• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need help with wiring for GPS/Fish Finder please

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm going to pull the trigger on a Garmin Echomap unit soon and I am a little hestitant about doing the install myself but am going to have to figure it out anyway. I don't have any issue with mounting the unit but do need some help with the wiring, if someone can chime in. Did a brief search but didn't really find anything detailed to help me out. So my main question would be what power source would be the best to tap into? I was thinking the cigarette lighter port for the power and ground. Would anyone advise not to tap into it this way? If not, what other sources have you guys used to power different add on units?

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used the power & ground for the factory depth finder. I'll be replacing that OE finder to either a hour meter or battery condition gauge

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
There is an orange "GPS" plug that has power to it and not used in our harness that I used here is a REFERENCE with pictures. I've used it in our '13 and again on our '18 SX195.

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is an orange "GPS" plug that has power to it and not used in our harness that I used here is a REFERENCE with pictures. I've used it in our '13 and again on our '18 SX195.
Great! I saw that post but had no idea what that plug was. I'll go look to see if I have that same unused plug.

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I just took a look and these are the cables that are not plugged in - labled "RES1", "RES2", and "DIAG". I'm assuming the "DIAG" is to plug in some diagnostic reader. What about the "RES1" and "RES2"? Does anyone know if these would be okay to be tapped for power and ground?
wires.jpg
I also need to figure out how I'm going to mount the transducer. I'm thinking of using a no drill transducer mount plate but need to route the cable inside the boat. I saw this hole underneath and was wondering if I could run the wire through there. Anyone know what this hole is supposed to be for?
hull.jpg

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What is the name of this? I've been trying to find one to buy but can't freaking find it without knowing what its called!
transducer.jpg

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I just took a look and these are the cables that are not plugged in - labled "RES1", "RES2", and "DIAG". I'm assuming the "DIAG" is to plug in some diagnostic reader. What about the "RES1" and "RES2"? Does anyone know if these would be okay to be tapped for power and ground?
View attachment 123684
I also need to figure out how I'm going to mount the transducer. I'm thinking of using a no drill transducer mount plate but need to route the cable inside the boat. I saw this hole underneath and was wondering if I could run the wire through there. Anyone know what this hole is supposed to be for?
View attachment 123683
That would be your scupper. Your going to have to drill a hole and use a “thru hull” fitting for your wire. I just installed mine through the original depth finder hole in the hull seeing I’m not using the OE finder anymore.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks man! I've really only had experience just tapping existing wires so not sure if I'm going to be able to run new power wire with a fuse box. I'm already a little nervous about having to do the install without running new wire.....

Here's my plan so far:
1. Mount the Garmin Echomap UGH 64cv on the dash in front of the phone holder and tap power and ground from the cigarette lighter
2. Bought a sternsaver plate to mount the transducer to the hull - is there a better side to mount the transducer - Starboard or port?
3. Was trying to figure out a way to not have to drill any holes in the hull but I guess I will need to drill a hole to run the transducer cable through - all holes to to plugged with some marine silicone

Anyone see any issues with this? Sorry but I'm a total newb to this so I'm really glad for this forum - now if I can only get one of you guys to come do it for me.......lol!

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry to sound stupid but what the heck is this hole for??
hole.jpg

JTrottaNY

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
What is the name of this? I've been trying to find one to buy but can't freaking find it without knowing what its called!
View attachment 123793
Check out Scanstrut cable seal... best option I could find. Once you get past the uneasy feeling of drilling a hole in your new hull, the install is very easy. I recently posted a photo of my transducer install.

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks! Just bought one!

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
just mounted unit! Waiting on some cable connectors so i can run the cables.
2D330744-8164-46CA-A23E-B758903A5EFE.jpeg

JTrottaNY

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
looks good, and that's a hell of a garage you've got to work in! 🤤

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Benefits of being in logistics. That’s my warehouse.