• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Major Trailer Repairs

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ATT00010.jpg
This was the Trailer before i examined it as you can see it looks ok

Only a few weeks before joining this website i popped into the Yamaha main agent to collect some documents and while i was there i noticed 2 x SX 230s parked on the front which looked a little strange so i decided to take a closer look and to my amazement both had the front of the trailers snapped and were completely detached on one side, After speaking to the parts manager he informed me that this had happened while being towed and was not uncommon, That got me thinking so when i got back i took a very close inspection of my trailer only to find cracks and corrosion damage in the very same places as the ones in the agents car park.

Ok time to do something about this as it appears to be a fault on older trailers, The very next day after considering my options and very close examination i set about carrying out major structural repairs by cutting off the metal from the first support nearest to the winch post all the way to the first cross member under the bow, Once removed i could see the amount of corrosion inside the metal channel of the trailer these go rotten from the inside out and consequently it's often not noticed until it's to late.

I went to a local steel stockist and found some steel section which perfectly fitted inside my original trailer frame with a little persuasion so after cleaning all the relevant parts and linishing the surfaces to be welded i set about rebuilding it, I didn't like the bend that the original trailer had in the front arms as this was where the corrosion had occurred so i changed the design a little and after a full days work welding and fabricating some strengthening supports the job was finished.

I would suggest that a closer inspection of these trailers is taken as these boats that were parked in Yamaha were 08 models and mine is an 06, You can just imagine the extent of the damage if one of these came adrift while being towed, It's not easy to spot on Black trailers and not something you go around looking for, I have taken some photos and i will try to put them on here but I'm still learning to navigate my way around here, Please go and check it only takes a minute and can save an awful lot of trouble, This was a non galvanized MFI Trailer which came supplied with the Boat and it wasn't until i went poking around with a screwdriver that the cracks appeared, The fenders have been removed because I'm making new ones from Checker plate so take care,Good Luck

#Pictures added by Bruce

ATT00023.jpg ATT00022.jpg ATT00021.jpg ATT00020.jpg ATT00018.jpg ATT00016.jpg ATT00014.jpg ATT00012.jpg ATT00010.jpg ATT00008.jpg

Last edited:

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Man scary !!!! I can't see your pics !!

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi
I don't understand why you cant see my pics i have spend ages trying to open an Album and also posting Pics on here and i really don't understand why they wont appear, Do me a favor and go to the reverse gate cable information that Julian posted and see if my cable pics came out on that because your the first person that has mentioned this any advice on uploading onto this site would be gratefully accepted i spend 2 hours yesterday trying to start an album as i have many useful Pics regarding the jet boats, Going back to the trailer post yes it is scary and i hose down the trailer and elevate the front to drain boat and trailer every time i use it, Good Luck.

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is what I see image.jpg

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Same thing , maybe it's because I'm on my phone ?image.jpg

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm still trying now but with the same results, it just refuses to even let me open the media section, I will keep trying and ask Julian if all else fails, If you want the Pics send me your email and i will mail them to you gac4@live.co.uk

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
None of your pictures on any of the post are showing up

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just sent them by email by means of reply to the email you sent to me!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce I'm at an all day meeting...do you have a minute to look at the image issue here?
I emailed with Geoff. I believe he will upload them in the morning. It is late over there.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here is a picture of my galvanized MFI trailer for comparison. I believe that your trailer is from a different manufacturer?

SX2300001.jpg

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce , if you look at the next to the last pic, I think that is a painted MFI trailer (minus the fenders). If I am reading this correctly, he cut the first third off the trailer and rebuilt it as shown in the middle pics?

Addicted

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Your repair looks great, but what does the rest of your trailer look like? If the front was rusting that bad, it seems as though the entire frame would be doing the same?

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your repair looks great, but what does the rest of your trailer look like? If the front was rusting that bad, it seems as though the entire frame would be doing the same?
Hi

The rest is fine i actually welded new wider spring hangers as i had a spring that was broken i fitted heavy duty wider springs as i cant get the same springs over here as they fitted from new, I went for bigger springs and checked the rest out while doing the job, I even went back to Yamaha and checked the broken trailers they had there and they were fine also just front end problems as i had found with mine, The guys at Yamaha admitted that it's not uncommon, I shall fabricate a new trailer next year when i get the time and design it different using H section Aluminum so no water can get inside, end of another problem then, Everything reflects on the price Yamaha are no different to any other company, Bruce has a good trailer that galvanized one he will have no problems with that but of course from new they are more expensive but worth it i feel, Good Luck

Addicted

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I suspect that means that the design of the trailer causes the tube in the front to pond water, whereas the rear must drain. Glad you spotted it before disaster!

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I suspect that means that the design of the trailer causes the tube in the front to pond water, whereas the rear must drain. Glad you spotted it before disaster!

Yes it would appear that way, I must admit I'm lucky i don't have to take the Boat on the road to launch it i only have to go 100 meters as i keep at the Marina in the big sheds there, It's cleaned thoroughly and the trailer is always hosed down but just a bad design i feel, I've had many Boats over the years and have needed to change springs and bearings many times but never had the occasion to carry out any fabrication work but no big deal, I just thought i would pass on the information so people are aware and can take a good luck, Better to be safe than sorry, I would never have checked unless i had gone to Yamaha and noticed those 230s on one knee, Good Luck

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Geoff Cooper we're going to need to see some pictures of where you boat in Thailand,

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I suspect that means that the design of the trailer causes the tube in the front to pond water, whereas the rear must drain. Glad you spotted it before disaster![/QUOTE
@Geoff Cooper we're going to need to see some pictures of where you boat in Thailand,
That will be a pleasure once i can sort out how to upload the Pics, Bruce and Julian are both trying but we cant understand why i cannot upload the pics, The Pics on the post about the trailer repair were very kindly put on by Bruce after i emailed them to him, If you want to do the same i will willingly email some to you for you to look at as there are some wonderful places here, I go to the Islands about 15 or 20k from the coast they are lovely with clear water and it's very rare you ever see a footprint on the beaches there, my email is gac4@live.co.uk I have loads of mods and conversions that i have done to the Boat and when i have got the Pic problem sorted i will share them with all of you, Good Luck.