• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Managed to suck up a rock and jam the impeller - but engine won’t start

Whiskey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wel nice. I get the new steering cables installed and boat is running like a dream. Only for me to get too shallow in an area we’ve been in before with no issue and pull in mud and rocks through the port intake. A rock actually jammed in the impeller and we limped back on one engine. Pretty scary.

I cleared the rock today thanks to all of the great information on this forum, but the port engine will only click at the relay and not turn over.

Could I have damaged the starter trying to start the engine with the rock preventing the impeller from turning?

I think that is unlikely. I suggest you pull the pump out and thoroughly clean and inspect for damage. It could be you simply have debris jamming the impeller.

Wel nice. I get the new steering cables installed and boat is running like a dream. Only for me to get too shallow in an area we’ve been in before with no issue and pull in mud and rocks through the port intake. A rock actually jammed in the impeller and we limped back on one engine. Pretty scary.

I cleared the rock today thanks to all of the great information on this forum, but the port engine will only click at the relay and not turn over.

Could I have damaged the starter trying to start the engine with the rock preventing the impeller from turning?
You mentioned you limped home on one motor - hopefully you didn't ingest any water into your block when limping back. First thing I would do would be to check the oil for for signs of water and pull your plugs and try to turn the motor over.

If water comes out of the plugs, or if your oil is milky, change the oil a few times to remove the water.

You mentioned you limped home on one motor - hopefully you didn't ingest any water into your block when limping back. First thing I would do would be to check the oil for for signs of water and pull your plugs and try to turn the motor over.

If water comes out of the plugs, or if your oil is milky, change the oil a few times to remove the water.
I had this thought as well.....OR....Possibly have the starter still engaged and "wedged" into position. If you could spin the motor by hand first, that might free the starter from it's stuck position.

Check the plugs for water intrusion first though.

Thanks everyone. I'll check the starter and pull the plugs to look for water intrusion. Thank you.

Do you guys have any tips on the start removal? I tried getting to it yesterday and couldn't see the bolts to remove since it's in such an awkward location. Maybe a mirror on the bottom of the engine compartment would help.

Thanks everyone. I'll check the starter and pull the plugs to look for water intrusion. Thank you.

Do you guys have any tips on the start removal? I tried getting to it yesterday and couldn't see the bolts to remove since it's in such an awkward location. Maybe a mirror on the bottom of the engine compartment would help.
I'd do the plugs first, make sure you're not water locked! The starter, you could try putting your phone on video and reaching down into that space.

You say the engine just clicks when you try to turn it over… Makes me think dead battery or bad connection. Does the unaffected engine still start? Obviously check everything that was said above making sure there’s no water in the oil/plugs first. You could also pull the pump of the affected engine and try turn it over then. It won’t have the impeller as resistance either if there is an issue with the impeller itself, which I feel is highly unlikely..

Last edited:
You say the engine just clicks when you try to turn it over… Makes me think dead battery or bad connection. Does the unaffected engine still start? Obviously check everything that was said above making sure there’s no water in the oil/plugs first. You could also pull the pump of the affected engine and try turn it over then. It won’t have the impeller as resistance either if there is an issue with the impeller itself, which I feel is highly unlikely..
Had me wondering if he blew a fuse while trying to start it with impeller jammed. I'd check all the fuses on the ECU and in the fuse block.

I tried to start the engine with the pump removed when I was removing the rock, and the engine didn't turn over then either. It just did the same clicking noice which I think is the relay.

Tonight I will be able to work on the boat since the rain stopped.

I'll be checking these things:
Plugs for water in the oil
Check if the starter is jammed
Check the fuses in the ECU which I have never done and will need to look up how to do.

I tried to start the engine with the pump removed when I was removing the rock, and the engine didn't turn over then either. It just did the same clicking noice which I think is the relay.

Tonight I will be able to work on the boat since the rain stopped.

I'll be checking these things:
Plugs for water in the oil
Check if the starter is jammed
Check the fuses in the ECU which I have never done and will need to look up how to do.
The fuses for the ECU should be under the twist cap on the ECU box, which underneath this twist cap is where the starting solenoid is. You can try jumping the two screws on the solenoid to start it, obviously be careful and in well ventilated area since it will create spark. If it starts by jumping it with the screws I’d say your solenoid is bad, but still think it’s more likely a fuse, or hoping so.

The fuses for the ECU should be under the twist cap on the ECU box, which underneath this twist cap is where the starting solenoid is. You can try jumping the two screws on the solenoid to start it, obviously be careful and in well ventilated area since it will create spark. If it starts by jumping it with the screws I’d say your solenoid is bad, but still think it’s more likely a fuse, or hoping so.
Thank you, this is a big help.

I checked the plugs and they are dry. I’m a little worried because there is a small bit of oil blown onto the underside of the airbox cover. I hope nothing is amiss with the top end. :(

I can’t get the starter loose to save my life. Skipping that and moving onto the fuses.

Last edited:
The oil hopefully is just from me overfilling it a touch with this years oil change.

With the plugs out you could also try wrapping a strap wrench around the takeoff coupler and turning the motor by hand. This would at least ensure the motor is not seized, may even dislodge a hung starter if that may be the case. If all the electrical checks out, you could Also try lightly tapping on the starter body with a mallet a few times, sometimes takes a few cycles of tapping then trying to start.

Well I’ll be dammed. The solenoid died!

I jumped the two leads in the ECU box and it tried to start up. Thank you all for all the guidance. I was starting to get stressed out. I appreciate all the suggestions and support here. You guys are the best.

Now I just need to pull the ECU and replace the solenoid. Do you all think that’s doable solo or will I need my wife to (begrudgingly) help? :)

Now I just need to pull the ECU and replace the solenoid. Do you all think that’s doable solo or will I need my wife to (begrudgingly) help? :)
If you’re pulling the ECU box it’s a 2 person job for sure.. I swore you could replace the solenoid without pulling the whole thing but I’ve never had to do that so good luck!

I've done it myself, but it's a two person job. The first one I did alone, but the second one I got someone (wife?) to help. Nothing difficult, just dealing with bolts that go through the back compartment, and you can't reach the back to put the nuts on/off. The ECU does have to be removed, because the back side of the ECU is the panel that gets removed to gain access. When you reassemble, put a strip of duct tape across the top of the ECU's to protect them from water ingestion. It's a known issue for our vintage boats. Not a difficult job, but depending on the relay you get, you may have to cut the connectors off the wires of the new relay, and crimp/solder the old connectors to the new relay.

I've done it myself, but it's a two person job. The first one I did alone, but the second one I got someone (wife?) to help. Nothing difficult, just dealing with bolts that go through the back compartment, and you can't reach the back to put the nuts on/off. The ECU does have to be removed, because the back side of the ECU is the panel that gets removed to gain access. When you reassemble, put a strip of duct tape across the top of the ECU's to protect them from water ingestion. It's a known issue for our vintage boats. Not a difficult job, but depending on the relay you get, you may have to cut the connectors off the wires of the new relay, and crimp/solder the old connectors to the new relay.
Thanks for the duct tape tip, I'll definately do that. I've got the ECU off and the damn screws won't come out of the relay. It's so awkward trying to even reach the relay in the box that I can't get a good purchase on the screw. What a cluster. :jimlad:

what a headache. Someone used blue loctite on the relay screws. Is that normal? I’ve never seen a motorcycle owner do this, but this is a boat so maybe you want that on the two battery large connections on the relay ... I can’t see how it helps with current draw either.

Anyway, we should back in the water this weekend! Woohoo!

Last edited:
Back