs really help smooth the ride.

Personally, I like manual controls albeit the autos have manual option, too. There are times when too much tab can be a bad thing, with our boats it is fairly easy to bury the bow in following seas, or pull the "sub move" crossing a big wake - thinking Staten Island ferry or one of those 50' party cruisers flying across LOTO, lol.

--

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@swatski - can’t wait to run with the tabs! A lot of years ago my dad and I went out on Lake Hopatkong in a 14’ aluminum semi-vee with a Sears outboard- wow that lake gets chopped up! If the tabs smooth that out - granted our boats are a lot more forgiving than that little aluminum- We will be happy! Appreciate all the feedback on the tabs!
Last day to order for anyone on the fence or just procrastinating! Though I am sure there will be other promotions through this forum - Russ mentioned that our forum has been a significant source of sales- something we should keep in mind if there are other common upgrades we would all be interested in getting a deal on - incentive for manufacturers!

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

This video shows us running last weekend with the tabs fully deployed, with the tabs retracted I could not hold the camera and I would have to slow down to hull speeds to make Kate (wife) comfortable. She would not be boating with me if it was not for those tabs. No joke.

--
X2 on our favorite mod. When people ask me what the secret is to staying 30+ years married and boating...I respond "Trim Tabs". ;)

Streetcop

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
New guy here but wanted to say thanks for putting this together. We sold our Sea Doo Challenger in August to upgrade to a 252 FSH which we have ordered. This group buy was too good to pass up so we ordered a set for the boat we don't have yet, this will be the first mod for it. Russ was great and said I was number 40 in the group buy.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski - can’t wait to run with the tabs! A lot of years ago my dad and I went out on Lake Hopatkong in a 14’ aluminum semi-vee with a Sears outboard- wow that lake gets chopped up! If the tabs smooth that out - granted our boats are a lot more forgiving than that little aluminum- We will be happy! Appreciate all the feedback on the tabs!
Last day to order for anyone on the fence or just procrastinating! Though I am sure there will be other promotions through this forum - Russ mentioned that our forum has been a significant source of sales- something we should keep in mind if there are other common upgrades we would all be interested in getting a deal on - incentive for manufacturers!
Another advantage of those tabs is in lowering the planning speed. Not that our boats need any improvement in that area as they jump out of the hole instantaneously but being able to ride on plane at a very low speed can be very nice sometimes. If you lost and engine, you can run on plane with the tabs down, at least if your pumps are as well tuned as mine are.
And of course, side-to-side adjustments runnign w/ uneven load. Also, if you lost steering, which can happen in these boats as steering linkage can break, you just turn with the tabs.

My approach to install was: take your time, measure everything five times, if you have a piece of FRP from some project like speaker cutout use those to train the drill and double check the screws are perfect size, use fresh 5200 to embed them.

It's a major improvement to boating experience in rough water.

--

bttally

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
For those of you with 19' boats, what size tabs did you end up with? Russ said some were going with a smaller or shallower tab on the 190/195 boats because of the limited space. I think I am going to have to move my transponder to make room, but it doesn't read after 5mph anyway where it is now.
Thanks

Bogus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

I use them all the time. MCL1 controller. They are simply amazing and if you are in a bigger body of water, or in the ocean, I would consider those to be a must have. Here in NJ we can run 20+mph in the usual 1-2' sea with (almost) no pounding. It makes such a profound difference it's not even funny.

The close second favorite mod for those trips is @Ridesteady, basically a fly-by-wire conversion of sorts.
Cobra EZ Locks are a must for boats with plugs w/dogs. Saved my butt this year for the first time, but that's for another thread!

--
Can you please give the advice on the size of tabs and Electronics? I have 242x e 2017. If you were setting them right now will you make any changes in your curret set up?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can you please give the advice on the size of tabs and Electronics? I have 242x e 2017. If you were setting them right now will you make any changes in your curret set up?
That is the best we came up with for 240/242 (it works GREAT on my boat):
1. 16"x9" tabs span x chord (span is the width port to starboard, chord is the distance from transom to trailing edge of the tab)
2. short 10" actuators with 1.5" stroke
3. 6" attachment point (in the center of the tab's span)

Here are the details, and a rationale, in post #13:

Post #85 has some installation notes:

--

Bogus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That is the best we came up with for 240/242 (it works GREAT on my boat):
1. 16"x9" tabs span x chord (span is the width port to starboard, chord is the distance from transom to trailing edge of the tab)
2. short 10" actuators with 1.5" stroke
3. 6" attachment point (in the center of the tab's span)

Here are the details, and a rationale, in post #13:

Post #85 has some installation notes:

--
Thank you

vesder21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just curious if any of you ordered for a 210 FSH? if so please let me know so that we can compare note on where to install as I've seen photos of them installed two different ways:

- higher up to just below the swim platform
- lower down

I'm not sure if it's because of the model year and different in hull design so would love to hear what you guys are planning on doing.