• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

More evidence that drinking and boating don't mix....

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Riding on the stern of their 21 foot Yamaha, at dusk, at 40 mph through chop, after a day of drinking. She is lucky to be alive. Yet another reason to avoid drinking alcohol on a boat......The 2d paragraph says it all. "....spent Sunday afternoon drinking in sunshine and cold beer."

What was the captain of this Yamaha thinking? Oh, that's right - he's drunk. He isn't thinking. Too bad they had a rescue operation to attend to and didn't charge this guy with boating while intoxicated. Take the alcohol out of the equation and we are not here....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/you-are-not-going-to-die-out-here-a-womans-terrifying-night-in-the-chesapeake/2016/06/29/21a9a24c-3e02-11e6-80bc-d06711fd2125_story.html

Blazin14

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It sounded like she was sitting on the back of the boat..not safe nor approved...I blame the captan too...

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yea I make sure to stay clear of drinking and boating Everyone says oh not me I can handle it, yea right. I see idiots every weekend. I've had 2 family members killed by drinking and driving, neither of which were the ones drinking. I you have to have alcohol to boat then take up another hobby. Just my opinion.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yea I make sure to stay clear of drinking and boating Everyone says oh not me I can handle it, yea right. I see idiots every weekend. I've had 2 family members killed by drinking and driving, neither of which were the ones drinking. I you have to have alcohol to boat then take up another hobby. Just my opinion.
If you have to have alcohol to do anything.....you need to assess the situation....

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
True but certain things do not belong together, like driving a boat and alcohol. Believe me I like my drink but i wont have any if I'm driving the boat. I have nothing against drinking and partying and loud music on a boat but there needs to be a designated driver. I'm thinking a sober driver wouldn't have someone riding on the stern at 40 mph, or maybe just a dummy.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
As long as you aren't legally under the influence I have no issue...but lots of boaters (just like car drivers) seem to struggle with following the law. I'll have a couple of beers out on the boat...but stay well within the limits. It isn't clear if this guy was drunk....but cruising at 40mph in low light with someone on the back was reckless (and alcohol often induces reckless behavior)

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't see a problem with drinking as long as you don't get drunk and the passenger should be able to drink. I don't understand why she would be on the back especially if the boat was really doing 40 at dusk. 40 is really rough if you have any waves at all. I never let anyone ride there unless we were going real slow (no wake). There are lots of threads about where it is legal and where it is not. Didn't sound like anyone got a BUI so maybe the driver wasn't as drunk as it appears just ignorant of the safety ( I am being polite).

M@__

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
If everyone just had a 2 smoker no one would want to ride back there. I say blame 4 strokes.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You guys need to tap the brakes a little on slamming these people. Everyone knows how the media love to exaggerate the story with as many catchy adjectives as they can. The evening news is a perfect example of this. Media feel the need to jazz up a story and make it sizzle with as many adjectives as possible. The fact that no one was charged tells the story. Very brave girl with a lot of fight in her.