• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lets change the law - Florida Boat Lemon Laws

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Hey everyone,

I have been dealing with Yamaha for 3 years trying to get my engine issues resolved and have a current legal battle brewing. For my next boats, and for others I really hope we can get some sort of Lemon Law enacted for boats in the state of the Florida. I have lemoned a car in FL before and it is a very straight forward process you can do on your own, there is no reason boats shouldn't be covered as well. The only problem is I don't know how to go about this. Do I write a senator, a congressman, the Florida AG? Start a petition?

What could everyone else do to help push such a change?

Strande this doesn't pertain to boats. My suggestion is to get an attorney involved. They would know the best way to proceed.

Found this as you should be protected under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Good luck!

Strande this doesn't pertain to boats. My suggestion is to get an attorney involved. They would know the best way to proceed.

Found this as you should be protected under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Good luck!

Yeah it is weird boats are excluded.

I have my lawsuit under Magnuson-Moss, luckily it covers us. However finding a lawyer for this can be difficult and there is no state process to make life easier. The state lemon-law is significantly easier to use compared to the federal law.

At least you have that Act. Assuming you have a lawyer (for you lawsuit), can they suggest anyone/anything?

Didn't even think of asking them lol - a bit too obvious.

If you could get the RV and boat lemon law you'd have more voters backing you. Of course business have the lobbyist so saying it's a uphill battle would be a understatement. But calling your congressman would be a start. Florida's congressional sessions are so short it hard to get a bill to the floor.

You need to hire a highly qualified legal professional in your case. Lawyers know the law better than anyone and know how to use it properly. If you write a petition, you will most likely get a denial. A consultation with a lawyer will help you identify all the problems and solve them. I had a similar case where I was sold illegal medications. I didn't know where to go for help because these people were very influential. I got advice from a good lawyer, who accompanied me through the legal process from start to finish. Before the trial began, I read the article Prescription and Medication Counterfeiting Defense | JD Supra. It helped me to determine my rights in this situation and to be able to defend them correctly.

Start with your local representatives—house and senate. They make the laws. Next step is to start a political organization supporting lemon laws for boats. Grass roots efforts will be probably be needed to go up against industry lobbies. Good luck!

Start with your local representatives—house and senate. They make the laws. Next step is to start a political organization supporting lemon laws for boats. Grass roots efforts will be probably be needed to go up against industry lobbies. Good luck!

I like this approach. I would think a local rep would see the need for making auto lemon laws congruent with boating and rvs. California’s lemon law is pretty straight forward and gives the manufacturers ample time to address the problem, but at the same time the manufacturers have to make it right or it gets bought back by the manufacturer.

Back