• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Mooring cover vs 3rd party cover vs shipping cover (Yamaha)

soundshark

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Getting closer to getting an SX190. Dealer is pushing on the deluxe mooring cover, for $850 I believe. That's a lot of money so I'm probably just going to use the shipping cover the boat comes with.

My question is, how well does the shipping cover protect. Boat would be on a trailer most of the time.

Then there is also the aftermarket alternative (http://amzn.com/B00OTXJGI6) for $272.

Get them to throw in the mooring cover as part of the deal.

$850!!! Sounds way expensive !! I bought my 210 Yamaha cover for $540.00 shipped ..

Yeah, I'm looking on Amazon and I could have it for around $500. Still painful but a lot more tolerable. The real question is do I really need it? The boat will not be sitting in the water - I will launch from the trailer each day I use it.

Get them to through in the deluxe mooring cover as part of the deal. The yami cover is worth it.

The shipping cover does not breath....so if you are in a humid environment or cover the boat wet....you may get a mold/mildew problem. Agree with other suggestions to get the cover included in the deal at no cost, or very reduced cost.

Yeah, I'm looking on Amazon and I could have it for around $500. Still painful but a lot more tolerable. The real question is do I really need it? The boat will not be sitting in the water - I will launch from the trailer each day I use it.
I am the same way , but if your boat ever gets caught in the rain on the trailer ... Also my seats won't stay in the boat while trailering with out the cover on lol . Not sure if they changed the design on the 190's

$850 is outrageous...

The price is already agreed on and throw-in options exhausted, so the best I can do is ask them to match Amazon. Sounds like I should.

The shipping cover does not breath....so if you are in a humid environment or cover the boat wet....you may get a mold/mildew problem. Agree with other suggestions to get the cover included in the deal at no cost, or very reduced cost.

Aren't boats stored like this for months, to sometimes a year or more with the shipping cover on? That aren't sold and in the dealer's yard.

Also, they are worth buying. Any other cover is junk compared to it. Fits like a glove and looks great. Ebay has them for 499.99

soundshark said:

If you are near the marina, no real need for the cover while towing unless you are doing highway speeds. I am ten minutes from the marina and never went above 25. The shipping cover is more bulky but I had the mooring cover for storage. As the shipping cover does not breath even though it has vents, it's going to cause you mildew issues here on LI. IMOHO the shipping cover will breakdown over time since it is not UV protected. Bite the bullet and go with the mooring cover if you can afford it.

I used and prefer the shipping cover for off Season long term storage. My boat lives outside all year long and the shipping cover was water tight for two seasons. I even trailered with it occasionally without issue. Once it starts getting old due to temperature cycling and general exposure the outer plastic layer starts to crack so the inner felt/felt like layer will soak up and retain water instead of repel it and eventually it turns into a moldy sponge.

Saying get the dealer to throw one in is easier said than done for many. Demand for these boats and accessories is high and supply is low where I live so getting a dealer to include a big extra like that is not likely. If this is the case for you @soundshark , I suggest you buy an oem mooring cover online as well as try and get an extra shipping cover or as many as you can from your dealer for free (many new buyers don't want or get the shipping cover so they leave them with the dealers who often give them away or throw them away or so I've heard/read). They are not items that you can order from yamaha and online they sell for $100 to $300. Use the mooring cover in season and the shipping cover(s) off season.

Here is a current link to a mooring cover for $500 shipped.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Yam...ale-/221445108029?hash=item338f28313d&vxp=mtr

Greatlakesskipper is a good place to get shipping covers from but you may have to wait for the one you need to become available.
http://stores.ebay.com/greatlakesskipper?rt=nc&_from=R40&_trksid=p2056350.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.A0.H0.Xyamaha shipping cover.TRS2&_nkw=yamaha shipping cover&_sacat=0

Congrats on the pending purchase and good luck with the cover.

Last edited:
Aren't boats stored like this for months, to sometimes a year or more with the shipping cover on? That aren't sold and in the dealer's yard.
They sure are....which is why there is a dealer prep fee!:winkingthumbsup"

Also, most people who get the shipping cover say the don't last well. They probably aren't designed for multiple on/off cycles....

The big difference between the shopping cover and the deluxe mooring cover is that the dlx cover is UV protected and water tightand fits and seals better.

Don't listen to everyone "have them throw it in....bs" if they throw it in just means they increased the cost of the boat and zeroed out the cost of the cover, or they had another $500 margin in the boat you could have talked them down. Just get the best deal on the boat and ask for a good deal on the cover. The more games you pay with your dealer the more they will play with you.

Last edited:
I had a custom cover made that blows away the Yamaha cover I had for much less than that.

Unfortunately for most people on the forum, it was from an Amish shop called Erb's Custom Canvas in Conneautville, PA. He requires the boat to be there, he doesn't work off previous templates.

Back