• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Left the boat at the dock, came back this morning and it was filled with water barely afloat. No issue with the plug.

Avan0304

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Left the boat at the dock, came back this morning and it was filled with water barely afloat. No issue with the plug. Any ideas?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Was the water over the engines?
Have you started them yet? If not, don't even try because it could ruin them without taking spark plugs out first

Fresh or salt water?
How long have you owned the boat?
Where are you at?
A jetski shop is probably going to jelp you better than a boat dealer

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Issue #1 you have a leak somewhere.
Before attempting to restart engines remove the spark plugs and crank. If water shoots out of the spark plug holes you got water in the engine and you can follow the process to clean it up. (keep cranking until water no longer shoots out, then change oil, then start it and drive it like you stole it for an hour, so it all warms up and the water evaporates)

Issue #2 You don't have a bilge float and bilge alarm. You needed one. Best time to install would have been yesterday. Second best time is right now.

Last edited:

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Once you get her out of the water, if you dont know where the water came in at......toss the hose in the bilge and fill her up! The leak will appear...

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Do you have the original scupper valve?
I don't get this...even if the valve was letting water into the scupper tube of the boat, the valve is well below the deck of my boat and couldn't travel back uphill and fill the boat. I don't see how water could get that far and fill the deck area.

I would think there might be a leak around the jetpump housing where water could fill the bilge area and lower the center of gravity of the boat and continue to take on water. At that point a leaky scupper would be an issue too.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I don't get this...even if the valve was letting water into the scupper tube of the boat, the valve is well below the deck of my boat and couldn't travel back uphill and fill the boat. I don't see how water could get that far and fill the deck area.

I would think there might be a leak around the jetpump housing where water could fill the bilge area and lower the center of gravity of the boat and continue to take on water. At that point a leaky scupper would be an issue too.
Not the scupper valve. On the older boats, the scupper hole is at or below water level. When on plane, it’s out of the water. The actual plastic fitting cracks and the thru hull fitting leaks directly to the bilge. So, it’s not leaking into the hose and thru to the deck per se. (if that makes sense)

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yep. As long as the hole (cracked scupper) is under the waterline like most of the older boat scuppers, the boat will sink until the built-in foam stops it from fully going under.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Left the boat at the dock, came back this morning and it was filled with water barely afloat. No issue with the plug. Any ideas?
Was your bilge pump on?

If it was you have a major leak....like a cracked scupper as mentioned above.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Not the scupper valve. On the older boats, the scupper hole is at or below water level. When on plane, it’s out of the water. The actual plastic fitting cracks and the thru hull fitting leaks directly to the bilge. So, it’s not leaking into the hose and thru to the deck per se. (if that makes sense)
Ah, I get it now, thanks for the info.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Avan0304 Was your bilge pump on?? If so, did it drain the battery?

Yellowbird911

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Last week my new to me SX210 was floating on my buddies dock. The scupper valve with out warning just failed by breaking between the outer flange and the inner section of the tube. Thankfully my buddy was on his dock and heard the bilge pump throwing water out. By the time he pulled his boat off the lift and pushed mine onto the lift water was at the bottom of the engines. So much water the forward holds were full. It filled so fast if he hadn't been there it would have sunk. I'm sure there is a good reason but having a 2 inch PLASTIC scupper valve below the water line is silly. Now has a stainless valve and not a particularly fun job to replace.

Last edited:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Excellent outcome considering the alternative!

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Last week my new to me SX210 was floating on my buddies dock. The scupper valve with out warning just failed by breaking between the outer flange and the inner section of the tube. Thankfully my buddy was on his dock and heard the bilge pump throwing water out. By the time he pulled his boat off the lift and pushed mine onto the lift water was at the bottom of the engines. So much water the forward holds were full. It filled so fast if he hadn't been there it would have sunk. I'm sure there is a good reason but having a 2 inch PLASTIC scupper valve below the water line is silly. Now has a stainless valve and not a particularly fun job to replace.
I had a very similar experience.

Yellowbird911

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If I ever buy another boat with a below water level plastic scupper valve it will get replaced immediately. Lesson learned.