• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need Advice on Which Yamaha to buy

Chris Fehling

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Hey guys! My family and I are considering our first boat purchase. We have always heard "buy your second boat first" and since I have a large young family (4 kids 7 and under) I know we will most likely want to purchase a 24 footer. I am wondering what would be best for our purposes. My boys love to tube now and I would like to learn wake surfing. We would like to do some traditional skiing and wake boarding as well (at least I expect as my children get older they will want to). Which boats should I be looking at? AR240 or 242x E series (or some other boat)? Please help! We would like this to be our boat for the next 10 years.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Chris Fehling

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I have noticed a lot of people talking about having issues with the 242x. I have found one for $66,600, which I know is a steal of a price for an X, but the AR240 is $54K there as well. How much would I have to do to the AR to make it what I would need?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You can get closeish to the e-throttles with Ridesteady or Perfectpass. You can't replicate the bimini....but if you aren't in the south maybe that doesn't matter? The stereo is easily (with money) acheived.

I'd take your wife to the dealer and have her check out the models too....sometimes they are the deciding factor!!!

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm shopping as well. I think it comes down to how much of a DIY/tinkerer you are and your cash situation. If you are handy and like to tinker with things I would get the AR and then, over time, you can add the bits and pieces to make it a wake boat. You will be money ahead and will be able to spread out the costs. On the other hand, if you don't like tinkering (or, like in my case, have no time) then just get the 242X, Yamaha surf package (includes the wakebooster), and Gantlin custom transom bag, and you are surfing.

Chris Fehling

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I know the Surf package is 1k, how much is the Gantlin custom transon bag?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
since you don't need a dedicated sports boat a Yamaha is a good choice,
where will you be boating ?

my Yamaha was my first boat with 3 kids under 11,
Will your wife drive the boat? Mine didn't so I didn't really get to do any boarding for the first three years,

Your kids will probably start out on a knee board, it's the easiest, then either surf of wakeboard, to surf at such a small stature your current wave should be sufficient, it's very rare we see anyone on skis anymore (the wakeboard is much easier to get up on),

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'd take your wife to the dealer and have her check out the models too....sometimes they are the deciding factor!!!
My wife voted for the more vibrant colors of the upholstery on the X. And, once you’ve gotten used to the e-throttles, it takes a minute to remember how to drive a boat with actual throttle cables. Lol. The feel is quite different.

Also, we surely aren’t in the South, but are loving the large bimini all the same. It wouldn’t be a required item, I suppose, but now that we have it I would have a hard time going smaller.

Chris Fehling

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Thanks for the heads up on the bimini. We do live in the South (NC) so that difference in size would be huge (especially for kiddos napping). My wife would probably drive as well, so I would have a chance to play.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the heads up on the bimini. We do live in the South (NC) so that difference in size would be huge (especially for kiddos napping). My wife would probably drive as well, so I would have a chance to play.
OK, so where in NC are you? We are having a gathering on Falls Lake August 10th ....you are welcome to come on out and see and drive a variety of different models!

https://jetboaters.net/threads/raleigh-nc-jetboaters-gathering-on-falls-lake-august-10th-2019.20833/

Also, add your location to your profile...it will help with finding locals willing to assist you long term.

JasonSchoenrock

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Interesting perspective on the bimini top. I wanted the XE, but the non-removable bimini was a no-go for my wife who loves the sun. If I had it to do over again, I'd go with the XE (and maybe an after-market smaller bimini) as I've upgraded the stereo, added sea deck, and added a built-in ballast system, but still do not have the electronic drive system, which would be nice.

I'm in NC as well - on Lake Norman.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm shopping as well. I think it comes down to how much of a DIY/tinkerer you are and your cash situation. If you are handy and like to tinker with things I would get the AR and then, over time, you can add the bits and pieces to make it a wake boat. You will be money ahead and will be able to spread out the costs. On the other hand, if you don't like tinkering (or, like in my case, have no time) then just get the 242X, Yamaha surf package (includes the wakebooster), and Gantlin custom transom bag, and you are surfing.
@grywlfbg nailed it. As far as a base model platform goes, you can't beat the AR240. Spend the extra money doing it the easy you want, if you have the means.
- Stereo upgrade
- Hydrophase Ridesteady
- Ballast
- Lighting
- Extra Shade
- Seadek
- Surf gear

It's all available

The 242X on the other hand could be considered just that much closer to start.